Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
we are thinking of taking the laptop with us to france in a few weeks. If i can work out how to search for free connection on site or elsewhere will I still get google etc in english or will It go to a french search engine?:Sad:

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
If you get anything strange, just search 'Google UK' and click on the link in the results to get it :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we are thinking of taking the laptop with us to france in a few weeks. If i can work out how to search for free connection on site or elsewhere will I still get google etc in english or will It go to a french search engine?:Sad:

It will be the same but with a terrible smell of garlic.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
It will be the same but with a terrible smell of garlic.

hahaha as i mentioned in a previous thread.....I wish i thought of that!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ps when I am in france and using their keyboards if i have not taken my laptop i can never recall which keys to use to create the @ :Doh::Doh:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
A couple of years ago I used to find plenty of free WiFi sites in France, garages, hostels, cafes, Marie's and such like, but most of the sites I knew have converted to the French telephone system and now you have to pay. Sad...

Doug...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
ps when I am in france and using their keyboards if i have not taken my laptop i can never recall which keys to use to create the @ :Doh::Doh:

I was mighty embarrassed in Morocco in an internet cafe - I just could not find one vital key - had to ask little kid - mega embarrassing.

I've just bought Co Pilot Live for my phone ( it's a very good Sat Nav program and cheap ) and it's got an ABCDE keyboard. It's terrible, I can hardly use it.

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Look for the big M you are never too far from MacDonalds in France and the touist information offices usually have free or very cheap wi-fi add as a poi on your sat nav and you will be ok.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and now you have to pay. Sad...
Doug...

That's the tail of the internet now, isn't it. Like the newspapers starting to charge. Sites that used to give free advice on hardware/software becoming subscription.

The honeymoon is over.

tonybrightspark

Free Member
Dec 31, 2009
Kent
Funster No
Look for the big M you are never too far from MacDonalds in France and the touist information offices usually have free or very cheap wi-fi add as a poi on your sat nav and you will be ok.

LR

Can you just pull up outside Maccas and log on, or do you need a log on password from the restaurant?

Thanks

tonybrightspark

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
LR

Can you just pull up outside Maccas and log on, or do you need a log on password from the restaurant?

Thanks

tonybrightspark

If when you try to logon and it asks for a password just nip in, sometimes there is a poster on the wall with the info on it.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
no password required for macca's , you get their front page , have to agree not to do anything naughty , then they let you on line after a display of their ad's

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

of course you will get english...unless you go on french engine

Mel

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
LR

Thanks

tonybrightspark

We just pull in the parking area or if possible just outside last week we parked in a garage forcourt opposite and got a good signal we try to keep out of other peoples way so as not to cause annoyance.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
We visited well over 66 campsites this summer when assessing them for inclusion in a campsite guide and we found that well over 50% (profess to) have wifi and about half of those said it was free. On the other hand others charge up to €8 an hour - that really is €8 not a miss-type.

We were able to get on line quite often.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
hahaha as i mentioned in a previous thread.....I wish i thought of that!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

just use @ in froggie:winky:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Until recently Parc Verger offered free wifi, albeit with an invitation to contribute to our charity fund. Because of cost increases, and so that there are no questions raised when Funsters visit Parc Verger in future, we have to say that with reluctance we have introduced a small charge for wifi of 1 Euro per day, or 4 Euros per week, or 10 Euros per month, BUT there is good news, in that our other charges for 2011 will not rise. All charges are shown on our website (www.parcverger.com), and we can confirm that Funsters will continue to enjoy a 10% discount on our pitch and people charges.:winky:

The charity fund will continue to benefit from our book borrow/exchange service, and by the sale of items donated by guests here. :thumb:

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
We use McD's a lot. Park outside close and the signal is usually good enough. If you're with BT at home then sign up to their FON. That way you can then log on to any other FON you find while out and about legally. It also works abroad although we've yet to venture there to find out.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We got free Wif fi quitea lot when in France/Germany this year, sometimes only tourist info web site for towns

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back