Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Another mod today I’ve fitted a speaker bar underneath the cupboards over the table as the speakers in our flat screen tv are rubbish especially when playing a dvd.
The sound now off the tv has been transformed.

John.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
@gerry mcg Ive jacked my van up today and on full lift the wheels lifted off the ground 100mm.

John.
Thank you john,

i guess the wheels will have dropped to their maximum extension as the van went up on the jacks and became unweighted, so i suspect the actual lift is >than 100mm. as the suspension is compressed by the van weight when standing static, and there is an element of “unweighting” of the suspension as the rams come down and the suspension relaxes.

are you able to get a reference point for lift off the bodywork to the ground when on wheels and on full lift? ?
the reason i ask is i was wondering if the EP jacks could ofter a greater lift than the 120mm offered by the milenco triples - if they did, i could be interested as they would mean i could park on less level areas - but id they don’t then i don’t see them being worthwhile (for me) .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
HI @gerry mcg I’m in Benidorm at the moment on a campsite, but when I lifted the rear at home because of our steep drive I put a piece of timber under the rear jacks which gave me the lift to push the Quattro’s under the rear wheels easily.
Here’s the website for the levellers in Doncaster and Mick will give you any info you need. http://www.sap-ltd.co.uk/
John.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Anyone who does this mod I would spray the threads with PTFE spray as I found out in Benidorm the cover seized due to the heat, but after spraying with the PTFE its been fine since.

John.

CB7BE654-4303-4D37-AF45-029B5008CF47.jpeg AB997120-B27B-42C0-99E1-662CFDBEF8D8.jpeg

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I’ve fitted 2nd light fitting over the cab area and tested it off battery pack, just got to run wires through overhead cupboards and connect to 12 volt junction box.

John.

View attachment 196361 View attachment 196362 View attachment 196363 View attachment 196364

We have went with the same lights over cab after seeing yours
I think I will fit an extra switch as Im not sure I want them coming on when the hab power is switch on.
Do you find that an issue?

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have went with the same lights over cab after seeing yours
I think I will fit an extra switch as Im not sure I want them coming on when the hab power is switch on.
Do you find that an issue?

Yes mine do the same but I very rarely turn the Hab 12 volt off.

John.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Another mod that I did a couple of days ago I fitted Euroair VB air suspension,I didn’t use the bracket that came with the gauges as I wanted them fitted in the rear so I made a bracket out of some black plastic that I had lying around.

260621DD-816B-4356-80B7-1D8A16A22DB6.jpeg
2BDD6CF8-64ED-4394-8C8F-79D38F2EEE0A.jpeg
50359B1E-6F39-4C50-B817-69D0FFC419EE.jpeg
6CE0CEE5-DA6B-4A30-8D9F-24B6F0819058.jpeg

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Nice job @Neckender
Would you please explain why you added the airbags on your Campscout? We've got airbags on a pickup truck to increase the payload and keep the load stable but I didn't think that would be a problem on the maxi chassis.

Disclaimer: We don't get our Campscout until next week so I have zero personal experience with a PVC. :)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi sue the reason I fitted the airbags was to lift the back end slightly to give more height on our rear rams, plus it gives a more comfortable ride,eg on roundabouts, overtaking heavy vehicles potholed roads etc.
I will also have to get the headlights checked now that this is fitted.
John.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi sue the reason I fitted the airbags was to lift the back end slightly to give more height on our rear rams, plus it gives a more comfortable ride,eg on roundabouts, overtaking heavy vehicles potholed roads etc.
I will also have to get the headlights checked now that this is fitted.
John.

Thanks John.
We'll see how things go but keep airbags in mind if we need to improve the ride.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Great idea must get round to fitting one. I like the one that replaces the door pocket. Having said that our docs are still in the door pocket from when I showed them two weeks ago at Dover for the ferry!!!

Got any more info on that one?? (some sort of safe that fits in the door?!)

Sliding door bump stop block removed and sticky backed felt pad placed over holes as a temporary measure:

Anyone replaced this (useless?) block of rubber with an actual handle, to make closing the door from the inside a bit easier??

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Nice job @Neckender
Would you please explain why you added the airbags on your Campscout? We've got airbags on a pickup truck to increase the payload and keep the load stable but I didn't think that would be a problem on the maxi chassis.

Disclaimer: We don't get our Campscout until next week so I have zero personal experience with a PVC. :)
Take a look at the rear springs. They are almost flattened and close to the spring assisters, and thats when new. Realistically the springs are not up to having the weight of a motorhome on them.

I went for full air suspension and the difference is quite noticeable. It turns an old fashioned leaf spring suspension into the latest smoothest self adjusting suspension system. Only one downside, the cost.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Take a look at the rear springs. They are almost flattened and close to the spring assisters, and thats when new. Realistically the springs are not up to having the weight of a motorhome on them.

