Cheap and Cheerful Aldi Genny - Best use? (1 Viewer)

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi,

Off to the continent for 2 - 3 weeks, and I may have to used my Aldi 850W Genny in anger(not literally :Cool:).

If we put aside the issue of noise pollution, as I would not use on a crowd area or early morning \ late evening.

I am concerned that such is the cheap and cheerfulness of the genny, the ac genny will spike and knacker my ehu and connected appliances.

So the options are:

AC

• ensure the genny is warmed up and just connect as usual and the ehu should be ok?
  • connect to the ehu and place an in line surge protector?
  • connect and bypass the ehu and place an in line surge protector.Dont use for AC as it will damage your appliances even if you put an in line surge protector
I guess I should buy a quality surge protector. Any recommendations?

DC

• Use to charge the leisure battery. I have not looked at the spec for what current it provides at DC. But will this cut the mustard or I guess anything is better than nothing.
I be interested to hear if other people have this type of genny, and how it performs. I recall the noise is around 65 dBA which is the low end of a noisy radio(65 - 75 dBA). Also how do you use it for AC \ DC or both?

Dave

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You are in a lose lose lose situation.

A good surge limiter costs loads.

If it spikes your electrics this costs loads.

If you use the 12V out it's only a low amperage (100W seem the norm) unregulated output and so you'd need to monitor the battery voltage manually.

Here is a bit of common sense:
http://www.dansdata.com/sbs9.htm

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I am mindful of the saying buy cheap, buy twice. In this case buy cheap, buy new EHU :Eeek:

The $64k question is will my Genny produce x number of spikes\surges during operation to override a surge protector? I have read posts where people have come a cropper i.e blown ehu, laptop. Equally, there seems to be opinion that it is not really a problem?

I am of a mind to bypass the EHU and use the TV\DVD generally low wattage devices. My thinking not drive the genny to hard will minimize the size and frequency of any spikes.

The DC, yeh agree the charging voltage is important and should be staged to maximise the charge and the life of the battery.

Any one used the Aldi or equivalent genny on AC or DC Charging?

Thanks for reply and the link.

Dave

You are in a lose lose lose situation.

A good surge limiter costs loads.

If it spikes your electrics this costs loads.

If you use the 12V out it's only a low amperage (100W seem the norm) unregulated output and so you'd need to monitor the battery voltage manually.

Here is a bit of common sense:
http://www.dansdata.com/sbs9.htm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The $64k question is will my Genny produce x number of spikes\surges during operation to override a surge protector?
Dave

I don't think anyone can answer that, that is the nature of a spike. It might only happen when you run out of fuel or get a bit of dirt in there and it stutters. Impossible to measure.

Inverter generators are much cheaper than the equipment you are powering with them.

I've got one of these but with a different name and cheaper, so far little use but no damage.

Link Removed

Your genny may be perfectly OK but can you risk it ?

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Yeh, absoloutely agree re: the spikes. No one is going to tell me if it spikes x no. times etc. But it would be interesting to see if people are using this type of genny with or without protection.

I got the genny before I had the Motorhome, just made sense to move it form the shed to the MH. I did consider purchasing a inverter genny. But wasnt sure how often I use it...well until now.

Dave

I don't think anyone can answer that, that is the nature of a spike. It might only happen when you run out of fuel or get a bit of dirt in there and it stutters. Impossible to measure.

Inverter generators are much cheaper than the equipment you are powering with them.

I've got one of these but with a different name and cheaper, so far little use but no damage.

Link Removed

Your genny may be perfectly OK but can you risk it ?

