A frame ...not happy at all (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Had an a frame fitted last year and not happy at all.
Noticed on way up here car seemed jerky on braking.

Away on hols near skipton come to hitch up car and brake cable seems really tight.
Had a look and it's resting on the drive shaft and obviously been wearing away.it's now flattish on the underneath
15265512473471775333537.jpg

looks like they've suspended it on cable ties and ones given way but cable ties are attached to the car brake pipes
15265512473471775333537.jpg

Rang them up and really not being helpful.my immediate thought it possibly being unsafe is that they'd send a fitter straight out to make it safe. Its only 80 miles away.Wouldn't have thought brake pipes should be used to support anything.
Awaiting a call back from them to see what they are going to do

What would you do now?

Attachments

• 15265513293761405019236.jpg
    15265513293761405019236.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 94

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Had an a frame fitted last year and not happy at all.
Noticed on way up here car seemed jerky on braking.

Away on hols near skipton come to hitch up car and brake cable seems really tight.
Had a look and it's resting on the drive shaft and obviously been wearing away.it's now flattish on the underneath
View attachment 232002
looks like they've suspended it on cable ties and ones given way but cable ties are attached to the car brake pipesView attachment 232002
Rang them up and really not being helpful.my immediate thought it possibly being unsafe is that they'd send a fitter straight out to make it safe. Its only 80 miles away.Wouldn't have thought brake pipes should be used to support anything.
Awaiting a call back from them to see what they are going to do

What would you do now?
Give them a chance to fix it and if not name them, to be honest i think i would want the whole lot checked given what they have done anyway but thats just me.

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Oh ifs there's any problem getting them to make it safe their name will be posted everywhere.

Reactions: zac
May 31, 2017
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr e560
Exp
since 2016
I think you are looking at P.A.S. pipes.
But agree not a very good job, ask for the cable to be replaced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think a firm that fitted it like that is extremely unlikely to think they should jump in a van a drive out to 80 miles fix it

You had best get it looked at locally, or if it will wait till back then get the original fitters to look and sort

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Appears that when fitted a cable tie was attached to lift the brake cable to prevent rubbing. Possibly difficult to re route to avoid which might cause an unnecessary bend so another cable tie to lift it clear would probably solve the problem.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
That looks like quality work to me. :gum:

A definite don’t care attitude. I know it is a completely different thing but during my apprenticeship, misuse of a tool would cost the apprentice one days pay. The classic one was a file, which only cuts one way, so it’s forward, lift, back, down, forward, lift, back down. It’s called standards and pride in what you do. That was 55 years ago, but the same standards should apply today. Sadly they are not and one reason why this country is in such a sh*t hole.:emo:

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
On looking yes it's PAS PIPES .but still not satisfactory place to anchor anything .

when brakes are used cable straightens and flexes PAS pipes .

£1200 for a bodge job I don't think so

Mechanic on farm here says it looks like a child has fitted it.

Latest.......when explained I'd either drive it or run it into local garage all at their expense they've agreed to send a "lad" out tomorrow with a couple of cables.

When it's fixed then I will name and shame .

When a company doesn't care about safety others need to be warned.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There is no drive shaft in the picture and the brake cable appears to be cable tied to the aircon pipes (or maybe PAS) but pas is not normally ally (but things change) The item that it seems to be rubbing on is a anti roll bar . Ideally they should have put a metal bracket secured on the anti roll bar mounting , but cable ties are used frequently and are sufficient for most purposes , a second as a safety would have been an idea . The bowden cable probably needs replacing , but there is nothing happening there that is life threatening , no brake pipes in pic . HTSH
ps you are probably getting worried due to a lack of knowledge , that makes you think the situation is far worse than it is. :)

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
There is no drive shaft in the picture and the brake cable appears to be cable tied to the aircon pipes (or maybe PAS) but pas is not normally ally (but things change) The item that it seems to be rubbing on is a anti roll bar . Ideally they should have put a metal bracket secured on the anti roll bar mounting , but cable ties are used frequently and are sufficient for most purposes , a second as a safety would have been an idea . The bowden cable probably needs replacing , but there is nothing happening there that is life threatening , no brake pipes in pic . HTSH
ps you are probably getting worried due to a lack of knowledge , that makes you think the situation is far worse than it is. :)
I think I know what a drive shaft looks like
And whether something is safe or not.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
To be fair , I don’t think your first photos showed a drive shaft but the last one it’s obvious , but again I would if possible use a cable tie even if only as a temporary measure.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Bowden cable should have been secured with proper metal clips to something solid like a bit of the metal bodywork. No way cable ties should ever have been used.

