Rare Spares Handbrake Extender (1 Viewer)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I know quite a few Funsters have these-hope this is of help :Smile:
When I bought mine,I fitted it on the coldest day of the year and managed to overtighten the bolts so that one side of the casing split :cry:

When I got the new piece (£10) I was very carefull not to overtighten it !! so much so,that after a couple of months I noticed more 'play' in the lever and found that the bolts had loosened. I have now retightened them using Threadlock -hopefully that's it sorted.::bigsmile:

Mike.

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
I have one of these and although very well made, it can, as others have mentioned previously be 'knocked off' accidentally. I am always very careful exiting the cab if I haven't folded the lever.......... this is leading up to M.O.T. testing with this lever fitted. Has anyone with a Rarespares entered their 'van for an M.O.T. with it fitted and if so were there any comments from the tester?

Reading the MOT testers manual here:--

Link Removed

it appears to me that there *may* be an area of possible failure relating to "a locking or retaining device is insecure or missing."

and also. possibly, " when knocked, the lever is not held in the "on" position " the latter after testing by knocking "the top and each side of the lever and check that the lever stays in the "on" position".

perhaps George, our resident MOT man, would be able to comment ....

Harvey

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Mine was tested year before last with the extender in place (and its action was explained to the tester in advance). No issues arose - though, in common with many Sevel vans with 'Drum in Hat' parking brakes, the brake efficency was marginal.

This year, to avoid any potential issues, I carefully serviced the parking brake mechanism before the test, and temporarily removed the extender (since it is easier to apply the brake hard without it, especially if you haven't learnt the required action). Sailed through with the whole system locking this time.

When I re-installed the extender (wouldn't be without it in general use), I managed to do exactly what the original poster did, and overtightened - I probably got the other side of the moulding as a replacement from Rare Spares. :Cool:

I don't experience any issues with exiting the vehicle, as my A class does not have a drivers side door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
I know quite a few Funsters have these-hope this is of help :Smile:
When I bought mine,I fitted it on the coldest day of the year and managed to overtighten the bolts so that one side of the casing split :cry:

When I got the new piece (£10) I was very carefull not to overtighten it !! so much so,that after a couple of months I noticed more 'play' in the lever and found that the bolts had loosened. I have now retightened them using Threadlock -hopefully that's it sorted.::bigsmile:

Mike.

where did you get yours for £10 the ones i saw at peterborough show was £40

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
where did you get yours for £10 the ones i saw at peterborough show was £40

I read it that Mike & Carolyn paid £10 for a replacement part. not for the whole thing!

I saw some handbrake extenders for sale at Peterborough but they weren't the 'Rarespares' ones, they were the 'others' which are cheaper, but don't fold down.

I think that removing the extender for the MOT may be a good idea anyway because the grease will be easier to clean off the original lever.:roflmto:

My son is an MOT tester, perhaps I'll ask him .......

Harvey

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just to clarify
Each and every parking brake lever/mechanism and design is judged on its own merits
The fitting of an extender in its self, is not a reason for rejection,
However dont blame the tester if it breaks trying to achive maximun effort, to get you a pass:Doh:
As stated above in another post a correctly serviced and set parking brake should lock with minimal effort on the lever, getting underneath and taking the slack out of the cable is NOT adjusting or improving your brakes, as many think it does:RollEyes:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
getting underneath and taking the slack out of the cable is NOT adjusting or improving your brakes, as many think it is

....and as I found out many years ago, can have a serious impact on the/any self adjusting properties!

To explain, fitting a new hand break cable to my first car with self adjusting (drum) brakes and set it up so all worked well only to find the while the hand brake worked the foot brake went to the floor and didn't stop the car, fortunatly I test carfully any thing, unlike a mate who once shot of after brake work and ended up testing them against a wall:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back