Water damaged Motorhome floor (1 Viewer)

sweep

Free Member
May 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ten
Hello everyone I'v just joined this site, :Smile:
I was looking around for advice as I had a great shock this week ,the floor of my motor home is water damaged and I was not sure what to do I’m pretty sure it is beyond repair, bit of a bumer really. :Sad:
Anyone else had this experience? What did you do?

Barry

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
the floor of my motor home is water damaged and I was not sure what to do I’m pretty sure it is beyond repair

Welcome Sweep! Sorry to hear about the problem.

To what extent is the floor damaged? Can you be more specific? It may be possible to make good repairs, depending on where the damage is and the extent and nature of it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi it is possible to remove all lower units and replace the floor-- ask a few Swift owners circa 2005/6 who have had this done under gtee
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

sweep

Free Member
May 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ten
Thanks for your replies.
I think the problem started at the rear on this M/h there is a vent behind the oven (which we never use) I guess it is to aid cooling, I suspect that the water came in through this vent the floor became soft in front of the oven/sink no problem I thought just treat as a delaminated floor, however the door to the living area is on the drivers side just behind the drivers seat and on Wednesday when leaving to return home from a trip I stood in the electric step to enter the M/h and it pretty much collapsed under me the bolts literally pulled through the floor so I assume that the whole floor from front to rear is affected!!
Barry

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sorry to hear of your problems. Are you able to carry out any remedial work yourself? Until you find the extent of the damage you have no idea what you are dealing with. Get it to a garage and on a ramp or over an inspection pit so you can ascess how much floor is affected. It sounds like two seperate problem areas to me. Only a detailed inspection will tell if the repair is feasible or is it a scrapper. Maybe a funster could help. If the whole floor was affected then the body would be in danger of falling off, are there any signs of movement. What age is the van, what current value if it had a good floor.

OP
OP
S

sweep

Free Member
May 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ten
Thanks for your comment Wildman

There is no sign of movement at all in the body when driving or parked seems firm.

I have tried a damp meter and it go's into the red wherever I test it.

The M/h is a 1999 model, I guess it would be worth around £10,000 if sound? It’s only done just over 34000 miles.

I am astounded that the only protection to the floor is a thin sheet of vinyl over flimsy plywood.

Barry

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Thanks for your comment Wildman

There is no sign of movement at all in the body when driving or parked seems firm.

I have tried a damp meter and it go's into the red wherever I test it.

The M/h is a 1999 model, I guess it would be worth around £10,000 if sound? It’s only done just over 34000 miles.

I am astounded that the only protection to the floor is a thin sheet of vinyl over flimsy plywood.

Barry

Dont be astounded at how flimsey your pride and joy is. Euro motorhomes are built to a weight and thin ply floors dont weigh much.....nuff said :Doh:

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
Hi Sweep,
I had a similar problem. There had been some sloppy refilling of the toilet tank by the previous owner and the floor was sodden. I cut out the damage and fitted some marine ply from under the vehicle with stainless wood screws, sealing edges and surfaces with underseal. I know it's a make-do job but to replace the whole rear floor was not something I needed to get involved in. At the the last three MOT tests no comments were made and I'm happy with the repair.
I've also gone all round the vehicle, prodding the floor and sealing any potential areas with underseal. Any holes for cables etc where water can get in have been sealed. I found that plasticine is ideal. Also good for draught sealing!

let us know how you get on ok?

Tony

OP
OP
S

sweep

Free Member
May 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ten
Hi Dazzer
Interesting that you should say that they are built to a weight as I went into London last year and Boris Johnson didn’t like it as he said that my M/h was classed as being a 5.5 ton vehicle while I thought it weighed less that 3.5 tons, so I cant go into London again, as its gross laden weight is 5.5 ton! Now that is really stupid don’t you think? On a weigh bridge it is less than 3.5 ton fully laden.
Barry

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Dazzer
Interesting that you should say that they are built to a weight as I went into London last year and Boris Johnson didn’t like it as he said that my M/h was classed as being a 5.5 ton vehicle while I thought it weighed less that 3.5 tons, so I cant go into London again, as its gross laden weight is 5.5 ton! Now that is really stupid don’t you think? On a weigh bridge it is less than 3.5 ton fully laden.
Barry

Sounds like Boris has done you a favour!!! Why would anyone want to take a motorhome into London :Eeek: its bad enough on foot using the underground :ROFLMAO:.

