Norfolk alarm fitters (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Hi. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent alarm fitter in Norwich/Norfolk please? I know Vanbitz get everyone's vote as being the best around but Devon is a hell of a trek from here and I just don't think I'll have the time to get down there prior to our summer trip. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Might be worth asking one of the local dealers for a recommendation. We bought our motorhome from Becks at Martham and the alarm was fitted by them.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent alarm fitter in Norwich/Norfolk please? I know Vanbitz get everyone's vote as being the best around but Devon is a hell of a trek from here and I just don't think I'll have the time to get down there prior to our summer trip. Thanks.
Devon? DEVON?

Philistines in Devon can’t even make a ‘proper’ cream tea!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The first question needs to be is the alarm an insurance requirement? If so it narrows down your options considerably - you have to use a Thatcham approved installer from this list: http://ww2.thatcham.org/tri/index.jsp?page=1259 If they aren't on the list they are not an approved installer and so will not be able to give you the paperwork you need. Dealers will happily lie about this so be careful. If the dealer is claiming they will fit a Cat 1 alarm ask who is actually fitting it and if they're approved, then check them out on the list.

If it's not an insurance requirement but just for your peace of mind then you can use pretty much anyone.

Some things to bear in mind:

1. The components of a Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm installed by someone who isn't approved is not a Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm. Without the correct paperwork it's just a load of expensive electronics.

2. A lot of "motorhome alarms" are just modified car alarms. Vanbitz (in Somerset, not Devon so you can save yourself 45 minutes each way (y)) alarms are specifically designed for motorhomes and nothing else. There may be a handful of other companies that can honestly claim this but if so there aren't many.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Don't know if Russell Hague extends into electrical installations but may be worth a call. He does all sorts on the Hab side of motorhomes. , he works out of a unit near Stalham but is mobile.

OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Devon? DEVON?

Philistines in Devon can’t even make a ‘proper’ cream tea!

Ooops, seeing as you're only in Somerset then maybe it is an option!

Maybe I should give you a call to see what booking times are like and make a trip of it........ besides, the rugby banter may be worth the visit if it also includes cream teas.

Thanks for the other answers folks.

OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
The first question needs to be is the alarm an insurance requirement? If so it narrows down your options considerably - you have to use a Thatcham approved installer from this list: http://ww2.thatcham.org/tri/index.jsp?page=1259 If they aren't on the list they are not an approved installer and so will not be able to give you the paperwork you need. Dealers will happily lie about this so be careful. If the dealer is claiming they will fit a Cat 1 alarm ask who is actually fitting it and if they're approved, then check them out on the list.

If it's not an insurance requirement but just for your peace of mind then you can use pretty much anyone.

Some things to bear in mind:

1. The components of a Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm installed by someone who isn't approved is not a Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm. Without the correct paperwork it's just a load of expensive electronics.

2. A lot of "motorhome alarms" are just modified car alarms. Vanbitz (in Somerset, not Devon so you can save yourself 45 minutes each way (y)) alarms are specifically designed for motorhomes and nothing else. There may be a handful of other companies that can honestly claim this but if so there aren't many.

Thanks for the reply. It's not an insurance requirement but just for peace of mind but getting a Thatcham registered system would be preferable. Mike.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We had the alarm on our van fitted by Suffolk Alarms. It was about 6 years ago now and I can't remember how much we paid. Been no trouble with it for 6 years which must mean something.

We were on a campsite near Norwich at the time, its a mobile service so some of Norfolk is okay.

Don't discount Vanbitz because they are in Taunton, we had our solar panel fitted there a couple of years ago and they did a great job. You can stay on the excellent Cornish Farm campsite and make a weekend of it.

Paul

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We have the van blitz alarm. Only allowed to use it when not in the van , not allowed to have it on when asleep in case it goes off and disturbed other campers. Haha

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We have the van blitz alarm. Only allowed to use it when not in the van , not allowed to have it on when asleep in case it goes off and disturbed other campers. Haha
Our VanBitz Growler is always set at night, no matter how secure the site or aire seems to be. This is our second van to have one fitted and in well over 6 years we have never had a false alarm.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back