voltage stabilisers ...are we being conned ? (1 Viewer)

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
researching for a new TV I looked at one specifically for motorhomes etc with built in stabiliser [ and double the price of domestic ]
reading the small print it said ...do not cut off the cigarette lighter plug , the stabiliser is in there !!

correct me if I am wrong , but if they can fit it in there , must be a pretty small and simple device , hence cheap
so what's this £50 touch for a voltage stabiliser ?

can you buy these cigarette lighter /stabiliser plugs anywhere ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
correct me if I am wrong , but if they can fit it in there , must be a pretty small and simple device , hence cheap
so what's this £50 touch for a voltage stabiliser ?

can you buy these cigarette lighter /stabiliser plugs anywhere ?

Totally agree, a rip off .. another example of playing on peoples ignorance and fear

can't answer your second question ...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
correct me if I am wrong , but if they can fit it in there , must be a pretty small and simple device

Not that simple.

You could put a bit of spike protection in there but they have probably built a better quality power supply in the TV to cope with the big swing of the battery voltage.

The £50 stabiliser will have to cope with supplying a stable 12V from a bit below 12V to way above 12V and cut the supply when the voltage dips well below 12V.

And before someone comes up with "it's flat at 12V", no it isn't and if you want to run your battery down to much lower, which you can safely with a deep discharge battery then it's up to you the user.

You are absolutely right about the caravan TV price - total rip off - to build in a better power supply at manufacturing time costs just a pound or two.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
using a small inverter (150W) and running on 240V overcomes these problems and does not seem to use much more power. Obviously there are some losses but not a lot.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's a debatable point I personally work on the theory that most electronic kits have regulators built into the circuitry so will probably cope with the voltage variations.

The premium price charged for Caravan?Motorhome TV's 2/3 times the price of a domestic is not warranted.

My van came with a Camos as standard if it dies I will take the chance & replace it with a cheap domestic one that woks on 12v most appear to use 12v separate supplies, as I rarely uses hook-ups my voltage is never going to that high.

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
Making a suitable regulated power supply for such a small load would probably cost no more than £10 more than a standard one.

However, the standard TV will sell in 100 of thousands if not more.

The motorhome version will sell in quite small numbers so they will charge a lot more.

I use a cheap flat screen with 12v input, if it blows up then I will go and buy another cheap one. So far it has lasted 7 years and the old CRT colour TV is still going strong after 20 years!

Maybe I am lucky?

Hallii

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi been using house tv's for the last nine yrs wired direct to 12v Ariel socket without any problems. If the voltage drops low the picture goes off but sound continues so plenty of warning before any damage occurs :thumb:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are you 100% certain the volt stab is in the cig plug ???

usually it contains a fuse and nowt else.

cut the plug off and you have no fuse protection.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My standard cheapy 12v domestic LCD TV/DVD is now on its second van with no problems. Its often been used on EHU when the voltage was well above 12v and if the voltage drops much below 12 it just stops working. I think it was about £100 when I bought it.::bigsmile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
stabilizer

this will probably be like the car mobile phone charger that will also work on 24volt won't it??
still a rip off as the phone chargers are only a couple of quid..

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
the cig ligther units that are over large (funny shape) are the ones with built in protection papa i have a couple of units that use them. Saying that though my 12v system for the van tv just has an inline fuse and it came with it, along with the 240 setup for same tv.It has been said before that you dont have to pay a fortune for a tv for the van. Akura tvs are very reasonable

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
it's an old saying ... cheap as 'chips' , ( pun intended )

electronic components are indeed cheap as chips .. so back to the OP question ... why £50 for a voltage stabiliser ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
electronic components are indeed cheap as chips .. so back to the OP question ... why £50 for a voltage stabiliser ?

Simples.

They've got them - had to buy a lot from China for a fiver each.

You/we are willing to buy them at £50.

If they thought we'd pay £100 then it would £100.

What's the magic word...... Capitalism.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back