Europe vehicle insurance after Brexit - NOT a Brexit thread (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I believe we are all covered throughout the EU by mandatory vehicle insurance (Third Party) where ever we register and insure our MH in the EU.

If and when we leave the EU will we still retain this critical legal cover or will the insurance industry create brand new vehicle insurance policies for us all to enjoy?

Hope someone from the MH insurance business reads these forums and can point us to where we may be going with this.

Thanks

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
If they are can see a loophole that will allow them to increase their profit margin no doubt many companies will exploit it. Such is they way of the market unless it is legislated against.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Much over charging a ripoffs on the way.
It will be called the European surcharge
Bill

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
can only imagine it will go back to how it used to be in the 60,s .
you told your insurer and some let you have cover , free or with a charge ,
or you bought border insurance at the border .
of course years ago every country had a border but the eu is now sort of one country so we will say have to buy at the french /spanish ports etc or possible other ports .
probably it will be a max of 90 days depending on how or if the exit turns out .
wont be difficult though . its the same in just about every country in the world .

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
The green card scheme originates from a UN recommendation and was not therefore founded by the European Union.

Pete

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
The green card scheme originates from a UN recommendation and was not therefore founded by the European Union.

Pete
yes in some cases you get insurance for just about all the countries around the med. and a few others .
not that the med is really important . but our green cards seem to be based around it .
certainly other countries in the eu get alot more cover than uk. sometimes .
i think its like every thing we shall have to wait and see. many things arent equal at the moment .
there really isnt a standard fixed for any countries really.
many uk insurers will tell you they dont have to give minimum cover for us in eu by law.
mind some eu countries dont have your address on your driving licences either .
its all a daft game really.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Well - I’ve just renewed my policy with Safeguard and my cover is as last year - no mention of Doomsday next March and to be honest I foregot to ask - however we have this transitional 21 month period still I believe after Doomsday! :)

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Well - I’ve just renewed my policy with Safeguard and my cover is as last year - no mention of Doomsday next March and to be honest I foregot to ask - however we have this transitional 21 month period still I believe after Doomsday! :)
Doomed we are doomed :D2

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no. might be a much better place when you cant just disappear abroad.
the uk tourist boards will have to play a much sensible r way than they do now.
mind i have heard there is already training for highwaymen here in cornwall.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
of course years ago every country had a border but the eu is now sort of one country
Unfortunately all the countries making up the one big country aren't equal.
Some put a lot in and get nowt out (us), others put nowt in and get a lot out (Greece, Spain)

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
It's one of the EU legislations being written into British law. It's why the UK signed up for SI 2017/554. It means that UK driver details are now on a mainland European database. It's 12 months tomorrow 6/05/17 since we signed.

Most, if not all UK comprehensive vehicle insurance gives you the same level of cover even in a few countries not in the EU.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't worry about Europe, worry about Scotlandshire! When the fishy twins get independence Hadrians wall will be back complete with machine gun towers. ;)
:LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back