Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
You can use either with a Smart. If you want to be 100% legal with no comeback ever, use a trailer but if you want convenience and no storage problems but may have problems in the future (oh yes and never want to go to Spain!!!) use an A Frame :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont be put off with spain . its quite legal for you to tow an a framed car inspain . the traffic police have been told by their interior minister all about it ,momo gave us a copy two years ago it was called the 08/v-74 document and it covers the use of aframes by visitors to spain. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Hi meggie,
We also have just bought a Smart. For us, the long rear overhang of our MH and my desire to keep the towed weight as low as possible, meant that, for us, an A frame was a better option than a trailer. (MH is not exactly fast at the best of times!) :cry:
I have looked at the various A frame options currently on offer and have concluded that only two manufacturers have a system which I consider to be technically sound, with particular regard to the braking system used. :RollEyes:
However, both systems cost in excess of £1500 fitted and we are now wondering whether having an A frame fitted to the Smart will ever be cost effective in our case. We have no plans at present to use the MH outwith the UK and have calculated that £1500+ would allow one of us to drive the Smart to our destination whilst the other drives the MH for about 20,000 miles. Given that we would not take the car on some trips, 20,000 miles amounts to a fair number of years of touring. :Eeek::Eeek:
I realise that this may not be acceptable or attractive to many people and that we all have differing needs and priorities but it seems to us that the purchase of an A frame is difficult to justify in these circumstances.
Incidentally, I wonder how big a profit margin there is on the electronics etc which are fitted to the car. A recovery A frame (which is mechanically more complex) costs less than £200 so the braking system and fitting accounts for about £1300 - must be quite something! :winky::winky::winky:

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
we tow our smart car on an A frame (only in the uk so far) and find it great , dont even no its on the back , then when we are home we use smart to run around in , :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
dont be put off with spain . its quite legal for you to tow an a framed car inspain . the traffic police have been told by their interior minister all about it ,momo gave us a copy two years ago it was called the 08/v-74 document and it covers the use of aframes by visitors to spain. cheers alan.

Hi Alan

you probably missed this thread while you were away sunning yourself.. :roflmto:

Read it to the end, especially the post near the end by seanoo with the new instructions issued to the Spanish police

Link Removed

I personally wouldn't take an A framed toad to Spain..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in answer to scotjims last message . it refers to a suspended towed fun car .so the regs would be the same as here restricted speed recovery .we have rules for suspended tows here.
because an a frame on a vehicle changes it to a trailer as defined by dft, it complies to the eu rule of legal in your own country must be legal in other eu states.
sometimes we have to read it very slowly and it says in the begining that the funcar in question only had its back wheels on the ground.
spanish police were i,m sure trying it on they do it all the time. argueargue argue or you lose. same in this country trafficpolice and authority get it wrong very often. sometimes we have to stand and be counted .
can i get off my soap box now?ha ha.best not visit spain at all portugal is much nicer to the motorhome . free parking all over the place peace and tranquility ever where ask doug he knows. cheers alan.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
in answer to scotjims last message . it refers to a suspended towed fun car

cheers alan.

Have another look Alan ..
The pictures clearly show a car with all wheels on the road with an A frame .. not a tow dolly

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i did but i would still argue. glad i dont take a toad
cant see if its got brakes fitted .could be worth a letter to the spanish interiour minister .
as a matter of interest my truck is registered as a tractor and is allowed to tow two unladen trailers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back