Postive vibes! (1 Viewer)

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
Having just read a post on new v old by Whiterose....and the questions therein. Got me thinking, at times as a newbie and yet to purchase mh.....it gets :Eeek: reading so much negativity at times about niggles and depreciation and hits etc.........especially when purchasing new.....sooooooooooooooooooooooo people how about we hear

How much you love your motorhome.
The good bits.
Why one should buy a particular model or make etc.

I would just love to hear and read positive vibes....a lovely feelgood thread.

No matter what age your mh.. whether your purchased new or 2nd hand.....cheers me dears:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
people how about we hear
How much you love your motorhome.
The good bits.
Why one should buy a particular model or make etc.

Give over. It's this simple.

Buy good SH MH. Go. Have incredible FUN.

What more do you want ?

Get on with it, you might be dead next year.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well were do I start with this one........I bought a 1989 Tiffin RV about 5 years ago which has served me very well since,for ME its the perfect layout and have converted it for long range/long term travel,solar pannels,large battery bank,extra fuel tank etc,.There was a time I thought of parting with it,but when I looked around I couldnt find anything that would suit my neads better,at any price.So decieded to keep it.
I recently imported a VW LT coachbuilt which I plan on touring with,and after doing some alterations,again to suit MY neads better am very happy with that,even though its a bit younger than my Tiffin,only by a year its a 1990.
Have not owned a new vehicle since 1989 as I learnt my lesson with the depreciation on that one and vowed never to buy new again.
Both my motorhomes are perfect for MY neads and the different jobs that they were bought to do...Having seid that they sertainly would not be ideal for everyone.
Regarding the benifits of new and old...from what I have read on recent forums am very happy that I dont have the funds to buy new,what with doors falling off and beds collapsing into the garage,not to mention gearboxes and turbos.
Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i bought a 13 year old mini artic outfit. vw lt50 pulling a lynton trailer .fitted it out in my garden. visited most of europe and n,w africa .
4 yr ago bought our local graveyard tipper truck ,converted it into a mini artic unit .been very pleased .bust the g.box last year 1800 quid for a brand new spanking box . never mind .
you dont need a new vehicle to enjoy life ,my trailer was built in 1987. it as a hard life going where it was never made to be or go. paris daker roads ,through rivers over mountains . yes it breaks .stop fix go on again .
if it was a dog or child i would be locked up. see it at a show its lovelly .or come away with us next winter . could be the sahara or the sinai dont know yet but it will be fun.
cheers alan.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Um, then perhaps I might be better off hiring one, don't you think?

There is a lot to be said for that. John's Cross are near to Dover and I guess will do as good a deal as anyone, so you could pick one up and be in France in 3 hours.

It's a good way to test the water.

We just bought on impulse and it's worked. A 4 year old van with 4000 miles on the clock, saved a fortune and never had a moments trouble. One crack on the rear bumper was the only thing different from when it was new, the oven had never been used. Fate smiled too because it's pre-juddergate so no heartache in that.

It's all loaded up, 24,000 on the clock now, and it will be parked by Lake Garda next Friday with 25,000 on the clock.

If you can't get away a lot then hiring from a good firm makes very good financial sense.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Bloodywell hope not.....can't afford to purchase until next year:cry:.

I don't know your situation but the odds are in your favour. Last year I remarked to my wife "saw Peter in town today, looking good", he was 60ish and found dead in his field a few days later. You must know many such stories too.

Never waste time, it's irreplaceable.

But why wait if you can afford a near new one now. We bought in August, did The Highlands, The Lakes and Paris before the bad weather.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thousands of miles of fun wasted. hundreds of places not visited .
why wait, you use it once its second hand.
its alot of money to spend are you sure you know just what you want.
buy now repent in leisure .

thepadster

Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
not long in this one
Hi there ,i dont think you need to spend lots of money to find a motorhome that you can put to good use , my partner and i bought a 1991 talbot autoquest 320 for £5,000 and have used it on weekend trips , driven around france in it , in july we are going to france again and are gonna drive down to spain .All in all it was a good buy for us its got everything we need.It is a fantastic way to see places and we love our old van very much, anyway take care and i hope it all works out for you

