Dog Food in France (1 Viewer)

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
This may seem like a daft question..... but here goes..

We are due to go over to France at the end of the month and its the first time with the dogs. I'm trying to plan ahead for food but to save carrying 3 weeks worth around can anyone tell me if you can buy Bakers Complete dried food and tins of Butchers Meat Chunks in Jelly in France.

I'm not too worried about Jack - he will eat anything but Jess is really fussy and it has taken months to get her on some sort of regular feeding regime - we found she loves Butchers followed by some dried Bakers - it has to be two courses - she won't eat it if its mixed together!!!:Eeek:

Of course we don't pander to her every whim or spoil her rotten - not!!!:winky:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Its the fact that you pander to them that has made them so bloody fussy :Eeek:

If a dog is hungry it will eat, its a simple biological fact, dogs will eat anything (and i do mean anything) if they are hungry enough.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The dog we have now has only ever ate Iams mixed with a small amount of meat. If she eats anything else, and she will, there's murder with her stomach :RollEyes:

She only eats Iams because thats all she is ever given.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Its the fact that you pander to them that has made them so bloody fussy :Eeek:

That's Man's Best Friend you are talking about, you cruel heartless beast.

It was Marie Antoinette who, when someone said "the dogs are starving" she replied "let them eat chat.". And look where it got her.

Manouche

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
You could try posting on "Angloinfo" pets section.
Someone there will tell you.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Cruel heartless beast :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Why do dog owners humanise their pets ? Dogs are more than capable of surviving on most types of food lets not forget they are all decended from wolves, you dont see wolves queueing up outside Pets R Us for their fix of Pedigree Chum do you??

Ask any vet (and i can cos my sister is a vet!!!) the vast majority of dog digestive problems has nothing to do with the dog and a LOT to do with the owners and what they feed them.

A dog has an incredible digestive system capable of dealing with most type of food from rotting meat to grass, they dont NEED expensive processed foods, its the adverts that make owners think they have to have it to keep the dog healthy :Doh:

Henryhymer

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
Funster No
Don't know about availability of regular dog food brands but I know where there are some rubber tyres on a bright red 5.4ltr V8 Supercharged car like thingummy that your dog could chew on seeings as they eat anything I think it only fair!

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
I hope your dogs like garlic, I think it is in everything in France, including dog food, (made from snails and frogs ).

Hallii

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
I hope your dogs like garlic, I think it is in everything in France, including dog food, (made from snails and frogs ).

Hallii

Your are wrong. We have been here 10 years and the one thing that is in everything, and I do mean everything including cough medicine/paracetamol etc, is VANILLA. I don't know what it is with the French and Vanilla, it is very rare that you find something that hasn't got it in.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Don't know about availability of regular dog food brands but I know where there are some rubber tyres on a bright red 5.4ltr V8 Supercharged car like thingummy that your dog could chew on seeings as they eat anything I think it only fair!

They would have to catch it first....without me running them over :winky::ROFLMAO:

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
Three weeks of Bakers would not take much room up, unless you keep Bull Mastiffs of course.

I watched a problem about dog foods and the additives put in them, and Bakers came out badly because of all the chemicals they chuck in it.

BHA, E320
BHT, E321
Propyl Gallate, E310
Citric Acid, E330
Potassium Sorbate, E202
Propan -1,2-diol, E490
Iron Oxide, E172
Indigo Carmine, E132
Tartrazine, E102
Sunset Yellow, E110
Quinoline Yellow, E104
Titanium Dioxide, E171
Carbon Black, E153

In more detail:

E320 - has been found to be tumour-producing when fed to rats. In human studies it has been linked with urticaria, angioedema and asthma

E321 - banned for use in food in Japan, Romania, Sweden, and Australia. The US has barred it from being used in infant foods. So bad McNasty's have voluntarily eliminated it from their products.

E310 - Banned from children's foods in the US because it is thought to cause the blood disorder methemoglobinemia

E172 - Banned in Germany

E132 - Can cause skin sensitivity, a rash similar to nettle rash, itching, nausea, high blood pressure and breathing problems. One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children.
Prohibited in Norway.

