allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
With the mossie season upon us, I was wondering if anyone else uses the deterrant properties of the vitamin B in Marmite to ward off the little 'nuisances' :Sad:

Eating it rather than spreading it that is! :RollEyes:

Any other ideas welcome ...

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
It'd ward me off, yyyeeeeukkk!

:ROFLMAO:

I go for the alcohol method, drinks lots and you wont care if they bit you. If irritation does occur, increase dosage......!

OP
OP
allie sommerville

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
It'd ward me off, yyyeeeeukkk!

:ROFLMAO:

:roflmto::roflmto:

Well you could try adding it to something to disguise the taste!

Personally, I can't get enough of the stuff - they do say you either love it or hate it.
But Aussies we've met on site swear by it as a repellent (though of course they use Vegemite).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Holidayed in Dumfries and Galloway for many years, two or three times a year. The only thing that really works is Zeet. Ask the forestry workers up there and they will tell you. :thumb:

OP
OP
allie sommerville

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Holidayed in Dumfries and Galloway for many years, two or three times a year. The only thing that really works is Zeet. Ask the forestry workers up there and they will tell you. :thumb:

Yes but what is Zeet?
I don't like to take anything chemical! OR spread it on myself!

ps have googled it but came up with nothing!

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
With the mossie season upon us, I was wondering if anyone else uses the deterrant properties of the vitamin B in Marmite to ward off the little 'nuisances' :Sad:

Eating it rather than spreading it that is! :RollEyes:

Any other ideas welcome ...

I have asked our local chemist about this and got told that you have to build up your intake over several weeks to get enough vitamin B into your system for it to take effect, so no use suddenly starting to eat it when you get there.

OP
OP
allie sommerville

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
I have asked our local chemist about this and got told that you have to build up your intake over several weeks to get enough vitamin B into your system for it to take effect, so no use suddenly starting to eat it when you get there.

Well I should 'B' OK then ::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I take a broad spectrum vit B tablet from May onwards.
Infact thanks for reminding me :thumb:
It has all the B vitamins in it. Just one a day on a morning , makes the world of difference to me.
Its bad enough in Britain , i used to avoid going anywhere near slow running or still water , but worse abroad . I couldn't go anywhere without being fully armed with everything invented , to try to repel and sooth afterwards .
I am usually the only person attacked at a BBQ , or whilst eating out on our holidays. Ive tried all the sprays , lotions , shockers , etc. Bought hats with nets , infact sat out many an evening in a full mosquito net ! Over a wide brimmed hat , net tied at the bottom so i looked like a parcel !
I can still manage to drink the wine through it though.:ROFLMAO:

By taking the broad spec vit B , it doesn't actually stop the buggers biting me completely. But i know people who it has .
I may get the odd one or two on exposed areas. BUT its nothing like before.
You couldn't put a finger between them sometimes. Ouch.
They just love me. Its got worse the older Ive got too. The bites dont become infected anymore , since taking the vit B . I can get away with a mild antihistamine cream now.

This means i dont have to walk around looking like i have a very bad case of teenage acne !! Not a good look when your 46:roflmto:

Try it.
Marmite has it in it ( vit B) though only a small amount .
So that might be why it works for some. It didn't me.
Bev

OP
OP
allie sommerville

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
My OH suffers like you, Bev! he insists it's because he is so sweet :ROFLMAO:
But since he's been on the 'B's he's not bitten as much.
I prefer the Marmite option though.

An Aussie girl told us that she was taking B for blood poisoning (!) and her Docs said that it would stop her from being bitten too.
Mossies are a BIG problem out there apparently :Sad:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, all,OH asked this question recently and was told that Avon SO- SOFT did the trick- it HAS to be the spray though, not the cream. Several people agreed with the advice. We are going up to Scotland later in the year, but I like Marmite - so i'll stick to that. (not literally ,of course) before any of you make silly comments!
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as most seem to get bitten in the evening or during the night,heres a way to stop it ,in the van. use gas lights .i use two of the old caravan style lpg gas lights heat light and they keep mozzies away .try it you will be amazed.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
This is the stuff we used (active ingredient Zeet) http://www.jungleformula.co.uk/

Yes it is a chemical repellant but as I say it was recommendd to us by the workers in the Galloway forest. :thumb: If you are bitten as badly as SWMBO and I then anything that stops the little b*****s is good. By the way you will be OK if you avoid the pregnant females they are the ones that bite. :Eeek: I intend getting more powerful glasses so I an tell the difference. :Cool:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
to 'b' or not to 'be'

Hi, last weekend I met some older folk, and the ladies also said that the Avon so soft worked for her.
Worth a try, S.

bluelass

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
north wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
5 years
Hi, last weekend I met some older folk, and the ladies also said that the Avon so soft worked for her.
Worth a try, S.

I use the Avon stuff too and it works for me. I love Marmite though so it'll give me an excuse to eat lots more:thumb:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Allie, you say "But Aussies we've met on site swear by it as a repellent (though of course they use Vegemite)."

How the Hades would they know? There are very few Aussies in the world who are not personally repellent enough to scare off a sabre-toothed tiger, so a few Mosquitoes will die every time they shift an arm or a buttock...

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ive tried the Avon stuff. It does work for some , not me.
I like Marmite , but theres hardly any vit B in it , if you only get bitten once in a while it may be worth a go.
If you know your going to get attacked as soon as you go out of the door .
If your bites swell up like mini volcanoes , itch like hell , and you even get them on your scalp :cry: ( and nether regions , whilst sleeping i may add :Blush:)
Please try broad spectrum vit B tablets. These contain all the B vitamins. 1 a day is all you need. If your concerned check it out with your doctor.
They work from within.
You give off a scent the mozzies dont like. No one else can smell it , you wont be walking round smelling of marmite.
You dont smell like an old lady ( Avon stuff) a chemical fly spray ( deet ) just your normal self.
I get mine from Boots buy 3 pay for 2 . :thumb:
I was told of vit B by an Ozzy , have used it ever since.
Bev

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Please correct me if wrong, because I AM NOT ONE HUNDRED PER CENT SURE, was Deet not the product that there were dangers with if used on children?

I am not sure but there was something last year or so where one of the insect repellants contained a chemical that had severe side effects.

Might be worth looking into. Hope I am wrong.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back