A frames update May 2018 gov. UK (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What’s the change then Kate? I don’t know what the rule was before .

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No changes really. Essentially the updated document clarifies the braking requirements for A-frames, and confirms that the advice provided relates solely to vehicle construction and use requirements. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Whoever did the spelling/grammar proof-reading for that revised note before they published it should get the sack.

The note now seems stronger than before on the "this is only probably legal within the UK; other countries laws are different" message.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Does it not imply that vehicles with ESC or AEB cannot be A framed as they will not operate?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Whoever did the spelling/grammar proof-reading for that revised note before they published it should get the sack.

The note now seems stronger than before on the "this is only probably legal within the UK; other countries laws are different" message.
Same guy who wrote the opening lines for Startrek.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Does it not imply that vehicles with ESC or AEB cannot be A framed as they will not operate?
I thought that at first read - but if true there would be little point in their clarification because it would exclude all current cars being used as a toad.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I thought that at first read - but if true there would be little point in their clarification because it would exclude all current cars being used as a toad.
I cant see any other way to see it. It implies that the car braking should work as intended, and AEB and ESC wont when being towed.
Strange that it doesnt mention ABS

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I cant see any other way to see it. It implies that the car braking should work as intended, and AEB and ESC wont when being towed.
Strange that it doesnt mention ABS
Unsurprisingly the clarification raises more questions than it answers :).

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Useful clarification of the law in the UK - now if we can only get those idiots in Europe to agree!!

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Useful clarification of the law in the UK - now if we can only get those idiots in Europe to agree!!

They have agreed.
They've almost all agreed right across mainland Europe.
They've agreed that it is illegal to tow one road vehicle on it's road wheels with another on their roads.

The one set of idiots in a part of Europe that still hasn't quite yet definitively banned the practice is .... the UK;)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It begs the question as to why they would update the advice , one has to ask is it in preparation to take moves to get a stated case , to effectively ban , as Brexit will cause UK needing to sign and ratify
Vienna Convention on Road Traffic , which they have yet to do .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
It begs the question as to why they would update the advice , one has to ask is it in preparation to take moves to get a stated case , to effectively ban , as Brexit will cause UK needing to
sign and ratify
Vienna Convention on Road Traffic , which they have yet to do .
uk might not ever sign it. havnt so far. it really started before the eu and even before uk joined the eec.
best we dont sign and tell the rest of europe to go away.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There are two Vienna Conventions, one concerning traffic and the earlier 1961 one concerning diplomatic relations. I think they sometimes get confused. We are not the only Eoropean nation that has not ratified the traffic one.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
They have agreed.
They've agreed that it is illegal to tow one road vehicle on it's road wheels with another on their roads.

The one set of idiots in a part of Europe that still hasn't quite yet definitively banned the practice is .... the UK;)
Have you ever towed a car with an electronically braked A Frame?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

No it's not.

It's a clarification of their interpretation of current trailer legislation and how they're guessing it applies to these devices.

The law can't be clarified by the government, only by the court. (Parliament is technically a court)

Last edited by a moderator:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

I’m curious to understand the flaws that you found.

Can you enlighten us (me)?

Ian

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
All these A frame threads etc are great. I am just about to get a A frame for my toad so hope it becomes legal all over the whole world. (y)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
They have agreed.

What about towing a caravan ?

The only difference between a towed car and a caravan is the caravan is and never can be as stable as towed car.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What about towing a caravan ?

The only difference between a towed car and a caravan is the caravan is and never can be as stable as towed car.

A caravan is specifically designed to be towed.

These devices are a modification to a car that is not designed to be towed.

Is the modification adequate for long term use? The rest of Europe say no, the UK doesn't have a clue but nobody cares enough to test it so someone's best guess is as good as it's going to get.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I would really like to know if any of the naysayers have actually towed with one and what exactly did you discover was fundementally wrong with the setup?

I have in the past towed boats, small trailers and caravans and my current A Frame setup has been the most stable towing combination.

Just an observation but I have seen more badly maintained/loaded trailers involved in breakdown/accident situations.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Both my cars have towing eyes on the front. I assume these eyes have been specifically designed to be used....

Two questions:

1. Is the towing eye designed to be used for prolonged periods or long distances? Or is it perhaps intended only for recovery over short distances?

2. Does the A frame device connect only to the towing eye and nowhere else on the vehicle?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Both my cars have towing eyes on the front. I assume these eyes have been specifically designed to be used....
Yes, they have.......but with a straight tow pole and a person in control of steering and, if necessary, braking.
The most common use is to winch an broken down car onto a slidebed/beavertail recovery truck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back