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
I bought my first M'home 12 years ago, thought why wait until retirement only to find that I may not be able to live the dream due to ill health or similar. So PX car and caravan for first Second hand van a 5 year old Autotrail Cheyenne. Kept it for 5 years and then PX'd for another SH 1 year old Bucaneer, did not like it that much as I went for looks rather than livability, what a mistake. decided to change and invest in new one and bought Swift Kontiki 665 with a rear fixed corner bed. What a fantastic M'home, extremely reliable, travelled every summer to Europe touring around 6-7 sites/areas per trip, last year did a month tour of Spain, brilliant. We looked at changing 2 years ago and spent a whole day at the NEC trying to find our ideal van but came away with the opinion that our Kontiki was still the best. Last October saw an advert for new Autotrail Comanche, it was identical front lounge layout like Kontiki but at 8.7 metres long and with a rear Island bed this had the WOW factor and with the addition of lifes extra luxuries as add ons we now have the perfect van. Collected it last Saturday and had our first weekend away in it. between now and end of August we have another 5 weekenders away in it, a week in may at Wales and our sumer trip this year is a 30 day tour of Scotland.

I have previously had Trailer Tents and Caravans and would not go back. It is more a matter of lifestyles, caravans are great for staying on one site for extended periods and you have a car to get around in. However, in a Motorhome we do not tend to stay any longer than 3-4 nights on any one site. Never had any problems getting out and about using shank's pony, bicycles, local buses and/or trains and in germany even river taxi's.

I am fortunate that I can keep my van at the side of my house so it is just a matter of putting in clothes and food and away we go. great for Friday nights when you just need to get away from the bricks and mortar. Sometimes we use local sites, only 30 minutes to an Hour's drive away but it feels as if we are on holiday and we get back by lunchtime on a Sunday so still have a bit of time to relax before another working week.

When I bought my first van I did not have a car so I went to work in the van, did our shopping in it and visited the rellies. Amazing what you get used to.

If you have the inclination to go out and have some freedom, whatever the season, go and get yourself a M'home, second hand or new it doesn't matter the lifestyle is just the same and it is great fun and you get to see some places you probably wouldn't think twice about visiting.

Finally, if you are comfortable driving in the UK you will love the continent as it is much easier, the roads are generally quieter than the Uk roads and it does not take long to get used to driving on the right hand side and there are a lot more campsites, small or large, aires, French Passion sites which are farms, vineyards, restaraunts etc which are 'FREE' to use (usually no facilities though so you have to be self sufficient).

If you make the move to Motorhoming I am confident that you will love it :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
Big Momma, what a wonderful uplifting post and living your dream......would love to be able to do it now this year...would love to be able to afford it (perhaps if we hadn't had 3 daughters get married in 2 years).....its taken us nearly five years to get straight financially.:Eeek: Oh the girls wanted the works...don't you know!?
Anyways hubby retires early next year and the funds will then be available for us to purchase, in the meantime...hubbys been reading lots of download literature and the like from here and tuther sites.....we're finding out lots in the meantime. But whilst I'm waiting....am soooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to my cruise on the new Celebrity Eclipse, oh yes the very same one that picked the stranded holidaymakers up from Spain......what a beautiful ship she is.....visiting some lovely ports in the med...wonderful:thumb:

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Big Momma, what a wonderful uplifting post and living your dream......would love to be able to do it now this year...would love to be able to afford it (perhaps if we hadn't had 3 daughters get married in 2 years).....its taken us nearly five years to get straight financially.:Eeek: Oh the girls wanted the works...don't you know!?
Anyways hubby retires early next year and the funds will then be available for us to purchase, in the meantime...hubbys been reading lots of download literature and the like from here and tuther sites.....we're finding out lots in the meantime. But whilst I'm waiting....am soooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to my cruise on the new Celebrity Eclipse, oh yes the very same one that picked the stranded holidaymakers up from Spain......what a beautiful ship she is.....visiting some lovely ports in the med...wonderful:thumb:

At the time I bought my first Motorhome I had two young daughters and although not in dire straights financially we were not exactly flushed. PX'ing the car and caravan only covered part of the cost and we had to take finance over 10 years to cover the rest. However it was worth every penny and here I am 12 years later still enjoying the Motorhome life. There have been a few major changes in my life since those days, divorce, re-married but life has changed for the better. Although we use the Motorhome whenever possible we do still ocassionally splash out on a Hotel package holiday and we have just returned from Eygpt so having a Motorhome does not stop you enjoying other types of holidays, the only rule we have is to enjoy life while we can because you just never know what tomorrow may bring :winky: Enjoy your cruise and take plenty of reading material (MMM, Practical Motorhome, Which Motorhome, Motorhome Monthly..............:ROFLMAO:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back