dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
has anyone had or know of any experiences using this to transport a powerchair?
http://www.easylifter.co.uk/Hydraulic-Mobility-Rack.htm

i appreciate that a trailer would be the obvious choice for most, but i'll have a problem with reversing in and out of my small, tight drive and nowhere to store the trailer when it won't be being used.
and being disabled with no strength for lugging and lifting, need the easiest way possible.

any ideas or thoughts will be very gratefully received.

my car has a hoist for lifting the chair into the car, but my van (renault trafic) has neither room for a hoist to be fitted or space inside for the chair sadly.
yes, i know, i probably have got the wrong van for my circumstances, but after two years of looking for the 'right' one for me and my finances, got this one as felt time was running out for me to have some fun exploring and enjoying the freedom, before i got too old and knackered.
i do carry a manual chair with me too which is fine if i have someone with me, or the going is easy, but that isn't always the case, and i can't rely on that as i previously thought.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Provided you have the spare axle capacity or are prepared to up rate if needed, the Easy lifter is a great bit of kit
But not the lightest to fit and remove on a regular basis given your circumstances, If you are able to leave it on for all occasions it will do the job fine:thumb:
Geo

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
Your main problem is going to be the weight on the rear axel. You need to weigh the van and the weight on each axel to find out if you have the capacity to carry the chair on the back of your van. Because of the overhang the loading will be greater than the weight of the chair and lift.

Derek

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dryad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
thanks for that geo and derek..:thumb:
once the lifter is fitted on, shall leave it there, as that seems easiest..

erm..the rear axle thing..??
where do i take the van to find this out?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your front and rear axle weight limits are on the weight plate affixed to your van
you need to load up for normal use and then go to a public weigh bridge and get them to weigh you in
1.Total weight
2.front axle only weight
3.Rear axle only weight
as stated above if you then find you have enough spare on your rear axle to carry the lift and the chair then go ahead:thumb:
if not you have choices of either forgetting the idea or finding lighter options,
you could of course re distribute your weight from the rear to the front to gain the spare capacity needed
as also stated hanging 100 kilo from the back end adds more tan 100 kilo because of the "fulcrum" effect I do have a formula to work it out if needed
ther is alway the option as used by many
Just bolt it on and see what it looks like
Geo

OP
OP
dryad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
okay..
i know i'm being totally dense, but where do i find the weight plate?

am having a towbar fitted next week, and have found an easy lifter for sale through e-bay and going to see it next weekend, and hopefully the chap will pop it on for me, (if of course i decide to buy it), but won't have the powerchair with me to see how it looks though...

and presumably, i'll have to also inform my insurance that i've had a 'modification' fitted..

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Your front and rear axle weight limits are on the weight plate affixed to your van
you need to load up for normal use and then go to a public weigh bridge and get them to weigh you in
1.Total weight
2.front axle only weight
3.Rear axle only weight
as stated above if you then find you have enough spare on your rear axle to carry the lift and the chair then go ahead:thumb:
if not you have choices of either forgetting the idea or finding lighter options,
you could of course re distribute your weight from the rear to the front to gain the spare capacity needed
as also stated hanging 100 kilo from the back end adds more tan 100 kilo because of the "fulcrum" effect I do have a formula to work it out if needed
ther is alway the option as used by many
Just bolt it on and see what it looks like
Geo

Isnt that the universal standard test anyway?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Does look like a good bit of kit though and not silly expensive either. And you can take it with you when you change vehicles which has got to be good!!:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Easylifter may bring out a unit with the extra wheel

Provided you have the spare axle capacity or are prepared to up rate if needed, the Easy lifter is a great bit of kit
But not the lightest to fit and remove on a regular basis given your circumstances, If you are able to leave it on for all occasions it will do the job fine:thumb:
Geo
I considered using an easy lifter on our American RV but I was concerned about the weight on the back axle. I already have air assisted suspension (Fitted an Airide system I had flown in from the USA) but I still went for a special disabled trailer to carry either my power chair 220kgs or my buggies. I contacted the company a couple of time and after seeing the new motorbike rig that has an wheel attached to take part of the weight I wanted to know if this was going to become available soon for a wheelchair plateform. I was told it is in the pipeline. That would help with the problem. If you check there site and look at the last item showing the motorbike with the wheel under it you will get an idea what I mean.