If you must go into london and its never going to go any heavier than 3.5 tonnes get it downgraded and the logbook changed then he will welcome you with open arms (and an open wallet to take your congestion charge off you!!!)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Sweep check if it is all the floor or just specific areas -- it does sound as if it is only bits that need replacing but either way it it NOT destined to the scrappy just yet :thumb: It is not as big a job as the big boys will have you believe.
terry
PS on the swifts it was down to the skirts not being sealed allowing water to run down the sides onto the floor

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
What he said, if you are handy with the tools take your time and ask away here as there are loads of folks who can advise or point you in the right direction.:thumb:

OP
OP
S

sweep

Free Member
May 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ten
Hi Dazzer

I actually only went from the M4 to Heathrow to drop off my son to catch a plane approximately 5 mile max I would think, but got my knuckles slapped as I’m a 5.5 tonner, they say.:Sad:
But I would have liked one day to stay at the crystal palace site, but I can't now. Well not with this unit anyway.:cry:

Can you really get the gross max weight altered to comply with Boris’s bylaw?:Eeek:

Barry

OP
OP
S

sweep

Free Member
May 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ten
Thanks Dodgey and Terry

You might be right I will look into it and keep my fingers crossed.:thumb:

Barry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dazzer

I actually only went from the M4 to Heathrow to drop off my son to catch a plane approximately 5 mile max I would think, but got my knuckles slapped as I’m a 5.5 tonner, they say.:Sad:
But I would have liked one day to stay at the crystal palace site, but I can't now. Well not with this unit anyway.:cry:

Can you really get the gross max weight altered to comply with Boris’s bylaw?:Eeek:

Barry
Why would you want to :ROFLMAO: leave London to the imports and cockneys :ROFLMAO:
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I dont think you have a big problem, maybe two smaller ones
The vent at the rear is there for gas safty, do not block it off,very unlikley it lets any water in.
The door step saga is common to many motorhomes, the area gets a lot of hammer and seems almost designed to collect water and fail
the main floor around the cooker is as you suspect just delamination and is fixable with a delamination repair kit
drill a few test holes to judge the floors condition, before condeming it
Geo

laws

Free Member
Jan 20, 2010
west mids coseley
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
3years
damp floor

its very unlikely that all the floor has gone as they use marine ply ,the best way is to cut the rotting section out rebate the section back about 8 inches drop new section in and glue with pu glue ,but the sides of the van do sit on the floor hope that helps :Doh:lawson

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If it started around the oven area, it sounds like you may have had a sink tap leaking for some time. You cannot always see these, as they are often hidden behind the fridge/kitchen set up (depending on your lay-out)

Floors can be replaced. Where abouts in cornwall are you?

OP
OP
S

sweep

Free Member
May 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ten
HI I'm Near St Austell.
will see if there is any posibility of cuting out bad parts of floor but am not sure it is as simple as this but will give it a go got nothing to lose.:thumb:

Barry

OP
OP
S

sweep

Free Member
May 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ten
Hi I have check for leaks from pipes but can find not, its a real mystery.:Sad:
barry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Me too! :thumb:

Pm me your number and I will pop down and have a look at it and see how far it has gone.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
HI I'm Near St Austell.
will see if there is any posibility of cuting out bad parts of floor but am not sure it is as simple as this but will give it a go got nothing to lose.:thumb:

Barry
:ROFLMAO:Only about 10 / 12 k if you cock it up (scrap ) :ROFLMAO: let R/C help check it out :thumb:
It is a fairly simple but time consuming job :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
S

sweep

Free Member
May 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ten
Thanks Terry and R/C I have sent you my No if you are able advise would really apreciate it

Barry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Barry try wrapping some loo paper around all the pipe joints you can see / get to . This will show if any are leaking :thumb:
terry

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi Dazzer

Barry

what does your V5/log book say your weight is?

I would get under van and poke about and see how extensive rot is. remove kitchen unit and whatever furniture in the way, and cut out damp pieces and replace with marine ply.

If not up to it find a repairer to do it but this will probably cost a few ££, just try some repairers for a professional opinion, they deal with this stuff every day, and may not be as frightening as you think......

I live down south but Crossley coachcraft near Manchester? seem to know there stuff.

Damp can come from anywhere! have you damp checked the walls of your van? particularly around vents and windows? as pointless doing anything until you ID the cause......water can travel down the internal walls from roof vents Heki's windows wherever!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Well, how'd you get on?

He is probably beavering away as we speak.......in fact in anyone has a pet beaver they could loan him whilst he is doing the woodwork? ::bigsmile:

It is salvagable, and not all that bad really. The main damage area is around the step and doorway. We managed to trace the leak to the side spats/steps which we badly sealed. Water was getting in through there and running along to the join of the coach body floor, and it was lapping it up like a thirsty 17 year old locked in a pub.

Although this was the main cause of the leak, the factory fitted step had been poorly fitted. Where the loom went through the floor, they had left a large hole, some of which was filled with expanding filler foam. This gave the water full access to the floor and support beams.

So sweep is having a good chip away, new beams will be joined onto current beams when the rot has been removed, and reinforcing beams added. The floor will be taken back to the chassis leg and new section added and reinforced. Then it will be a matter of taking off the body spats and joins, and resealing them properly!:thumb:

The weight of the vehicle is quite astounding! She weights 3.2 unladen, but 5.2 laden.....that is a stonking 2 ton of wine, beer and spirits on the way home!!:Eeek:

So if you like to get the duty frees, or want to carry your motorbike - you won't find a 20 footer with that payload very often!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back