Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi

One of the possibilities on our short list of motorhomes is the Swift Kontiki 640, I have just spent quite a lot of time looking for any used MH's for sale on this list and there seems to be quite a lot of Swift Kontikis-all different models. Just wandered if anyone knew of a problem with them or had any ideas of why there is so many for re-sale, most of the other MH's on my list I can't find any for sale, should I take this as a bad sign about the Kontiki do you think?

Shell

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
Hi

One of the possibilities on our short list of motorhomes is the Swift Kontiki 640, I have just spent quite a lot of time looking for any used MH's for sale on this list and there seems to be quite a lot of Swift Kontikis-all different models. Just wandered if anyone knew of a problem with them or had any ideas of why there is so many for re-sale, most of the other MH's on my list I can't find any for sale, should I take this as a bad sign about the Kontiki do you think?

Shell

we have had 2 kontiki,s in the past and never had any problems with then ,people use to say oh leaky kontiki to us but we never had one that leaked , unlike an elddis we had , we will never have a elddis again thats for sure :Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just wandered if anyone knew of a problem with them or had any ideas of why there is so many for re-sale
Shell

Try using the site search for SWIFT. Loads of ranting owners but there is no way of knowing how representative of the marque this is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
I have just PX'd my 6 year old Kontiki 665 for a brand new Autotrail. No problems with the Kontiki at all, fantastic build quality (better than the Autotrail), very reliable 2.8Jtd engine, took us all over Europe with never any problems. We looked for new Kontiki but the changes to the models compromised the living space and so this ruled out Swift as a replacement vehicle. However, had Swift turned out a 2010 model which met our requirements I would have had no hesitation in purchasing.

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
we have had 2 kontiki,s in the past and never had any problems with then ,people use to say oh leaky kontiki to us but we never had one that leaked , unlike an elddis we had , we will never have a elddis again thats for sure :Blush:
:Doh: What problems did you have with the Elddis ? as we have an 01 Autostratus since February and at the moment we still like it .I want to know what to look out for, keep an eye on, be on top of if you know what I mean.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we are on our second 640L.

had a '99 2.5ltr 3500kg version first then got a 2001 2.8ltr 3850kg version.

the U shaped end lounge is perfect for us but the overcab bed is useless....not enough headroom.....so we use the two couchs, which are 6ft long, as singles and chuck sleeping bags on them.

the current one returns around 25mpg @ motorway speeds towing a small car......26mpg solo.

to date we have had no problems.

when you've made your decision thoroughly check the documents before buying.
if its over 3500kg check the tax disc says PHG....not PLG.

ours was wrongly registered as PLG and can have implications with payload and VOSA

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi

One of the possibilities on our short list of motorhomes is the Swift Kontiki 640, I have just spent quite a lot of time looking for any used MH's for sale on this list and there seems to be quite a lot of Swift Kontikis-all different models. Just wandered if anyone knew of a problem with them or had any ideas of why there is so many for re-sale, most of the other MH's on my list I can't find any for sale, should I take this as a bad sign about the Kontiki do you think?Shell

Nice vans but. Give it a through damp test from top to bottom. I had one from new, it went back for a complete roof refit for a leak in the first year and progressively got worse after that. In the end we needed an umbrella to stay dry inside the van. :rain:We had to go outside to dry out.

The dealers referred to them as Konleaky’s:helptitanic:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had one for some years and was very pleased with it. The only leak I had was an internal leak from the hot water boiler which was easily fixed once I found it.

I think the main reason you will find a lot for sale is just that a lot were made, they were very popular. Obviously any popular make will have more complaints than a less common one because there are more owners to complain.

Give it a thorough damp test before you buy, and bear in mind the overcab bed is really only suitable for children due to limited headroom. The rear be is good and can be left up permanently if you like.

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
:Doh: What problems did you have with the Elddis ? as we have an 01 Autostratus since February and at the moment we still like it .I want to know what to look out for, keep an eye on, be on top of if you know what I mean.

we had an 04 elddis that leaked like a basket , it went back to ellldis and was o,k for about a week and started again , they had to rip out all the ceiling and replace it because it was all damp , we were always worried when it rained , it stopped leaking then we got rid of it , :Doh:, it was a autostratus FB . loved the lay out of the van and she was fine in every other way ,

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi

Thanks for your replies, Theresa please can you tell us more about the Elddis as that is another one that is on our short list - the Elddis Autostratus EB and Elddis Autoquest 145 or 180.

One interesting fact that I have learned now is that the overcab bed is not very useable for adults which I must admit may be a reason why we cross off the Kontiki.

Shell
:Smile:

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
Thanks for that Theresa, at the moment our is a dry as a bone (touch wood ) and we also love the layout (rear bathroom). I have only now noticed that you are over in Falmouth we are in Goldsithney and were in Falmouth yesterday, Tragos then Asda :cry:(not my idea).
Thanks again.
Harry

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Thanks everyone for all your replies and advice, you will be pleased to know the Swift Kontiki is still on our shortlist :Smile:

Shell

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks everyone for all your replies and advice, you will be pleased to know the Swift Kontiki is still on our shortlist :Smile:

Shell

glad to hear that shell.....

people may knock 'em but the kontiki has been around for many years in different guises and on different bases and the majority are excellent motorhomes.

we are hoping, when finances improve, to move up to an american A class but the kontiki will always be at the top of our list for european vans. :thumb:

also, the help you get from 'Swift group' (they are members on this forum) is first class whether its a new van or 15 years old.
other converters may monitor the forums but only swift have the nounce to join them. (as far as i know !)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back