In an American motor Home we have a plate showing all the info. I am sure a European or UK will have that info on bit of paper supplied with the motor home. :winky:

OP
OP
dryad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
well i didn't go for the easy lifter in the end, was hoping that the chap who makes them was going to put some wheels underneath for added support as he has done with his hydra trail for m/cycles, but he hasn't seemed to have done so yet..
so i found this below, am thinking about it but, would be good to hear what other peoples opinions or maybe even experience's are..

at the moment i've been managing with a small take apart scooter but even that is too heavy for me to lift in and out of the van on my own, and of course it takes up valuable space inside the van too and gets underfoot, but i have found that a smile can work wonders, although i'd much rather be fully independant as some places there's no-one around to ask for help and it does make you feel kind of vunerable..:Sad:

the ezetow..[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqo8y9m3y4o[/ame]

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the ezetow seems the perfect answer if the price is right. and one I have been thinking of for a while as it would fold up out of the way when not in use.

OP
OP
dryad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
don't imagine the thing is cheap to be honest, but then what mobility stuff is..:Sad:

a lot of it is so overpriced because they know they've got you by the short and curlies, (excuse the expression)..

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
is it a scooter or a power chair?

Is it a scooter you are taking or is it a real power chair?

While a class III scooter is about the same weight as a scooter the balance is different. As with the easy lifter they are designed for the frame of the power scooter to rest on the middle hump part of the ramp and then secured.. if it is a power chair then you have a different set up and the hump would not allow a power chair to straddle the hump part...

Also a scooter has a different climb (ability) compared to a power chair that normally has a curb climber fitted and anti tip wheels.

I have to use a fair bit of well to get my power chair to climb up the ramps of my trailer (made by Chris Elliott) .. which is still for sale.. has a lot of extras added like a second marine ply floor and up rated lights with new tyres.... a bargain at half the price of a new one... the extras costs as much as the basic trailer. ..These can be stored on there side.

But going back to power chairs, you do need to be careful with the weight on the back axle, they are normally a good 200kgs . many tow bars are not rated for the weight.

p.m. if you need more advice.

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
just want to reinforce the weight issue

I just want to reinforce the weight issue of a power chair over a scooter..often much heavier and due to the design needs to be secured by the correct retaining gear that is used on a trailer and cannot be used on an easy lifter. the tie down points on a power chair on the main short chassis are designed to pull from the corners to anchor points to stop a possible tip over.

Power chairs have a lot of weight in a short wheelbase and need a longer ramp area to load... as they do not have the same gearing read speed as a scooter they either need to be winched or driven on using extended ramps. (I have a spare set if anyone is interested) but if you go for the type of trailer unit the motorbike is on then you will need seriously long ramps and the risk of front wheels spinning round on reversing down and you may find the chair will came off the ramps sideways.. serious issue. p.m. anyone that needs more info.

Bob

OP
OP
dryad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
Is it a scooter you are taking or is it a real power chair?

While a class III scooter is about the same weight as a scooter the balance is different. As with the easy lifter they are designed for the frame of the power scooter to rest on the middle hump part of the ramp and then secured.. if it is a power chair then you have a different set up and the hump would not allow a power chair to straddle the hump part...

Also a scooter has a different climb (ability) compared to a power chair that normally has a curb climber fitted and anti tip wheels.

I have to use a fair bit of well to get my power chair to climb up the ramps of my trailer (made by Chris Elliott) .. which is still for sale.. has a lot of extras added like a second marine ply floor and up rated lights with new tyres.... a bargain at half the price of a new one... the extras costs as much as the basic trailer. ..These can be stored on there side.

But going back to power chairs, you do need to be careful with the weight on the back axle, they are normally a good 200kgs . many tow bars are not rated for the weight.

p.m. if you need more advice.

Bob

thanks for the reply bob..
it's a powerchair, weighs just under 90 kgs with batteries i believe.
there's no room inside for it, unless i take the dual front passenger seats out, and then it would need a heck of a long ramp to get it inside, and i'm not able to lift the ramps..(even the lightweight ones are too heavy, believe me i've tried)

so far, that ezetow looks useful.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ezetow discussed on another thread with some (useful ?) comments ..