E102 - TARTRAZINE - A trial on 76 children diagnosed as hyperactive, showed that tartrazine provoked abnormal behaviour patterns in 79% of them

E110 - Sunset Yellow (E110) has been found to damage kidneys and adrenals when fed to laboratory rats. It has also been found to be carcinogenic when fed to animals

E104 - One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children. Banned in Australia, Japan, Norway and the United States.

E171 - Banned in Germany

E153 - Banned as a food additive in the United States of America. Suspected as a carcinogenic agent.

And which food contains all these?

Bakers Complete.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Dog Food in France

Let's stick with the label, guys. If the Froggies eat frogs, snail etc, why shouldn't they eat dogs? Probably make good food - or chow, as it's known in the East.

Chiens chauds has the right sort of ring, somehow...

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Your are wrong. We have been here 10 years and the one thing that is in everything, and I do mean everything including cough medicine/paracetamol etc, is VANILLA. I don't know what it is with the French and Vanilla, it is very rare that you find something that hasn't got it in.

I agree with Randonneur...garlic is not used a lot ......a little.....shallots NOW THEY ARE...and wine in every thing......when we came over to live in France we did garlic bread at a B & Q and at many other meals ...they loved it and asked what it was ...we said it is a french dish ....Garlic Bread....they said NO....not French.....so we are now thinking it may be Italian??

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
sorry, going back to your question

Owned by collies.....I know what you mean I have had about 12 Rough collies over the years and they are very fussy eaters not like the Labradors I have now...and I think you have Border Collies...and of coarse changing food could give your dogs the trots (diarrhea)not the best thing in a motorhome Mmmmm

Me and the wife will look out at the supermarket next time we go.....but we both said that we have not seen any of those brands of dog foods !!!!!! so I think you are onto a looser

The main brand over here is PURINA sold in many different packets and prices......even all the vets sell Purina ...but there prices are like 10 euros for a bowl full !!! hello...but they con people after a operation they must feed the dog on this special food !!!
There also many other brands and supermarkets own brand of dried food.

Mel:thumb:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Dog Food in France

Let's stick with the label, guys. If the Froggies eat frogs, snail etc,.

How low can you sink Sir.

You are beneath contempt.

Man's best friend in a stew ?

Egad, if were younger I'd punch your nose.

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Owned by Collies.

In France there are many big shops, one of them is the Carrefour.
Jumped to their webpage and searched for it.

This is what i found: Link Removed

In my opinion most of those big shops have their own website and you can have a look. I think it will be hard to find a typical English brand but maybe you can find something alike.

If not, i can imagine you take it with you for the dog with stomac problems and give the other one the regular French food

Hope this helps

Paul and Ineke

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Mountain Man -

"How low can you sink Sir.

You are beneath contempt.

Man's best friend in a stew ?

Egad, if were younger I'd punch your nose."

If I were younger you'd have had to join the queue.

Can't see your problem, anyway, I still seem to spend most of my time in hot water, so don't let the Senior Partner know, pl.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Owned by Collies.

In France there are many big shops, one of them is the Carrefour.
Jumped to their webpage and searched for it.

This is what i found: Link Removed

In my opinion most of those big shops have their own website and you can have a look. I think it will be hard to find a typical English brand but maybe you can find something alike.

If not, i can imagine you take it with you for the dog with stomac problems and give the other one the regular French food

Hope this helps

Paul and Ineke

Paul...(Pedigree chum is a English brand),,,,,NOW the brand Friskies.... if ownedbycollies want to live in the same van as the dogs while holidaying in France......... Friskies is not the brand to use.... WIND :moon: from the back passage....the dogs will have terrible WIND:helpsos:...if ownedbycollies are kite flyers.... fine..... or have a wind turbine... fine.. but for a holiday in tranquil France !!!! .....we will all suffer from the terrible WIND that will be passed.:cry:

Mel :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

OP
OP
OwnedbyCollies
Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Believe me - no one in our family needs any help with wind!!!!:ROFLMAO: Perhaps I will avoid the Friskies!!

Thanks for all of the suggestions - needless to say some are more useful than others!! I will have a look at the major chain websites - I never thought of that.

I suppose the plus side is that we set off from England with tons of dog food and as the holiday progresses we can start to replace the payload with wine for the return leg.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back