Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
What voltage should an inverter give out? I have a 150w one (used for last 2 years) that reads out at less than 200V now, sometimes as low as 180v.

Do they give a full 220/230V or will the output be a little lower? It only has a cig. lighter plug & no matter which socket I plug it into the read out is the same.

I use it for powering the sat. receiver when not on EHU & so far it has been OK for over 2 years. Now when we use it the remote on the Sky box it doesn't work when no EHU, but on mains it is OK. I checked the remote with our home one, & all OK worked fine. The sat. box will work using the buttons on the box with no EHU but they only have limited functions so that's not ideal.

Got a new inverter which gives more voltage, over 200V, but still don't work. Any ideas

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
should be 230v <> constant.

have you 'proved' the meter on a known 230v supply....could be the test meter and not the invertor.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Keith

what type of inverter .. modified or true sine wave ?

In order to measure a non-sine wave or a modified waveform, a "true RMS" meter is required.

If have a modified sine wave inverter and you don't have an expensive RMS meter, connect an incandescent light bulb. If it looks like its normal bright white, you can safely assume that the RMS voltage is in its normal range.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
OK

Next step test the meter, plug into home mains & it shows 240V so that seems to be OK. :thumb:

Next Jim's idea, plug into van electrics & plug a 60W bulb in. Inverter now shows 230V, bulb bright, uncomfortable to stare at, so that seems to be OK. :thumb:

Plug in Sky box & get 209V on test screen & box remote is now working OK. :Doh:

Any idea why? Have I woken the inverter up?

It does seem strange that the voltage varies as to what is plugged in. With no load it still shows below 200V but increases according to the load. Does that make sense?

PS It's a modified sine wave Jim

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you draw more watts than the inverter is designed for then the votage will drop. What is the wattage of the unit? Ah! just viewed you original post, 150w, so again, could it be that you are asking for more that the unit can provide?

Doug...

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
If you draw more watts than the inverter is designed for then the votage will drop. What is the wattage of the unit? Ah! just viewed you original post, 150w, so again, could it be that you are asking for more that the unit can provide?

Doug...

No Doug. Sky b ox is something like 18W, doesn't even get warm running that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back