Broken Link Removed

more results here

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
dryad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
I just want to reinforce the weight issue of a power chair over a scooter..often much heavier and due to the design needs to be secured by the correct retaining gear that is used on a trailer and cannot be used on an easy lifter. the tie down points on a power chair on the main short chassis are designed to pull from the corners to anchor points to stop a possible tip over.

Power chairs have a lot of weight in a short wheelbase and need a longer ramp area to load... as they do not have the same gearing read speed as a scooter they either need to be winched or driven on using extended ramps. (I have a spare set if anyone is interested) but if you go for the type of trailer unit the motorbike is on then you will need seriously long ramps and the risk of front wheels spinning round on reversing down and you may find the chair will came off the ramps sideways.. serious issue. p.m. anyone that needs more info.

Bob

the more that i look at the easylifter option, the more vulnerable the powerchair looks..:Eeek: but then that was always my concern which is why i didn't go for it in the end..plus i would have had to get someone to fabricate some kind of 'shell' around it to secure it and lash a tarp or whatever..
it's a pain in the butt this hip, knee, heart, lung not walking business isn't it, still better than the alternative i guess..:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I know the issues to well

the more that i look at the easylifter option, the more vulnerable the powerchair looks..:Eeek: but then that was always my concern which is why i didn't go for it in the end..plus i would have had to get someone to fabricate some kind of 'shell' around it to secure it and lash a tarp or whatever..
it's a pain in the butt this hip, knee, heart, lung not walking business isn't it, still better than the alternative i guess..:Smile:

I know the issues to well.

While I have a power scooter class III and my wife has a class l we faced the issue of carrying them plus my normal wheelchair for use around the RV on a site. Limited battery ranges created an added issue when no EHU was present, however our RV does have a big inbuilt generator to charge the scooters. I investigated a possible way to transport the lot and settled on a Chris Elliot trailer with a swivel deck. I used that for about 18 months (still for sale) until we decided to do it another way... we now pull a 20' Brian James 4 wheel trailer and transport out Hyundai car on the trailer with the scooters in the car and the wheelchair on a bumper tow hitch carrier. We are lucky our Winnebago has bags of power and it falls within the weight limits when fully loaded. This was a better step for us as that allows us the best of both worlds.. use the scooters with the dog local and a form of transport to get to the shops or out and about further from the site.

But we have investigated all the options over the past 3 years. So if anyone wants an uprated Chris Elliot scooter / power chair trailer along with the securing racks and securing equipment .. with reinforced marine ply deck and up rated extra lights in light guards with 3 new tyres then it is for sale.. just p.m. .. these cost just over £1,000 new and I have put £800 extras on it... looking for £500 in excellent condition and ready to roll.. new tyres done no more than 20 miles.. taken it to South of France twice.. very light weight on the jockey wheel.

Bob

OP
OP
dryad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
looks like you're both well sorted then bob..:thumb:
i know the type of trailer you mean, but limitations at home mean i have nowhere to store one when it's not in use, which is why i'd prefer to have something 'fixed' to the van..
have read the threads that you gave on both the easilifter and the ezetow, been trying to ring the guy but no answer as yet..
guess i'll just have to muddle along as i am for the moment and rely on a smile for help, unless i can find someone to make me something suitable or a winning lottery ticket flutters my way..but shan't be holding my breath.:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
while I have no knowledge of the products

looks like you're both well sorted then bob..:thumb:
i know the type of trailer you mean, but limitations at home mean i have nowhere to store one when it's not in use, which is why i'd prefer to have something 'fixed' to the van..
have read the threads that you gave on both the easilifter and the ezetow, been trying to ring the guy but no answer as yet..
guess i'll just have to muddle along as i am for the moment and rely on a smile for help, unless i can find someone to make me something suitable or a winning lottery ticket flutters my way..but shan't be holding my breath.:Smile:

While I have no knowledge of the two products.. I did contact him a couple years back to find out if he was going to do a platform that had the wheel under it.. he said he was, but never seen it advertised and then there was the issue of getting a scooter or buggy or power chair up high enough.

American RV's have a hefty chassis and there are platforms available.. I think Steve Dunn a dealer has one n stock.. was around £275 if I remember.. but it fits the American Reece tow units that most RV's have fitted as standard. These are platforms that have lights on them and a lip and large ramps.. but it is the chassis issue I would be worried about as a let of stress is put on the back axle if you add 250kgs to the back end.

Need to take some advice on that.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back