turns out that I can't drive :( (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
50 miles on a new motorhome, and destroyed my o/s side mirror on an oncoming builders van, not good, confidence firmly knocked, not impressed with myself. Road was narrow, I knew it, could have gone another way home, was in the works traffic too. Might take some time to gain confidence back. Daft question, but other than just driving it, is there any particular practice thats worthwhile to start judging the size (mainly width) of the van ?

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
It was a bad set of circumstances, a curve in the road, was only going slow, we both slowed further, but there just wasn’t the room on the road, if I’d stopped, he would have still hit me, might have been less damage though, still, I could have handled the situation better

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Nothing to say that the builder's van wasn't driving properly. Unless of course it was stationary..:whistle::whistle: Practice, practice, practice.

And buy a set of Mirror Guards..(y)(y):D2

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It was a bad set of circumstances, a curve in the road, was only going slow, we both slowed further, but there just wasn’t the room on the road, if I’d stopped, he would have still hit me, might have been less damage though, still, I could have handled the situation better
I would put that one down to bad luck. Advice as above - if you were stopped, he hit you! Get a good dashcam and drive on. Don’t dwell on it.

P.S. probably cheaper not to claim off insurance - there is a place online where you can source replacements. https://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/motorhome-mirrors

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Sorry that you hit something, but at least a mirror is a “bolt on thing” and easily replaced, even though not cheap. Put it down to experience, get it fixed and move on. Think back to when you first drove a car, it probably felt really wide. Try driving between cones in an empty carpark to see how close your judgement is.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
As said above you do need to be prepared to stop if you think you may not comfortably run completely in your own side of the road.
That said I had a blue transit over the white line who broke my mirror this January on a fairly tight road even with Mirror Guards fitted.
Most mirror and case parts are available at a fraction of the complete unit cost and quite easy to repair.
I glued the mirror guard and replaced the casing, indicator and lower mirror glass for £47.
It’s not worth beating yourself up about as it happens to plenty of drivers at some point or other

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I've had 3 in the last 3 years, the last one I managed to pull up before the local bus (that didn't slow down) hit....

Mine only cost a £5 and take minutes to replace but it's always a shock when it happens

Don't dwell on it just be glad no other damage was done(y)

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
My tip is when you start reversing it take your time and remember to check the front of the van as well. You can get so fixed on looking in the mirrors when reversing and forget the front and catch a front corner. Remember nobody was born a driver we all learned.

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I've been driving all sorts big and small for 50 years and I still have nervous moments on narrow roads but you just have to keep soldiering on and as others have said if in doubt stop. I also think you can use the view in your mirrors to gauge your position as you drive, in my opinion mirrors just as important forward as backward movement even at speed. Don't be put off, we've all been there or come pretty close.
Relax and enjoy.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am so sorry to hear of your misadventure. Take heart that I am sure you are not the only one driving a new, wider than a car vehicle to encounter a minor accident..
When we walk our feet skim obstacles by millimetres as we sense the exact distance to do so. When we first learn to drive, gauging the width of your first car is at first quite a challenge until that sixth sense kicks in, then, once familiar with our car we can boldly go through previously unthinkable gaps.
I gather you are driving a new, to you, van after driving confidently in your car. Step into a familiar driving position behind the wheel and that finely honed driving skill may well fool you once, but the mirror will be a difficult to forget reminder to allow a tad more space in the van. No need to lose confidence, treat it as a learning experience and move on.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Thank you guys, I’ll be out this evening for a drive about :) good point about using the mirrors to judge passing distances ‘forwards’

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
a lost mirror isnt any reason to doubt your driving , probably just as much the other blokes fault, builders van? bet he isnt worrying about his , just an everyday occurance to delivery drivers and the like , must admit iv broke quite a few in my van driving days.

Upvote 0

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Fit mirrorguards with reflective tape attached, facing forwards. It works wonders on modifying the behaviour of oncoming drivers. I honestly don't think some of them see the black mirror casings, but make them brightly coloured and high vis, and they suddenly think something twice the width is coming towards them :)

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I was given a useful bit of advice from an ex-trucker. If you look in your wing mirror you should be able to see the centre line. If you can't, maybe you are too far over

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear about your mishap, although thank goodness it wasn't worse.

If you have a modern coachbuilt Ducato/Peugeot-based van (post 2006), the long-arm rear view mirrors stick out an inordinate amount. And you really do need plenty of space to get through safely.

As others have suggested, it's worth putting something bright and reflective on the back of the mirror covers - if your van is white, for example, the black mirrors just do not show up to oncoming drivers.

Try not to let the incident bother you too much and start enjoying your new van! (y)

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
In those famous words s**t happens, sort out the damage and move on.

Ive taken to driving with my lights on then oncoming traffic can be slightly intimidated and makes them realise your not a small car, so concentrates their mind a little :)

Relax and enjoy (y)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Don’t come to Croatia, they all drive in the middle of the road....:confused:

Many a time in the last two weeks a car has come round a corner and seen me to swerve back to his side.....:eek:

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Because you are driving a "new" vehicle you have to get your brains "spatial awareness" reset to the new vehicle . This is done by familiarity , and can be speeded up by increased inputs eg look in your mirrors frequently (you should anyway) and try and relate the vehicle to say the center white line , and then immediately do the same with nearside , this will build a "model" of size of vehicle in your head . Then you can use this model (subconsciously) to guage the extra needed for the mirrors. Like bike riding , if you stop driving your MoHo , for a spell , take extra care when you next drive and repeat the above exercise to dial yourself in quicker .
I have found it works well in my RV and that's 2.55mtrs before the mirrors start , and I am sat on the LHS , I have also put diagonal reflex white , and Hi vis yellow stripes on the mirrors , its all worked so far (y):cool:
@Paul J

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I hate to think what Fiat ar charging you for a new mirror ... have a look on Ebay for one, you often get genuine Fiat ones a lot, lot cheaper, you just need to make sure you get the right size and type for your MH.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Don't worry about it - it's only a mirror.

Not sure how often you drive your van, but it may be worth taking it out as often as possible to get used to it - practice makes perfect

Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
My tip is when you start reversing it take your time and remember to check the front of the van as well. You can get so fixed on looking in the mirrors when reversing and forget the front and catch a front corner. Remember nobody was born a driver we all learned.

Sound advice!! also check the height too - MoHos don't like low overhanging tree branches!!

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'm getting used to the size of our new motorhome - its 7.49 tonnes and 2.4 wide.

We drive mostly on the continent and its a LHD vehicle, so all good. However, since being in Germany over the last 5 weeks we've come across innumerable roadworks where the lanes have been narrowed and then often have concrete dividing blocks between the lanes. It feels as though there's only a couple of inches to spare and, for the most part, there actually is only inches to spare. There are also thousands of articulated lorries travelling on the same roads.

What I find useful is to constantly keep the inside white line in my mirror's view. It's a tiring way to drive and takes a lot of concentration but when you're on very narrow lane widths you have no option really. If you know that you're right up to the inner edge of the roadway you'll find (usually) that everything is OK... although sometimes you may wince a bit!

Don't let this incident put you off - its only a mirror, so no real harm done. Get it fixed as soon as you can and get back out there - don't overthink it.

Good luck :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Great points made, I like the idea of ‘lights on’, entirely sensible

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I totally overthink ! Just spent half an hour deciding which cupboard to put the kettle in !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back