Sadly, this example reinforces why A Frames are highly questionable because companies are doing things completely unregulated without following the sort of standards the vehicle manufacturers have to follow.

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
To be fair , I don’t think your first photos showed a drive shaft but the last one it’s obvious , but again I would if possible use a cable tie even if only as a temporary measure.

You might use anything as temporary but I certainly wouldn't do a bodge on brakes
The outer casing has worn away both the rubber outer and the metal. and the inner cable is sticking as it passes through the damaged section it's probably partly cut through this as well.
I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to do anything temporary especially on a safety feature.

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
The Bowden cable should have been secured with proper metal clips to something solid like a bit of the metal bodywork. No way cable ties should ever have been used.

Sadly, this example reinforces why A Frames are highly questionable because companies are doing things completely unregulated without following the sort of standards the vehicle manufacturers have to follow.
Agree. But surely they still have a responsibility to make everything is safe to use.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Agree. But surely they still have a responsibility to make everything is safe to use.
Absolutely, it should be safe and should never have left their workshop like that - assuming it did of course and hasn't been altered subsequently.*. My broader point is do these companies operate under any sort of code of practice? I suspect not but this means they are fiddling with braking systems without following any standards.

*My lawyer has advised me to add that bit. :)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You might use anything as temporary but I certainly wouldn't do a bodge on brakes
The outer casing has worn away both the rubber outer and the metal. and the inner cable is sticking as it passes through the damaged section it's probably partly cut through this as well.
I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to do anything temporary especially on a safety feature.

If this is the overrun cable then just don’t use the a frame, provided the cable is temporarily kept clear of the drive shaft then the car should be safe to use until the cable is replaced.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think I know what a drive shaft looks like
And whether something is safe or not.
I was going by the pics you posted , not being telepathic I was unable to ascertain that the contact between a drive shaft and a bowden cable was occurring as you stated. My subsequent remarks were all based on what you posted . There was nothing in the pics that was life threatening . The danger level in the final pic is a matter of judgement , same as using an A frame in the first place, as some would say .

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If the cable snapped or you disconnected it, your then pulling an unbraked trailer over 750kg which is illegal.
As has been said crap workmanship, should have fixed properly, what else have the bodged?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's what I expected them to say. Totally unacceptable the job need redoing properly.
There is a clue in the name "Cable Ties" they are not designed to hold heavy brake cable and certainly shouldn't have been attached to a brake/power steering pipe.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That is rubbing on the car drive shaft and it will not be long going through the cable. far too tight and cable ties to the power steering is not good either. I take it they want you to goo back with it but by then the cable will have had it and so will the brakes.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Cable ties in themselves aren't a 'bodge'. They are immensely strong (try a 3mm one zipped as a stirrup - it will carry your weight). The problem is the attachment and routing of the cable. The cable has to accommodate movement caused by operation of the brakes and by the vertical movement of the toad relative to the mh so the position and design of the first anchor point and connection to the A frame cable or rod is critical. Routing should be as straight as possible to avoid excessive straining of the cable and its mountings. Ideally the cable should not move at all within the engine bay.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
In my opinion, that is worthy of Trading Standards involvement.

Shockingly bad workmanship.

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Cable ties in themselves aren't a 'bodge'. They are immensely strong (try a 3mm one zipped as a stirrup - it will carry your weight).
Don't agree had loads fail just with a small amount of pressure on them. They won't break but the ratchet grip gives way.
In they days when you could only buy only branded ones they were a lot better nowadays mostly cheap Chinese crap.
IMO opinion a totally bodged job, cable ties are cables why else would they call them cable ties.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'd report it to the trading standards, that's the worst case of professional neglect I've seen.

There must be a tremendous amount of heat buildup as the drive shaft rotates on the cable. Plus the strain with the fact that cable ties are attempting to pull the cable out of the way.

Shoddy shoddy workmanship. Is the company even registered as an ISO, have an accredited Chartered Engineer status, or a bunch of cowboys as the pictures dictate.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I'd report it to the trading standards, that's the worst case of professional neglect I've seen.

There must be a tremendous amount of heat buildup as the drive shaft rotates on the cable. Plus the strain with the fact that cable ties are attempting to pull the cable out of the way.

Shoddy shoddy workmanship. Is the company even registered as an ISO, have an accredited Chartered Engineer status, or a bunch of cowboys as the pictures dictate.
I do agree with what you say but none of these companies will be ISO and I must say the majority of motor home companies I have bought from are cowboys!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back