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

We purchased a cheap generator several years ago similar to the Aldi unit, and have now left it at home, as we only used it twice, and that was direct cable through the window so the wife could use her hairdryer, which I will add worked perfectly, as for the lights etc we never really stopped anywhere long enough for the leisure battery to go flat max 2 days and then moved on and the engine charged the batteries.

hope that helps,

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
It supports the case of the cheap gennys for MH use. Howvever, it be a brave man who connected direct to the EHU unprotected. But like you infrequent and short use seems relatively risk free.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi,

We purchased a cheap generator several years ago similar to the Aldi unit, and have now left it at home, as we only used it twice, and that was direct cable through the window so the wife could use her hairdryer, which I will add worked perfectly, as for the lights etc we never really stopped anywhere long enough for the leisure battery to go flat max 2 days and then moved on and the engine charged the batteries.

hope that helps,

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
All this talk about spikes and unstable voltage :Eeek:

Can anyone tell me what damage they have suffered as a direct result of using a cheap genny to power their motorhome??:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All this talk about spikes and unstable voltage :Eeek:

Can anyone tell me what damage they have suffered as a direct result of using a cheap genny to power their motorhome??:thumb:

A few months ago we had a nasty power cut, mains flashed off and on a few times - it killed my Schaudt charger. Others have had similar experiences so we are right to be cautious.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
A few months ago we had a nasty power cut, mains flashed off and on a few times - it killed my Schaudt charger. Others have had similar experiences so we are right to be cautious.

But no damage as a direct result of using a cheap genny then??

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
never had a prob yet useing a cheep genny and not heard of any either see them used a lot on race paddocks to power tv etc :thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
So it would seem so far that using the mains is more likley to cause a problem:Doh::Doh::Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So it would seem so far that using the mains is more likley to cause a problem:Doh::Doh::Doh:
What it does mean is that some electronics are far from robust, but that's what we are prepared to pay for.

Since most "things" are plugged into mains then most failures will be on mains.

I have read about gennies causing failures but a good while ago and the details are gone now so I did not say this until under severe cross examination.

Bottom line it's your kit how much risk are you going to take ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a cheap, unregulated genny wont do any damage to the hookup, wiring or fuse box.

but........if you have a digital/electronic control panel it COULD be damaged in the event of a power surge/spike.

same goes for anything voltage sensitive plugged into the 240v sockets including the onboard charger.

i had a cheapo 850w jobby in the garage that wouldnt behave when running power tools.....tools running slowly.

checked the output and no idea why but the only way to get 230v from it was to increase the engine speed from 3000rpm to around 5000rpm......great, 230v BUT at 85hz....not 50hz :Eeek:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If you have a Schaudt EBL or I suppose any control panel that you want to protect from mains problems, I would advise buying one of their OV-1 voltage protectors. They also have an extra output that you could use for sensitive equipment that you also wish to protect.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Sorry to double post, but I think this thread should be renamed to 'Cheap and Nasty' as I don't know anything cheerfol about a 75db 2 stroke genny.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
cheap cheerful and last chance backup system use with a 240V proper battery charger and only to recharge in an emergancy situation, failing that just call out your recovery service and save the weight.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
So it would seem no-one has had a single issue using a cheap and cheerful genny with their motorhome then??:winky:

All the doom and gloom merchants sit up and take notice :Eeek:

Yes it COULD happen and yes if the circumstances are just right you MIGHT damage something, MAYBE.:Doh:

Personally ive been using cheap genny for years for both work and play. Ive ran all sorts off them from TVs to laptops to power tools and everything in between. Never, NOT ONCE in all that time have i ever had a problem even when the things run out of fuel and all the rough running and coughing and farting they do just before they die has there ever been a problem.:thumb:

The choice is yours but the simple fact is not a single person reading this has ever personally had a problem with damage caused by a cheapo genny.:Blush:

The noise is another issue however:cry:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have seen several Schaudt Elektroblock units with charger circuits destroyed either by mains voltage spikes or cheap gennys. if you have a Schaudt Elektroblock fitted then I strongly advise you fit an OVP 01, not just because we now have them in stock but because if yours fails you will not be able to charge your leisure batteries properly without an external charger and IT WILL cost you several hundred pounds and at least a couple of weeks loss of use of your motorhome to send your EBL to Germany for repairs, maybe even £600 plus for a new EBL unit!

