Gassed again!!! (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I thought I’d had a good night yesterday. I was gassed, thrown onto the road and my Fiat stolen.

Woke up with a bump and sore head. Disappointed to find that I’d only fallen out of bed (and still own a Fiat).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
One useful nugget in the story is it happened at a "caravan and truck stop". If this means an aire de service folk have long been advised to avoid parking up overnight at such places unless they have a good alarm set. No gas is required. :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Good job the Grandfather had a spare watch at home to pose for a photo with.:rolleyes: I'm sure the first place I would think of looking for any valuables is under the pillow of a sleeping person.:cautious::cautious:

Birthday money all gone and nothing to show for it. How can we explain that away..I know GASSED!!!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
One useful nugget in the story is it happened at a "caravan and truck stop". If this means an aire de service folk have long been advised to avoid parking up overnight at such places unless they have a good alarm set. No gas is required. :)
i have stayed at lood of airs de service par in a well lit place i have never had a problem
bill

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It really is true then .............

Of course it is, as the article says,

"That also echoed similar previous reports of attacks against wealthy individuals and celebrities.

Former Arsenal footballer Patrick Vieira said he and his family were knocked out by gas during a 2006 raid on their home in Cannes. And in 2002, British television stars Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine said they were gassed while attending the Cannes Film Festival."

None of these people would ever seek publicity by making spurious claims they had been gassed, or claims of any sort just to be in the public eye. Neither would they pose for photographs or allow any kid of intrusion in to their very private lives. Why do you think Victoria Beckham and similar personalities, stars, great actors and those who we lesser mortals aspire to emulate almost always wear sunglasses (and in the case of ladies bloody great big ones). Its because they value their privacy so much they don't want anyone to recognise them.

These people could maybe go about incognito if they behaved in a less ostentatious manner and went to Lidl or Tesco or Mcdonalds like the rest of us, you know, little makeup, ordinary trainers, ordinary clothes but just be be sure there is no chance of being recognised but unfortunately for them they feel they have to protect their privacy by hiding themselves inside a ring or large security people after getting out of huge off road and sometimes on road status symbol vehicles while wearing the said sun specs and the very latest designer clothes and ignoring the press photographers who have usually and inexplicably been previously tipped off by an anonymous phone call to the press association or local papers by someone in the know.

It must be hell for them.:mask:

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Getting to use this a bit more often lately......:D2

This is what they use, how many times do I have to tell you......... don’t park next to it.....:doh:

B1C79B05-AC2D-419D-B2C1-9386BC4DB475.jpeg

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
not another one :rofl:
as brenda from bristol would say
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Of course it is, as the article says,

"That also echoed similar previous reports of attacks against wealthy individuals and celebrities.

Former Arsenal footballer Patrick Vieira said he and his family were knocked out by gas during a 2006 raid on their home in Cannes. And in 2002, British television stars Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine said they were gassed while attending the Cannes Film Festival."

None of these people would ever seek publicity by making spurious claims they had been gassed, or claims of any sort just to be in the public eye. Neither would they pose for photographs or allow any kid of intrusion in to their very private lives. Why do you think Victoria Beckham and similar personalities, stars, great actors and those who we lesser mortals aspire to emulate almost always wear sunglasses (and in the case of ladies bloody great big ones). Its because they value their privacy so much they don't want anyone to recognise them.

These people could maybe go about incognito if they behaved in a less ostentatious manner and went to Lidl or Tesco or Mcdonalds like the rest of us, you know, little makeup, ordinary trainers, ordinary clothes but just be be sure there is no chance of being recognised but unfortunately for them they feel they have to protect their privacy by hiding themselves inside a ring or large security people after getting out of huge off road and sometimes on road status symbol vehicles while wearing the said sun specs and the very latest designer clothes and ignoring the press photographers who have usually and inexplicably been previously tipped off by an anonymous phone call to the press association or local papers by someone in the know.

Ir must be hell for them.:mask:

Oh I absolutely believe that the properties mentioned were filled with gas without killing the occupants or explosions :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Do you only get paid out by the insurance if you were gassed rather than pi$$ed ?

Just asking ...

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
This is Gloucestershire-online, used to be our local paper, and they are renowned for getting things wrong and sensationalising even minor incidents. Also their spelling and punctuation are crap !!!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Report to police, they didn’t want to know so get it in the local press, they will write anything for a story, and you have a basis for a claim :rolleyes:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I don't recall reading any information about 'how the thieves entered the vehicle, and what damage was caused by the break in'?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
:yawn2: I wonder what breathing apparatus the thieves wear?
Craig
I'm also very dubious (naive?) about reports of this gassing business.
He said he reported it to the police but 'they didn't understand him'' which doesn't sound very plausible.
A m/h is a very large volume to fill with gas and as said, do the crims wear breathing apparatus?
If they administer the gas locally, (i.e in yer face/up yer nose) how do they get in and do that without waking at least one of the (in this case) three occupants?
If it's administered through a vent I'd hear it hissing (I am easily woken by an unfamiliar noise). Perhaps on a truck stop/commercial Aire or at motorway Services there's a lot of extraneous noise - traffic, generators etc.
Even when/if you are gassed they still have to get inside.
Does anyone else put their watch under their pillow? Why?
What gas do they use and where do they get it? If we knew which gas we could fit an appropriate sniffer-alarm (y)
Does no-one else on the site ever see them whilst they're about their dastardly work?
These events seem more like an insurance scam to me.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I'm also very dubious (naive?) about reports of this gassing business.
These events seem more like an insurance scam to me.
You may notice that a lot of the posts above have rolling eyes and smiley emoticons. One way of addressing this is thinking why anaesthetists in hospital are paid so much when no one has ever been killed by gassing in a van (pumped in via what vent; what allowance made for weight of occupants; what allowance made for an open skylight?; as you say where are the gas masks and how much gas would they need to bring, a van full?§ or do they just hit one van per night).
The standard break-in tends to see the thieves taking Rolexes (who takes them on holiday?); £2-3000 cash (if, and why would you, you carried that amount, you would not stash it in one place) and an iPad or 2. Hence the comments about the victims forgetting about the poor quality watches they were wearing rather than their Rolexes.
This comes up every year with a family looking sheepishly on; the French Police blaming foreigners and anyone who owns a motorhome rolling their eyes and shaking their heads.
Some people are no doubt robbed from time to time so consider where you are parking; get an alarm; lock the doors and spread the cash and valuables around the van. No thief could find all the cubby holes in my van within the timeframe they would want to be in the van.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
how the thieves entered the vehicle, and what damage was caused by the break in'
Through the unlocked doors presumably - the ones they forgot to lock after stumbling back after the birthday celebrations :whistle:
Presumably without proof of a break-in ie damage there's no basis for a claim - hence the fictional gassing story...

They should be careful about making a false claim... still wearing a watch, no evidence of a break-in, no police report...
Their next newspaper feature might be their appearance in front of the magistrates :rolleyes:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back