I went for full air suspension and the difference is quite noticeable. It turns an old fashioned leaf spring suspension into the latest smoothest self adjusting suspension system. Only one downside, the cost.

Thanks @jezport . There seems a bit of room above the bumps but I'll look again after it's loaded. Out of curiosity, do you have the heavy chassis and if so, have you uprated?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks @jezport . There seems a bit of room above the bumps but I'll look again after it's loaded. Out of curiosity, do you have the heavy chassis and if so, have you uprated?
To answer these on Jez's behalf - yes he has the heavy chassis and has uprated, as have we, the difference is that he has the Revolution model so is higher and therefore heavier than the standard Campscout which we have, also Jez carries stuff for selling at shows etc so I suspect he utilises the available payload more than most.

We have had our FamilyScout for 3 years and haven't had any problems with it during that period, its on the heavy uprated chassis too ... if you do want to look at improving the ride etc then think about semi-air which is a lot cheaper and can be DIY fitted too - we had this on a couple of previous MHs and it transformed them but I'm not sure how much difference it will make to a new campervan, we won't be fitting it to our new Campscout unless we find it needs it and as our Familyscout didn't I doubt we will.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
To answer these on Jez's behalf - yes he has the heavy chassis and has uprated, as have we, the difference is that he has the Revolution model so is higher and therefore heavier than the standard Campscout which we have, also Jez carries stuff for selling at shows etc so I suspect he utilises the available payload more than most.
I hope that he has a Tachograph then!

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I hope that he has a Tachograph then!
Only take samples these days. I have another trader deliver my stock
After all, me and my wife and parrot have to live and sleep in the van, couldn't do that if it was full of stock. It's only a PVC after all.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

We have had our FamilyScout for 3 years and haven't had any problems with it during that period, its on the heavy uprated chassis too ... if you do want to look at improving the ride etc then think about semi-air which is a lot cheaper and can be DIY fitted too - we had this on a couple of previous MHs and it transformed them but I'm not sure how much difference it will make to a new campervan, we won't be fitting it to our new Campscout unless we find it needs it and as our Familyscout didn't I doubt we will.
As Minxy said we are on the Maxi and are up plated.
The Revolution is taller so more susceptible to side winds.Also we have the extra bed options so can sleep 5 adults.
My kids are now big, Lewis is 6ft, so we have 4 adults 1 large parrot in cage and all our gear and water and fuel plus the extras like batteries and solar panel, awning, gas tank, levelling and air suspension, So I didn't want to worry about what weight We were so went for the up plate. Now at 4500kg it would be hard to over load.
Take your van to a weighbridge and then decide for your self.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thanks @Minxy Girl and @jezport.

We weighed it the day after we bought it and with 5/8 fuel, 20L water, awning, solar panel, 2nd battery, 2 adults and a small cocker spaniel, we came in at 3100kg (1660kg front 1440kg rear). Only thing missing was a bottle or 2 of Calor. I intentionally weighed it before loading anything else so we know our starting point. That leaves us with 400kg payload and we will only be doing short trips so I am not in a mad rush to get it uprated. Having said that, I have already asked SvTech and John Ruffles for advice and we will likely use John to uprate so we are guaranteed to be on the right side of the law... well, for weight anyway.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Where did you get them from and how much were they

@locsuna thanks for the tip, I wouldn’t have found these otherwise. I had the same problem as you with no time to fit 12 volt sockets to a new van before a trip. I ordered 2 of these and they were delivered two days later. They look good and are smaller than I thought they would be so you don’t notice them unless a lead is plugged in. They are not cheap but problem not much more than all the kit to add sockets and only take seconds to fit.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Has anyone fitted air con to the hab?

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’ve also fitted the rear Perspex window covers which protect the blinds from the bed pillows bought from @jezport.

377DBD53-27D4-4818-85AC-3B71E2AD949F.jpeg

Also fitted adjustable and removable extending pole to dry and air towels again bought from Jezport.

8ECE45F0-C00F-4AA4-8680-E3920E200E1E.jpeg

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
@locsuna thanks for the tip, I wouldn’t have found these otherwise. I had the same problem as you with no time to fit 12 volt sockets to a new van before a trip. I ordered 2 of these and they were delivered two days later. They look good and are smaller than I thought they would be so you don’t notice them unless a lead is plugged in. They are not cheap but problem not much more than all the kit to add sockets and only take seconds to fit.

@locsuna and @1ten I got 2 of these and we used them to charge our Samsung phones on this week's maiden voyage. Funny thing was that we didn't seem to go above 83% charge on the phones. Have you found the same thing when using the USB sockets on the 12V rail ?

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
@locsuna and @1ten I got 2 of these and we used them to charge our Samsung phones on this week's maiden voyage. Funny thing was that we didn't seem to go above 83% charge on the phones. Have you found the same thing when using the USB sockets on the 12V rail ?

We have not had that problem, our phones and iPads charged properly

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back