You have been warned:Eeek:.

D.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Dave

Thanks for the comments, do you think expensive gennys could be added to your list also,

I have seen several Schaudt Elektroblock units with charger circuits destroyed either by mains voltage spikes or cheap gennys. if you have a Schaudt Elektroblock fitted then I strongly advise you fit an OVP 01, not just because we now have them in stock but because if yours fails you will not be able to charge your leisure batteries properly without an external charger and IT WILL cost you several hundred pounds and at least a couple of weeks loss of use of your motorhome to send your EBL to Germany for repairs, maybe even £600 plus for a new EBL unit!

D.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

D.

I have had my EBL charger replaced by Schaudt, they charge on average 150 Euros and they can get them back to you in a week. I do not use a cheap and nasty genny but my EBL still packed up. Schaudt did a great service and had me up and running with a new charger and I also bought an OVP-O1 from them.

So my point is that the EBL chargers are easily damaged even in normal use so put a cheapo nasty generator on one and watch it blow.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

What does the OVP-O1 do, I assume it protects the unit from all power sources, e.g. Cheap Genny, Expensive Genny, and the mains or is it selective in protection it provides.

I have had my EBL charger replaced by Schaudt, they charge on average 150 Euros and they can get them back to you in a week. I do not use a cheap and nasty genny but my EBL still packed up. Schaudt did a great service and had me up and running with a new charger and I also bought an OVP-O1 from them.

So my point is that the EBL chargers are easily damaged even in normal use so put a cheapo nasty generator on one and watch it blow.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best dump all your fancy control panels .if they can be spoilt by mains and generators. use a fuse box electric in .either mains or genny .if you want to charge batteries get a charger. forget all the expensive crap. been longterm travelling for years never needed complicated expensive bits. think simple .use bits available in most electrical shops or even hyper markets. save your money.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
OVP 01 protects the charger element against over voltage spikes. Without the OVP 01 unit the charger circuit of a ELB can be ruined in a split second by a high voltage spike, such as might be caused by several campers switching off their kettles at close to the same time. Yes Schaudt are very good at repairing the EBL unit but we've just had to wait fourteen days to get a customers unit fixed, we got it back two days before he was due to sail for Europe mainland.

D.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The OVP-01 protects from overvoltage and low voltage and cuts the supply before your charger is damaged

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
I am concerned that such is the cheap and cheerfulness of the genny, the ac genny will spike and knacker my ehu and connected appliances.

hi.
i bought a genny off e-bay ,brand new.
first time i hooked it up ,it melted the live wire in the mains hook up,:cry:
not used it since , its in the garage , but i have now a secondhand honda that comes out for 15 mins to dry the ladys hair.
it cost me £30 for a new 230v inlet hookup to fit my m/h from germany, it could have been a lot worse?.
i have learned by my not to costly mistake , i hope this helps.
mr bean:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years

hi.
i bought a genny off e-bay ,brand new.
first time i hooked it up ,it melted the live wire in the mains hook up,:cry:
not used it since , its in the garage , but i have now a secondhand honda that comes out for 15 mins to dry the ladys hair.
it cost me £30 for a new 230v inlet hookup to fit my m/h from germany, it could have been a lot worse?.
i have learned by my not to costly mistake , i hope this helps.
mr bean:thumb:

£30 for a bit of cable and a plug from Germany, both of which are available from any electrical shop......you were robbed:Eeek:

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
£30 for a bit of cable and a plug from Germany, both of which are available from any electrical shop......you were robbed:Eeek:

correct , i could have bought a inlet socket , but not the size to fit the german hole? it would or i could have made a mess with the jig saw cutting through the aluminium & the timber frame , one silly slip & i would have caused a lot of damage , so i did not want to risk it for another £20 extra for the right fitting one , the ones on sale in england & dealers would not fit in the 3mm smaller square hole & compared to the british ones it looks & feels better quality wise & the colour is right , i was ripped off when i started up the new gennie ?:thumb:.
mr bean

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back