New vs second hand (1 Viewer)

Which of these options fits your experience best

• Bought brand new MH - experienced no problems

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Bought brand new MH - experienced minor problems, dealer fixed quickly

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • Bought brand new MH - experienced major problems, dealer fixed quickly

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Bought brand new MH - experienced major problems, still outstanding after >3 months

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Bought pre-owned MH (under 7yrs old) - experienced no problems

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Bought pre-owned MH (under 7yrs old) - experienced minor problems, dealer fixed quickly

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Bought pre-owned MH (under 7yrs old) - experienced major problems, dealer fixed quickly

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Bought pre-owned MH (under 7yrs old) - experienced major problems, still outstanding after >3 months

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
I'm trying to post a poll - let's just see if I meet with success ...

Hmm, I think it's worked, though I might have got it a bit wrong. This is to try to clarify my thoughts about whether to buy new or old. I keep getting the feeling that somehow buying second hand is safer, in terms of less disappointment with poor quality snagging, but that might just be because that's what makes people complain most vocally ....

Thank you for anyone who contributes - I've just realised I was going to go back in and add the same questions for MHs over 7yrs but I can't edit the poll! Where's the smacking myself round the head smiley when I need it. I blame the wine consumed to celebrate my football team's promotion today ;-)

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
What a interesting post and poll to do. Like yourself/ves had lots of nagging thoughts and doubts. We won't be purchasing until early next year but have been going round and trying different mh's out and dealers and makes etc........and for us no matter about peps shouting depreciation/taking the hit/niggles and everything else that one reads on here...we still come back to the same conclusion. We want new, we are very well aware of the above but it would not feel the same for us having known someone else has used it before. We have also come to the conclusion that for the thousands of mh owners out for, and the forums etc...it seems that it is a small percentage of people in relation to mh ownership.

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Thanks Dawnbreak.

I'd just wondered what I'd done wrong with 51 views but only one reply to the thread, I thought I must have cocked up my poll really badly! I didn't realise that people voting on a poll didn't actually register as a new reply, IYSWIM :Blush:

Thanks to all so far - it's already looking interesting!

ETA If you post a bit of info too, it'll help keep this thread bumped up a bit so the early birds/weekday posters might still spot it - ta!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
All our motorhomes have been over 7 years old when purchased, so we cant contribute to the survey however, we would never buy brand new.

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
All our motorhomes have been over 7 years old when purchased, so we cant contribute to the survey however, we would never buy brand new.

Sorry - I really did want to go back and add that section on, I was just checking to see if what I'd done worked and didn't realise I couldn't edit a poll once it was submitted :Doh: Could you perhaps post your experiences here, using the same layout, just so we know?

Hilldweller - I'm working on the principle that if I buy a previously-owned motorhome, I'm benefitting from the previous owners' knowledge and experience of what that particular van needs to make it most useable (ie they'll have done all the expensive, hard work additional stuff so I won't have to!). Though I suspect in reality I'll just spend weekends saying "why on earth did they fit that there"!

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
God bless you.

Without people like you I'd have had to pay out thousands more *and* spent months in dealers getting the van finished.

Thank you.[/QU

Yes we know......you tell me and tuthers time and time and time again...........now please once and for all hear this. Yes we know.......and we are well aware what might or might not happen......so please no more....my eyes ache reading it. Its our choice and our business and personal preference.... so let us get on with it.........each to their own eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said

Oh just one last thing.......if we couldn't have new...we wouldn't want one.....would carry on with our current ways of holidays.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
actually bought six months old with no problems and massive savings, let someone else put it right first and pay for it (putting it right and the depreciation).

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Bought brand new because i am financialy able to buy outright, but wouldnt have done if i had needed credit. Had a couple of very minor probs that i sorted myself as i believe if you want a job doing right do it yourself. I intend to buy new again and going off numerous posts on here in the past i would buy from johns cross if they could source the van i wanted, as lost faith in my dealer and all reports on them that i have seen have been favourable. No connection etc just an observation.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
.so please no more....my eyes ache reading it. Its our choice and our business and personal preference.... so let us get on with it.........each to their own eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said.

It doesn't work like that on an open forum. YOU post your message to US, if you don't like what comes back then tough. As a relieved MP said on Thursday "If you can't stand the heat don't come into the kitchen".

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
It doesn't work like that on an open forum. YOU post your message to US, if you don't like what comes back then tough. As a relieved MP said on Thursday "If you can't stand the heat don't come into the kitchen".

I think that's kind of true - whilst it can be immensely irritating to always have your posts replied to with the same message, it's perhaps important to bear in mind that asking a question and getting a reply on here is not just a one to one process. Whilst you might feel someone's reply is irrelevant or you have heard it all before, for someone else reading that same reply it could be the first thing they ever read on MHfun, and it might just really resonate with them.

