signal strength ? (1 Viewer)

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
i am at home trying to set up a sat system for the first time. i have a konig dish connected to a sky panasonic digibox and alba tv via scart lead . i have pointed the dish in the same direction as the neighbours and got the system set up page on the screen , both the signal strength and signal quality bars are showing about 75% the screen just says "no signal is being received ". do i need to have 100% strengh for it to work ? also at this stage do i have to have a current viewing card inserted as the one i have in it at the moment expired some time ago . if i can get everything working ok then i will get a basic card from sky ithink i read on here they are about £20 or so . i would be very gratefull for any avice on subject .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
75% is good enough but,only if your on the right satelite, me thinks yourpicking up on astra 1 and sky dont broadcast on that:Doh:
You only need a new card for ITV and 5 it will bring in all the others with your old card
Dont forget while you are skewing about there is about a 2 second delay in the signal showing on your screen so when it pops up ypu have just past where it came from:cry:
Other free sat boxes are almost instant by comparison
Geo

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
Sounds like you have the wrong satelite. ie Astra 1 at 19.1 insteas of Astra 2 at 28.5

Derek

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
signal strength

thanks for your help guys , ive moved the dish around as suggested and now upto 90% signal but still not picking up any pictures ,other than point the dish in the same direction as other sky users is there anything else i can try to locate the right sat ? cheers .

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
What is your current location? We could then give you the correct compass bearing and elevation. Or you could buy a Sat Meter, not very expensive, for fine tuning if necessary.

Phil.

OP
OP
H

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
signal strength

thanks phil i meant to give my location in original post , its warrington cheshire . cheers .

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Happytraveller....Geo is right I think you are on the wrong satelite as they are very close......this is what you should have showing when you get the 75% bars up

lock indicator OK

Network ID 0002

transport Stream 07d4

if you have something like 13 or 14 in the id transport stream rotate your dish more eastwards....but only a fraction.........keep going backwards and forwards with dish very slowly as you can miss it ,you may need to alter the dish a fraction so it is tilting more straight than you are now but it is only a fraction and a sat meter will always help you and you need it in the future, using meter and the set-up bands you will always pin point the satelite unless you are in spain or portugal then you will need a bigger dish ..it is there you just need to find the correct sat

Mel:thumb:

OP
OP
H

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
signal strength

thanks for that info mel , the lock indicator reads ok but the network id and travel cstream both read 0000 and never change no matter where i move the dish to . cheers .

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Happytraveller....Geo is right I think you are on the wrong satelite as they are very close......this is what you should have showing when you get the 75% bars up

lock indicator OK

Network ID 0002

transport Stream 07d4

if you have something like 13 or 14 in the id transport stream rotate your dish more eastwards....but only a fraction.........keep going backwards and forwards with dish very slowly as you can miss it ,you may need to alter the dish a fraction so it is tilting more straight than you are now but it is only a fraction and a sat meter will always help you and you need it in the future, using meter and the set-up bands you will always pin point the satelite unless you are in spain or portugal then you will need a bigger dish ..it is there you just need to find the correct sat

Mel:thumb:

happytraveler...when you get the bands up 75% or above what is the Network ID....and Transport Stream...
Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
thanks for that info mel , the lock indicator reads ok but the network id and travel cstream both read 0000 and never change no matter where i move the dish to . cheers .

right you are on the wrong sat........yes they will change.......go back to your remote and press your sky button on the top...then press services....then press no 4...then press no 6...its as if you have been timed out.....

Mel

after a while if you have not found the sat go thro the same procedure again and reset the bands set up as above
Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
they both read 0000 and have never altered . cheers

The correct Sat is there just keep going from east to south and back but very very slowly as you can miss it......that is why you need a meter...(not a bleeper) always set the meter reading halfway on the scale with noise level medium then as you get close to the sat (any sat) the meter increases in noise level and meter starts to move to full.....at this point you may start to see some grey bands showing ( you need two grey bands)just a slight movement and they will disappear so you go backwards and forwards till they come back ...also when you have the grey bands showing you can tilt the dish a fraction up or down to increase the signal or decrease to get the best % on the grey bands, so do it very slowly and only fractions at a time... when you have got the best position and the grey bands at there best % anything above 50% will get you a picture fasten the dish when you have info below showing ...you may hear music just press the sky button to go back to main screen......All this should work even with no card in you will get bbc1 and some other channels

lock indicator OK

Network ID 0002

transport Stream 07d4

Mel :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If the 0000 will not disappear turn every thing off on the receiver and unplug from the mains,.....leave a few minutes and turn back on.......

also if you get a meter before coupling the meter in always turn your receiver OFF and turn back on when connected.....then turn your receiver OFF to un couple again when removing the sat meter...
there is a small voltage going thro the dish cable from the receiver and can damage your receiver if not switched off when fitting and removing.

Mel

OP
OP
H

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
signal strength

thanks again mel i have tried switching off as suggested but 0000 remains ,irrespective of dish position ! iam wondering if there could be a fault somewhere in the system . i will get myself a sat meter and try again. just one last question though should the 0000 alter while i am moving the dish around or will it only alter to the settings you gave when its finally locked onto the sky sat ? cheers .

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
If you have a good compass you should point the LNB arm to 144 degrees and set the elevation to about 23 degrees. There should be a scale on the side of the dish support which gives the elevation angle. It is very important that your support pole is vertical.

Once you are locked on and have a good signal you can try setting the skew to about 14 degrees clockwise for best quality.

After each little adjustment you should always wait at least 30 seconds for the digibox to process the information it receives.

Phil

dpick

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
Middlesbrough
Funster No
Hi if people around have sky is it possible to ask if you could try your receiver on their system to rule out any problem with receiver.

dpick

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
This may be a silly question but once you have set it up using a signal meter, you are switching the meter off are you not. It certainly makes a differance to mine.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
thanks again mel i have tried switching off as suggested but 0000 remains ,irrespective of dish position ! iam wondering if there could be a fault somewhere in the system . i will get myself a sat meter and try again. just one last question though should the 0000 alter while i am moving the dish around or will it only alter to the settings you gave when its finally locked onto the sky sat ? cheers .

happytraveller.....when moving the dish it will say nothing untill you get close to the sat then the settings for that sat will appear...I have seen three set of settings....the one I told you to set up to, and the 0000, and a another one which is the strongest signal and that always comes up first so when I get that I know I am close so I turn my dish towards east but is very tiny ammount..and wind the dish down a little..is yours set up on your motorhome where you turn it around and wind up and down...by hand...like mine.....

OP
OP
H

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
signal strength

as i intend to use it as a stand alone type on a tripod set up alongside my campervan i have had it at the front of the house in line with all the other sky dishes on the neighbouring houses.

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The difference between Astras 1and 2 is about 1 cm. So the dish still needs to be pointed in the direction of your neighbours but turn it to the east about a cm, lower the elevation very slightly by about 2 degrees and you will be there. Dont forget that there is an inbuilt delay on a Skybox; its so much easier with a free to air box with an inbuilt sat finder as there is no delay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back