Waterproofing an OS map ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've just purchased an Ordnance Survey Explorer Select map for walking and cycling locally ..

If you haven't heard of them, OS Select is a-made-to-order mapping service that gives you the opportunity to decide the centre location of the map.
This can be your house, your favourite walk or even a mountain bike trail – anywhere in Great Britain! You can also choose from 21 cover images to further personalise your map.

It was delivered in 48hrs and they have an offer on doing them for £13.60.

Details here

The only downside is that they don't supply a waterproof version so I would like to find a waterproof spay ..
I've Googled and found a product from the States called Aquaseal but can't find a UK supplier..

Has anyone done this and what product did you use ?

thanks

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a clear plastic wallet .bought from adventure store. even stick it to a bike tank when required .comes with a string to hang round your neck .velcro fastening one end.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could try brushing fabsil on it .the ink might not run ,never tried it.
do a corner .
i had a poster framed once its got a fine shiny lamination thats w,resistant but firm closed now. it was done at the framers .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Whilst I like to carry the real OS map with me for an area, If we have plans to do particular areas or a cycle ride or walk, I usually print off the area required from my Fugawi 1:50000 OS maps (maximum A4 size print, but you can scale - may need multiple pages), and then put into a plastic A4 binder wallet. Frankly, they can then be treated as disposable, and it is easy to pencil routes in etc.

Other OS map systems offer similar capabilities.

Whilst the initial outlay may seem high, having the whole of the UK OS loaded on the netbook means that we don't have to worry too much about maps wherever we go.

It's paid for itself several times over.

I must admit that (possibly contrary to copyright laws - don't try this at home :RollEyes:) if I have defined route I want to do, I usually follow it at 1:25000 level on www.streetmap.co.uk, and 'snip' and paste the route maps into a word document, print and wallet as above. Makes route finding very easy, and never needed more than 2 duplex sheets printing.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have waterprooffed maps using fabsil with great success But I have used Thompsons water seal the most as I always have some in the barn as I use it on an exposed wall of our house once a year. Waterproofing does make the map last a little longer, but in my experience its always the folds that disintegrate, whether they get wet or not, but especially if they do get very wet.

Whenever I buy OS maps now I always buy them pre laminated. But for years I made do by using a combination of polytunnel repair tape on seams after waterproofing. This makes folding initially a little difficult but once the creases are in the tape the longevity is excellent.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Whilst I like to carry the real OS map with me for an area, If we have plans to do particular areas or a cycle ride or walk, I usually print off the area required from my Fugawi 1:50000 OS maps (maximum A4 size print, but you can scale - may need multiple pages), and then put into a plastic A4 binder wallet. Frankly, they can then be treated as disposable, and it is easy to pencil routes in etc.

Other OS map systems offer similar capabilities.

Whilst the initial outlay may seem high, having the whole of the UK OS loaded on the netbook means that we don't have to worry too much about maps wherever we go.

It's paid for itself several times over.

I must admit that (possibly contrary to copyright laws - don't try this at home :RollEyes:) if I have defined route I want to do, I usually follow it at 1:25000 level on www.streetmap.co.uk, and 'snip' and paste the route maps into a word document, print and wallet as above. Makes route finding very easy, and never needed more than 2 duplex sheets printing.

Hi

I looked at buying the OS mapping for the lappy, as you say, it is expensive..

I've also scanned OS maps and printed on A4 , Streetmaps are also very good.

However I like keeping original maps, I have a collection of OS maps my dad gave me going back to the 50s, some are printed on linen, they have lots of notes, walks and camping site he used and I'm adding to it, so one day I will hopefully hand on to one of my sons .. or daughter .. :roflmto:

Thanks for the tips

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Jim I've just had a word with the senior partner who says we've already posted on a post about GPS where she gets O.S. maps off the web which are not expensive. I think there are several sites. The trouble is, in my ignorance I don't know where to look up my previous postings.

So far as waterproofing the maps, don't bother. There are any number of cheap map cases available. I've just weighed mine, from "Adventuridge" (Aldi) and with an A4 map, a printed set of way-points for the sat-nav, a compass on a cord with a scale, magnifier and romer, a pencil, and a whistle - my spare -it weighs 201 grammes.*

Two transparent waterproof pockets, a strap to go round my neck, a zip pocket and two or three others, it's had a couple of years regular use and good for many more (Hope I am!) and cost damn all.

(*I usually also carry spare batteries for the sat nav and mobile phone which Scilla carries)

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Scilla's checked - heading of our original post is UK touring 16343 Sandwood Bay NW Scotland, on 19 March 2010, bottom of page 2. You were posting there, back in October three posts before me, ("I wish there were more campsites like this")

Pl PM us if we can help any more

Update:
She's now found it:
"Here is a really good website for the wild Highlands. Click on the Sandwood Bay walk

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/sutherland/durness.shtml

enjoy the browsing on this site.

If you have a walking satnav - we have a Garmin etrexh - you should check out the Mapyx Quo website at

http://www.mapyx.com

It is brilliant. We buy the 50K Landranger tiles and plan and print from them. We also carry the paper OS Explorer maps as back up in these wild areas.

(Credit the Senior Partner, custodian of the family brain cell.) "

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I've just purchased an Ordnance Survey Explorer Select map for walking and cycling locally ..

The only downside is that they don't supply a waterproof version so I would like to find a waterproof spray ..
Considering the price Jim and the amount of time OS have now been going i'm just surprised they don't offer laminated copies. Infact I feel sure some years ago they actually did use some kind of laminate on OS mapping specifically for walkers etc.
They wouldn't be cheap, but will last years if not a lifetime.

david.h.gto

Free Member
Sep 29, 2009
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Started in mid 70's for 10 years in Bedford Bedouins!
In the Army we covered maps with clear Fablon & used Chinagraph pencils to mark them up! Other marking pencils worked well, but were water soluble!:Smile:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
They were also glued to a well dressed pine board and given several coats of high quality varnish. Great for round Cape Horn in a gale, but not so good for hiking up a mountain.:RollEyes:

A firm called Ghiant sell an aerosol fixative spray for ink-jet printed pages. I have used it and found it very good at waterproofing. Trouble is it ain't cheap
Link Removed

John

T

TomTee

Deleted User

If you haven't heard of them, OS Select is a-made-to-order mapping service that gives you the opportunity to decide the centre location of the map.
This can be your house, your favourite walk or even a mountain bike trail – anywhere in Great Britain! You can also choose from 21 cover images to further personalise your map.

Good tip and thank you. One of my oldest friends who's a keen walker has a significant birthday coming up and this has solved the problem of a suitable present.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Being a child of the definitive Blue Peter era, definitely, sticky backed plastic..... though I must admit if they came in linen much better. I do the sticky backing with all fold out maps (ACSI etc) and with the most used pages of the road atlas (Suffolk/Norfolk) it works so well it seems a shame when they need updating. Jane :Smile:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hi have you thought about printing off two A4 size maps fitting them back to back and stick them in a laminating pouch. These things are quite cheap and you could laminate any number of things, its only a thought Cheers Mate, Rob W:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back