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet

Oh on that premise, which I totally understand where your coming from...and its got nothing to do with what comes back....I'm just fed up to the back teeth of having to justify myself........ so here are our thoughts on why "we want brand new"....we don't want to know that somebody else has slept in the bed...........we don't want to inherit other peoples......smell/sweat/odours..........we don't want to inherit other peoples urinal habits ie. splashback having gotten into plyboard etc....every 2nd hand motorhome we walk in has peoples own smells in them. Also wouldn't want to buy a 2nd hand one which could possibly throw up even more problems than the niggles a new one could or would........now I've had my reasons for new as had not posted before as didn't want to disrespect peoples personal reasons....but as you've opened the door for me......in your words Brian........."if you don't like what comes back tough".......and yes there is only one kitchen I'm going to get out of and thats your one"....... Others happily have a cuppa with whatever their views....and yes I do take on others view but somehow they don't seem to read to me quite as bullish......then again its all in the written word and ones interpretation of them.:RollEyes:

P.s....If I get asked to leave forum because I have dared answer you back....fair enough.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Oh on that premise, which I totally understand where your coming from...and its got nothing to do with what comes back......here are our thoughts on why "we want brand new"....we don't want to know that somebody else has slept in the bed...........we don't want to inherit other peoples......smell/sweat/odours..........we don't want to inherit other peoples urinal habits ie. splashback having gotten into plyboard etc....every 2nd hand motorhome we walk in has peoples own smells in them. Also wouldn't want to buy a 2nd hand one which could possibly throw up even more problems than the niggles a new one could or would........now I've had my reasons for new as had not posted before as didn't want to disrespect peoples personal reasons....but as you've opened the door for me......in your words Brian........."if you don't like what comes back tough".......and yes there is only one kitchen I'm going to get out of and thats your one"....... Others happily have a cuppa with whatever their views......xxxx
not exactly funster spirit coming through. Maybe the result of some other spirit.:Smile:

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: No I wish.....lightweight me.....one glass of the old vino and I'm all wobbly..........no just p.......d off with having to justify. It just seems everytime I or someone puts about brand new......continually knock back from certain ?..........So I thought someone has to stick up for the likes of folks who only want brand new....so tralalalalalaaaaaa:Smile:.......me.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I'm trying to post a poll - let's just see if I meet with success ...

Hmm, I think it's worked, though I might have got it a bit wrong. This is to try to clarify my thoughts about whether to buy new or old. I keep getting the feeling that somehow buying second hand is safer, in terms of less disappointment with poor quality snagging, but that might just be because that's what makes people complain most vocally ....

Thank you for anyone who contributes - I've just realised I was going to go back in and add the same questions for MHs over 7yrs but I can't edit the poll! Where's the smacking myself round the head smiley when I need it. I blame the wine consumed to celebrate my football team's promotion today ;-)

Not quite what you're looking for, but the same sentiment.:roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, would,nt it be nice to have unlimited finance .have the camper that you really want built with no expense spared .
dowe have a small compact get into little villages one?do we have a 7.5 ton truck converted ?4x4?
even if we had all the money in the world we need about 6 campers built into one .
life is so difficult when you have so many choices.
what ever happened to an old bedford ca with mattresses chucked in the back .
or a early split screen vw .life is hard now ,too many choices .

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
I thought long and hard before I spent my ill gotten cash on my latest (Second hand Hymer 522) M/H.

I sort of wanted to buy new but after weighing it all up we went used (private sale).

We saved a lot of money.
All the niggles have been sorted out.
We got a lot of extras that would have cost more.

On the other hand,

We got no warranty, (We do have another three years damp warranty though).
I suppose someone else has used the bed but they do in hotels anyway.
Same goes for toilet etc.

Mine is clean and tidy and just like new (almost) even at three years old,
no pets, non smokers, and no children. (Nothing against children you understand, but we have experience of the destructive capabilities of three grandchildren!).

I suppose it's like everything in life, "yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice".

Hallii

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
God bless you.

Without people like you I'd have had to pay out thousands more *and* spent months in dealers getting the van finished.

Thank you.

It's all down to personal preference and of course money,Without giving it large we have had two brand new RV's but if we could nt of afforded it we would have gone second hand,before anybody comes back with "more money than sense" we both work hard and in my case a shitty job but the pay ain't bad so I want to see what I'm working for.
We have been lucky in that the problems have been few and far between with both our brand new purchases and what did go wrong was put right by the dealers straight away,I can see where Brian is coming from ie faults and financial loss as soon as you get the thing out of the showroom but if youre not bothered who has slept in the bed or used the loo then thats fine:ROFLMAO:.
Its all down to options and preferences and imho the most important,where am I gonna get the money for my next brand new RV ?:roflmto:
Chill out and enjoy what we've got.

Great thread by the way !

