Nationwide Flex Plus (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
i suspect this may have been said before but I wanted clarification for ‘long trips’ for medical cover. If I want to travel to Europe for anymore than 31 days at a time (flex plus is £13 a month with other insurance benefits so it’s £156 a year to start) then I have to pay a premium. For example if I chose to go for 90 days it’s about another 90 quid on top but I then have to return to UK. I could take 180 days cover(one trip) but that will be 220 quid on top of monthly fee so a total of £376. I would then not be covered for medical stuff and when I then return to UK it would be NHS cover and still have breakdown cover for UK as well as phone cover etc.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I get all the value I need from it by the breakdown and the travel insurance.. everything else is a bonus.. that being said, my additional annual premium for declared conditions is £50 which includes adding my spouse (not a joint account) and I don't expect to be in EU for more than 31 days at a time..

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
If you keep the current account above £2,500 you get about £6 in interest. That makes cost about £7.

Take off brake down cover for car and scooter (European) throw in joint travel insurance and a couple of other benefits.

Can’t se ought to better it at the price. However not happy with med screening top up.

Ahh forgot commission free cash and purchases at a non inflated exchange rate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Every time I used our Nationwide branch (account was for backup mostly) they pestered me to upgrade to Flex Plus. When I enquired about pre existing medical conditions they basically asked if I was joking and said they wouldn't consider me at any price. I asked them to stop trying to sell me Flex Plus either in branch or via e mail or post. Nothing changed so i closed our accounts.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There is not an insurance company on the planet that would give me 90 days travel insurance at any price other than Nationwide. OK, so it costs me a bob or two extra but with the bit of interest I get from them it breaks even over the year.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the cover is really cheap for whats included they could do unlimited cover and include all medical conditions but the monthly cost would put most off as they would never use it or have the medical conditions. Its bound to be aimed at the most common type of use so maybe best to look elsewhere if outside the average requirements.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
There is not an insurance company on the planet that would give me 90 days travel insurance at any price other than Nationwide. OK, so it costs me a bob or two extra but with the bit of interest I get from them it breaks even over the year.
Hope my comments don't offend but am puzzled by what you say. Nationwide will not consider me at any price for any travel insurance but I am able , at a price, to getannual cover for up to 66 days. 90 days totally out of the question.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hope my comments don't offend but am puzzled by what you say. Nationwide will not consider me at any price for any travel insurance but I am able , at a price, to getannual cover for up to 66 days. 90 days totally out of the question.

Just maybe they are worried I will take my overdraft elsewhere :whistle:.

Deleted User
Have made 2 claims on this flex plus policy in the last 6 months, One finalised and one from mid December ongoing.
To make a claim £50 per person
Medical notes ( in my case ) £49.
Then there is the percentage of holiday lost as in went for 4 weeks, the whole time spent in a hospital bed or hotel bed. As I was repatriated 4 days short of the 4 weeks, even still bed bound that is 4/28ths or 1/7th of the total claim lost. Couldn't take the £500 offer of recovery holiday as had to be within 90 days, ( ongoing condition)
So policy cost £250, plus £100, plus £49 then percentage £110.£500. Actual insurance cost £1009, less £25 per day confined to Foreign Hospital, not UK hospital, grant.
On the other hand, expert service, X Ray, Scan, 7 Ambulances and a Learjet back to UK, how much would that have cost?
READ the Small print, especially with regard to repatriation, and what can be claimed for.

Deleted User
Forgot to mention the monthly charge for this system in the first place.
Will be looking for an actual insurance broker next time we long haul out of the UK

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We have travel insurance with the Post Office, cover up to 60 days with as many trips as you like. This covers our requirements for now at a price that is less than the new monthly £13 fee from nationwide. Should we want a longer period they sell a single trip policy with up to 365 days. Call me old fashioned if you will but I’m just happier buying cover from an insurance company rather than a bank or building society who are no doubt selling a third party product and putting a margin on top for themselves.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can I ask with the flex plus do you not also get breakdown cover.
Seems to me with travel cover you get a lot for your £13 less £7 if you keep the required balance in your account.
Or am I missing something as I haven’t delved too deep into having one of these accounts yet.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@Crazylegs in the small print the post office insurance didnt cover swimming.
Is that still the case?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Can I ask with the flex plus do you not also get breakdown cover.
Seems to me with travel cover you get a lot for your £13 less £7 if you keep the required balance in your account.
Or am I missing something as I haven’t delved too deep into having one of these accounts yet.

Yes, breakdown cover is included for any vehicle under 7.5 tons you are travelling in, anywhere in Europe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back