LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a Nikkai TV like Link Removed bought from Maplins a couple of years ago - not certain of purchase date because I can't find the receipt but well over 12 months so out of warranty.

Whilst we were away over the last couple of weeks a fault developed on the Digital tuner whilst I was tuning it in. It won't "lock on" to the Digital mode, the screen flashes up the default Nikkai logo every few seconds and it doesn't respond to the controls on the TV or the remote, with the exception that it is possible to switch to the other (Analogue, VGA and AV) modes. The unit still works fine on Analogue and using the Aldi satellite kit via the AV input.

Has anyone any experience of a similar problem with the Digital mode? If so is it fixable?

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Graham

I would take it back to Maplin, it may be out of warranty but it's less than two years old and under the Sale of Goods Act you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect.

If that fails they may offer to repair or replace at a small cost .. worth a try and do make a fuss, stand your ground and just repeat that you are not happy, retailers hate a customer making a fuss in a busy store ..

I've returned Nike training shoes that had split at the seam, they were over a year old, I had no receipt, and had them replaced ..

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Jim. Trouble is we have a sneaking suspicion that it may be more than two years old. Typical that we had a clear out only a few weeks ago and probably binned the receipt then :Smile:

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Jim. Trouble is we have a sneaking suspicion that it may be more than two years old. Typical that we had a clear out only a few weeks ago and probably binned the receipt then :Smile:

Graham

I'd still give it a try.. nowt to lose .. except face :ROFLMAO:

which has never held me back :roflmto:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font VendĂ´me
Exp
Since 2004
On your "menu" screen is there an option to update software Graham? If there is run thro the sequence this will sometimes put a "fault" right. If not is there a default settings option? Might be worth a try. ::bigsmile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Graham, I'd give Maplin a try but to be honest my experience of Nikkai gear is that its not terribly good. I had a CD/radio head unit that refused to play any CDs after nine months so I upgraded it to one with Bluetooth for hands free phone operation and this too failed to play CDs after about nine months or so. Probably best to accept that its crap and buy a decent one instead.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On your "menu" screen is there an option to update software Graham? If there is run thro the sequence this will sometimes put a "fault" right. If not is there a default settings option? Might be worth a try. ::bigsmile:

Thanks Ken. One problem is that the menu screen won't display :Smile:

Hi Graham, I'd give Maplin a try but to be honest my experience of Nikkai gear is that its not terribly good. I had a CD/radio head unit that refused to play any CDs after nine months so I upgraded it to one with Bluetooth for hands free phone operation and this too failed to play CDs after about nine months or so. Probably best to accept that its crap and buy a decent one instead.

D.

Thanks Dave. I'll start saving my pennies - I'm sure I can find a supplier of decent ones somewhere ::bigsmile:

Graham

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well Hurrah and Huzzah - I'm a happy bunny again ::bigsmile:

I realised that we had only had a problem with the TV when on mains power so decided to check it using the 12v lead off the leisure battery - no problem at all, perfect reception. Found another mains adapter with appropriate output and tried it using that in the house - no problem at all, perfect reception.

Also tried a power brick that outputs 12v but only up to 500 mA (rating of the Nikkai power brick is 1.0 A) and the effect was the same as with the Nikkai power brick - so it would seem that the Nikkai power brick has developed a fault which means it is not delivering high enough power for the digital tuner.

I'll look around for a replacement power brick but using the 12v lead will be no problem whether we are on hook-up or not so problem solved :thumb::thumb:

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back