Regards to all,John P.:thumb:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Different strokes... Thank heavens for diverse thinking:winky:
The thing that always interests me is the thought that the dealer should fix faults.
Me, I always consider all warranties as waste paper. I buy on the basis taht anything that goes wrong is for me to fix and I don't mean take it to an "expert" and expect them to know what to do...If I don't understand it, I try not to buy it:RollEyes:
Net result, I seldom feel dissappointed and very seldom have any problems with dealers - even when we bought the last two vans from Brownhills:Eeek:
So when you do the next poll, lets have an option for they DIY brigade.
Interesting poll though, thanks for thinking it up.
Patrick

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
Different strokes... Thank heavens for diverse thinking:winky:
The thing that always interests me is the thought that the dealer should fix faults.
Me, I always consider all warranties as waste paper. I buy on the basis taht anything that goes wrong is for me to fix and I don't mean take it to an "expert" and expect them to know what to do...If I don't understand it, I try not to buy it:RollEyes:
Net result, I seldom feel dissappointed and very seldom have any problems with dealers - even when we bought the last two vans from Brownhills:Eeek:
So when you do the next poll, lets have an option for they DIY brigade.
Interesting poll though, thanks for thinking it up.
Patrick

What a great reply.......my hubby is the same.....any niggles he can and will fix....he is really looking forward to making our mh our 2nd home on wheels and has lots of ideas up his sleeves.......thank you for this positive reply.:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's all down to personal preference

Of course it is.

I really don't know how problems in an RV compare to Euro vans. I tent to look on RV as big and crude, blunt instrument as made by a blackmith, whereas Euro vans are getting so flashy and complicated which is made worse by the weight limitations.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Of course it is.

I really don't know how problems in an RV compare to Euro vans. I tent to look on RV as big and crude, blunt instrument as made by a blackmith, whereas Euro vans are getting so flashy and complicated which is made worse by the weight limitations.

My RV is big and beautiful with the best paint job in the world and she is my pride and joy.As for problems comparing I would say there's not a lot in it,My National had to have a new inverter fitted which was beyond my capabilities but she was under warrantry so it was replaced in no time,in fact it was fitted at my house(not sure if I can name the dealer but they are great)
As for the euros getting flashy you dont get that with RV's as they are quietly understated and classy :roflmto:
I think if the euro vans could talk they would all want to be RVs when they grow up :ROFLMAO:
If we ever get to a funsters rally,can I park next to you please Brian,I hope you like a sherry or two cos I think alcohol will be needed to change your mind:thumb:

Regards,John P.

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
My RV is big and beautiful with the best paint job in the world and she is my pride and joy.As for problems comparing I would say there's not a lot in it,My National had to have a new inverter fitted which was beyond my capabilities but she was under warrantry so it was replaced in no time,in fact it was fitted at my house(not sure if I can name the dealer but they are great)
As for the euros getting flashy you dont get that with RV's as they are quietly understated and classy :roflmto:
I think if the euro vans could talk they would all want to be RVs when they grow up :ROFLMAO:
If we ever get to a funsters rally,can I park next to you please Brian,I hope you like a sherry or two cos I think alcohol will be needed to change your mind:thumb:

Regards,John P.

I think your van is handsome, beautiful, very elegant and classy.......it has lovely clean lines....must be a joy to use and live in.......I'm sure it must turn a lot of heads.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
At the end of the day it's who you're with that counts not what you 've got.We have friends we go away with their "euro" and even though they like the space etc in the RV they openly say they would nt have one cos its too big .
We go away with friends who would nt swap me for their tent !!!!!!!!! which looks dead funny when we are away together.Most importantly my Mrs,if she' s not warm and comfortable we ain t going anywhere:ROFLMAO:
I would nt swap her for the world !(the RV that is):winky:

Regards to all,John P.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Regards,John P.

I'll have a sherry or two, I especially like Croft's Original, but there's nothing to change. Crude, made by a blacksmith is a compliment. The Eurovans are by comparison fragile almost designed to fail and some with abysmal quality control.

The downside to American Crude is it uses so much American or Arab crude.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
I'm surprised at that Brian,Burstner,a good solid german build or are they cutting corners too ?
My yank is lpg powered but still thirsty and I've undersealed her twice and she's only coming up two years old.To be fair i just love tinkering !!!!!!!!!
Croft original it is.:Smile:

John P.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm surprised at that Brian,Burstner,a good solid german build or are they cutting corners too ?
My yank is lpg powered but still thirsty and I've undersealed her twice and she's only coming up two years old.To be fair i just love tinkering !!!!!!!!!
Croft original it is.:Smile:

John P.

Our 03 Burstner is really good. That was what clinched it, we'd done every dealer in the area looking, then I was near Barrons and called in and stepped into this van and immediately fell for it, condition and quality. Took 'er indoors back next day and bought it. I've spent hours on it adding to the wiring and not found any nasty workmanship. No rotten floor or twisted doors on this.

I was talking about newer vans when I made the comment on Euro vans. How many messages have your read "unscrew the control panel off the wall, pull the power plug this will reset it". This is salesmen designed, a nice graphic panel looks good but if they don't spend the money on a robust design it's a liability. Rotting floors. Faulty doors. Collapsing beds. It's a disgrace.

One comment I made to an RV owner in here after looking under his van, "it's a bit rusty", trying to be kind. I was itching to find a drum of waxoyl. But in reality the thinkness of the metal it would take 100 years to rust through. Not so some of the wiring. Then wiring under a lot of these vehicles leaves a lot to be desired, like unprotected strip connectors.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back