Heading North from Lake Vyrnwy towards Bala (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2018
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Autoquest Elddis 140
Exp
2 years
Hi everybody,
A nights stop over has been recommended to me at Lake Vyrnwy and then head north again enroute to Abersoch for the week.

Has anybody driven that minor mountain road north from the lake in a 6.5m MH ?? It looks do-able on streetview but just wondered about some of the little bridges and narrow cattle grids.

I see the sign for "heavy vehicles"...should I class my 3t MH as that?

Sorry from dumb questions but new to this game!!

I know that if I had any real doubts I can go back the way I came but just wondered if anybody else has experience of this road, and it is worth trying it?

Many thanks Spike

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I had to look on Google maps to find out you were in the UK - Lake Vyrnwy sounds like somewhere in East Europe! :)

I can't help but if the road has houses on it then White Van Man will do deliveries. But it depends on ground clearance. I've been over hump-backed bridges on Dartmoor in our 6m 3.5t PVC but other MHs may not have the ground clearance - especially at the back.

Just drive slowly. :)

OP
OP
Spike62
Apr 18, 2018
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Autoquest Elddis 140
Exp
2 years
I had to look on Google maps to find out you were in the UK - Lake Vyrnwy sounds like somewhere in East Europe! :)

I can't help but if the road has houses on it then White Van Man will do deliveries. But it depends on ground clearance. I've been over hump-backed bridges on Dartmoor in our 6m PVC but other MHs may not have the ground clearance - especially at the back.

Just drive slowly. :)

Yeah sorry DBK...this .,was meant to be in the routes and road forum but it seems to be be a ski one for some reason?? Totally agree to take it slowly. Thanks, Spike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
You should be fine, all roads are ok. just avoid tracks. I love that area if you can avoid the rain. Elan Valley also good.
The worst thing I found in Wales are the low stone walls on some roads with no pavement on near side and judging how far from them you are. But with a bit of experience you soon get used to it.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Know the road well enjoy it, lovely drive. I take its the one through Hirnant? The one that ends on the Bala side of Bala Lake. There is another too that's doable a bit longer through Bwlch yr Groes (pass of the Cross) that comes down on the NW end of Bala lake away from the town. Leave Vynrwy on the Dinas Mawddwy road that will give you one of the most spectacular views in Wales, straight down the other side of the pass as you turn right for Bala. both are narrow with passing places, but suitable for everything but coach sized vans.

OP
OP
Spike62
Apr 18, 2018
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Autoquest Elddis 140
Exp
2 years
Know the road well enjoy it, lovely drive. I take its the one through Hirnant? The one that ends on the Bala side of Bala Lake. There is another too that's doable a bit longer through Bwlch yr Groes (pass of the Cross) that comes down on the NW end of Bala lake away from the town. Leave Vynrwy on the Dinas Mawddwy road that will give you one of the most spectacular views in Wales, straight down the other side of the pass as you turn right for Bala. both are narrow with passing places, but suitable for everything but coach sized vans.

Glandwr,
Many thanks. Initial thought was to do the first route you mention but other one looks just as nice if not better. We have an Elddis 140 so I plan to give it a go !!!! Cheers, Spike

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
There s a lovely o/n wild spot up the left side of the lake by the waterfalls ( been on here before) but only do it if your insect screens are good.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Spent many a night at the the Lake it's magical and so quiet when everyone's left for the day. The shops and the walks by the carvings is a must. If you have bikes it's lovely going around the lake lots of waterfalls to find, it's lovely to see them after heavy rainfall hoping you don't get rain though but it is definitely a lovely place to visit

OP
OP
Spike62
Apr 18, 2018
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Autoquest Elddis 140
Exp
2 years
Spent many a night at the the Lake it's magical and so quiet when everyone's left for the day. The shops and the walks by the carvings is a must. If you have bikes it's lovely going around the lake lots of waterfalls to find, it's lovely to see them after heavy rainfall hoping you don't get rain though but it is definitely a lovely place to visit

Looking forward to finding the waterfalls.....not so easy on Google Earth !!! Thanks for response, Spike

OP
OP
Spike62
Apr 18, 2018
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Autoquest Elddis 140
Exp
2 years
There s a lovely o/n wild spot up the left side of the lake by the waterfalls ( been on here before) but only do it if your insect screens are good.

Screens are like new !!! looking for waterfalls on Google Earth !!! Thanks, Spike

OP
OP
Spike62
Apr 18, 2018
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Autoquest Elddis 140
Exp
2 years
Glandwr,
Just looked at Google Maps again....I think we are talking slightly different areas ?? I was thinking directly out of the northern tip of the lake and head up that road that starts at Rhiwargor, just round the corner from the car park. It eventually comes out at Rhos-y-gwaliau. Ever done that route ??
I think the road you mention coming out by Bala side of Lake Bala is the B4397 through Pencraig ??
Thanks
Spike

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Yes know both roads well, used to travel them regularly when I was younger and travelled distances to meet women.

Stand on the dam look up the dam and think of the what you call the northern tip as one of the 2 ears or horns at the top of the lake. The road you mention is the right one comes out at Rhos yr Gwalia.

There's a road also leading off the left one. Maybe it is signed Llanymawddwy rather than Dinas Mawddwy. When you get to the only junction at Bwlch yr Groes turn right and you meet Bala Lake at Llanuwchllyn although probably the most spectacular part of the route would be turn left to Dinas. That's the longer alternative I was thinking of to Bala.

Funny had to check tonight on Osmond maps. :D even though they are roads I have always known. The number of times I returned on one or the other after midnight with a belly full of beer, sometimes as the driver buts let's not mention that. Used to go for what were called Twmpath Dawns, Welsh country dancing!

Dick

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
There's a road also leading off the left one. Maybe it is signed Llanymawddwy rather than Dinas Mawddwy. When you get to the only junction at Bwlch yr Groes turn right and you meet Bala Lake at Llanuwchllyn although probably the most spectacular part of the route would be turn left to Dinas. That's the longer alternative I was thinking of to Bala.

Dick
I agree with you there Dick; Spectacular is exactly the right word for the view from the top.

One thing I would add is that the first part of that road is narrow steep and gravelly. I havent been over it in a MH, I think it would be alright but good idea to pick your time carefully as you would want it to be quiet, not a Sunday.

Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back