Taking a sorned bike to Europe ? (1 Viewer)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
To export it there or use it on the road there?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think this is a fishing trip :reel:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Difficult to carry rods safely on a sorned bike ?

You can take a sorned bike anywhere but on the UK roads

....................However !

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
From the Gov website: 'Your vehicle must stay in the UK for your SORN to be valid. Find out what you need to do if you’re taking a vehicle out of the UK.'
Not sure how they police it, but them's the rules.
Cheers
Ed
I was just looking for this link and you posted it. Not worth the risk is it

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Not sure why you'd want to but I'm sure it'd be easy enough to do.
That does not mean it wouldn't be breaking any rules (which I guess is the question).
You'd need insurance to ride it on a public road and I don't think you could get that.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
No expert on this at all but I assume you can't have MOT, road tax or Insurance on such a bike ? So surely that means it can't be used on ANY public roads no matter what the country.

A friend here has an old Honda race bike that he rides only at race circuits around Europe whilst on vacations, he takes it on a trailer there. He has insurance but i think that's more for himself and perhaps 3rd party liability.

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
@bigtree Now you have the answers , what you gonna do ? :)
I will be getting road tax tomorrow, I’m sure there are plenty people that don’t have road tax in the expat community but I will be legal. Just thought I would have a wee fishing expedition. :reel: :rofl:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have, by accident, taken a bike ( Honda Blackbird )that is sorn'd out of the country on a round trip of Europe inc France, Austria , Germany, Italy, Hungary and Croatia.I had it on a trailer on the back of the motorhome...Used it in every country too !

I thought I had taxed it before we left but had taxed one of the other Blackbirds instead
clear.png
:Eeek:
Never stopped, never checked..... Plod are too busy nowadays to check such things... Especially when they ( like most of us ) consider the rules the DVLA and DVSA make up are bloody stupid and pointless!!

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
No expert on this at all but I assume you can't have MOT, road tax or Insurance on such a bike ? So surely that means it can't be used on ANY public roads no matter what the country.

A friend here has an old Honda race bike that he rides only at race circuits around Europe whilst on vacations, he takes it on a trailer there. He has insurance but i think that's more for himself and perhaps 3rd party liability.

It is MOT’d and insured plus it has just had a new back tyre fitted that I will scrub in somewhere warmer than here next week. (y)

John Coulson

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
30 years
To be used abroad it needs to fully comply with UK law so MOT, tax and insurance.
Insurance will not pay out if these conditions are not met.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Think, exporting any sorned vehicle even temporarily is illegal ?
Cheers
Ed

From the Gov website: 'Your vehicle must stay in the UK for your SORN to be valid. Find out what you need to do if you’re taking a vehicle out of the UK.'
Not sure how they police it, but them's the rules.
Cheers
Ed

Bit of a discrepancy there.

It's not illegal to take abroad but SORN is not valid outside the UK which simply means it isn't taxed.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I will be getting road tax tomorrow, I’m sure there are plenty people that don’t have road tax in the expat community but I will be legal. Just thought I would have a wee fishing expedition. :reel: :rofl:
I am afraid not just in the expat community. I have seen many UK registered motorhomes in Portugal on a Sorn.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I am afraid not just in the expat community. I have seen many UK registered motorhomes in Portugal on a Sorn.
And they pulled quite a number of them this winter in Benidorm, a friend of ours was up at the compound and couldn't believe the number up there including a Roller !!
We have considered Sorn for the van while it was parked up for months, however the insurance or probable lack of it was the worry so we decided against it.
Cheers
Ed

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
And they pulled quite a number of them this winter in Benidorm, a friend of ours was up at the compound and couldn't believe the number up there including a Roller !!
We have considered Sorn for the van while it was parked up for months, however the insurance or probable lack of it was the worry so we decided against it.
Cheers
Ed
Apparently from the horse's mouth so to speak :- You cross the channel, put on Sorn, cash in the road tax ( Because of course you aren't on the road in the UK !!! ) Just before catching ferry or tunnel relinquish the Sorn and re tax . Saves you money to spend on holiday it seems ! I couldn't believe it so as you can check on line and did so for a while out of curiosity and was horrified how many there were !! And strangely the hippy shabby vans were usually quite legal . It was mainly the more expensive vans !!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Whats everyone's thinking on this ? ;)
It is illegal. Sorn states " Off the road in the UK". To move it from the UK on a sorn it needs to be permanently exported.

Bit of a
discrepancy there.

It's not illegal to take abroad but SORN is not valid outside the UK which simply means it isn't taxed.

If it is sorn'd then as soon as you move it out of the UK the sorn becomes invalid & you are committing the offences of having no tax definitely,& no insurance/mot(possibly) . To be legal It has to be taxed,insured & mot'd in country of residence.

There is also another offence which escapes me at the moment of failing to declare the change from sorn to permanent export,or something similar.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Apparently from the horse's mouth so to speak :- You cross the channel, put on Sorn, cash in the road tax ( Because of course you aren't on the road in the UK !!! ) Just before catching ferry or tunnel relinquish the Sorn and re tax . Saves you money to spend on holiday it seems ! I couldn't believe it so as you can check on line and did so for a while out of curiosity and was horrified how many there were !! And strangely the hippy shabby vans were usually quite legal . It was mainly the more expensive vans !!

This is why any brit plater I see I run the plate through the gov.Uk site for tax,mot & if sorned I email the dvla. Life saving I call it.(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Yes.
& in event of an accident with any foreigner here the first thing you want to know is " is the foreigner legal ?"
I've seen spaniards get out of accidents they've caused at the expense of the not legal foreigner. Any accident with injury or death I can assure you no stone of any description to move the blame elsewhere is left unturned in court. & woe betide any as the compensation would bankrupt you.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Were on an FB page N332 and the police over here have hand held devices in contact with DVLA and if they pull you for whatever they check with them.
Lots of Brits without tax, mot, ins. As its an English page I can't tell you about other nationalities.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back