Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
How do people contain their plates, mugs, bowls?
I have decided the lump of plastic moulding that holds all the above is a waste of space, so am looking at different ways of keeping it all under control whilst moving.
Any ideas?:Eeek:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We just put a square of that grip mat stuff between them. £1 o roll in the cheapy shops. Never had a problem. :thumb:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We have recently ditched the rack that was fitted to our m/home, now use a Fiama Omnistop
with a square of the aforementioned thin rubbery non slip 'tween dishes.
Excellent, they never move and silent in transit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Pots Etc

We bought some plastic Mug / Cup holders from Olearys at Lincoln show last year and they are brilliant each one hold 2 mugs or glasses etc.
And the plates and bowls have round plastic mats between them inside a plastic frame with pin/clip holders to keep them in place.
Very hard to describe but the whole kit cost us less than £20 and no more rattles in our drawer
Try giving Oleary,s a ring they are always very helpfull. :thumb:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I have decided the lump of plastic moulding that holds all the above is a waste of space...

Mine has magical properties....it changes shape every time I close the locker door. It's the only way I can explain why I can never slot things in the same way twice in a row, and why sometimes I can't pull the plates out because they've jammed.

I've started using the grip mat stuff too. And stuck with plastic plates for the time being :Sad:

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
Yep, grip matting from Lidl, cut squares or circles of plate size, insert between plates. Sorted.
And I always gaffer tape the doors etc when on the move, just to be on the safe side.
:Smile:

Floyd's Girl

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Bracknell, Berkshire
Funster No
Exp
Many years as a caravanner, 4 months in a mhome & loving it!
We've got one of the small rubber basket/bags from ASDA - the whole set fits in nicely and doesn't make any noise when moving.

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
All plates and dishes stacked - odd slice of grip mat between sections - all held down in transit by an Omnistop.

Mugs in the plastic holder things that screw onto the side of the cupboard - slice of grip mat between!

I wish I had shares in grip mat!!! We bought a 3 roll pack for £10.99 - 1 big roll and 2 half width rolls - excellent value and lines every cupboard in the MH....and all the drawers....and goes between pans and baking trays.........you get the picture...........:Eeek:

The MH is like big marshmallow - everything cocooned in grip mat - but we have NO rattles!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
See http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/ourvan-php/van-modifications-index/useful-modificaitons/ for our pull-out custom made tray that contains:-

4 x plates
4 x side plates
4 x bowls
4 x cups
2 x beer pints
2 x wine glasses
4 x knife/fork/spoon/teaspoon
1 x frying pan
2 x saucepans & lids
1 x measuing jug

All in space that we could not otherwise use.

Just a bit of marine ply; carpet (to match van) and runners. Entire tray lifts out if needed.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Yep, grip mat for us too. Even got it sewn on Emilys trousers to keep her in place :ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I always open the door of our hire ones in trepidation - usually being hit be some projectile. I can't use grip-mat because it will just get lost. I will be sorting something this year though!

However, pots and pans are all in a little lock-tab plastic box, which keeps them secure and stops all rattles - neatly fits under the cooker too!

I am looking at doing similar with the plates too.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Vera, I know nothing about plates etc, except I eat from them and dry them, but I do hope the rattles in your drawers are now cured, it must have been embarassing at times, how about coming clean and telling us more??

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have rectangles of MDF fitted in the bottom of 2 eye level cupboards. Each has cutouts for mugs, cups & glasses so that they sit in the cutouts.

In the same cupboards on the existing shelves lengths of dowelling have been fixed to keep plates, bowls & saucers in place. I put the non slip matting, cut to shape, between the plates etc.

Don't ask me how it was done because I'm a DIY disaster so a friend & my elder son made & fitted them.

In 5 years no breakages ..... yet::bigsmile:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Not my department as I am only responsible for the cab and the exterior therefore I just tell mrs ips to stow em properly and if summat rattles I moan ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
M

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks to all, I was going down the grip mat road-got loads of it already scattered around the van-but thought I would ask.
Got to get more grip mat!!!!!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Thanks to all, I was going down the grip mat road-got loads of it already scattered around the van-but thought I would ask.
Got to get more grip mat!!!!!

I did lurch round a pound store recently in search of paperclips (you wouldn't beleive the obvious places for paperclips..... that had none!)........anyway - i found in there rolls of grip mat.

I picked up a roll of 1mx3m for £1.99 - ideal for stopping the dog catapaulting from one side of our car to the other! It even came in a multitude of colours, including cream with matched the leather.:thumb:

So check out the unlikely places!!

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Never had a problem with the fitted plate racks. However, to prevent rattling I put two plates in to one place holder, two cereal bowls in to one holder and the same with the tea plates. I have also fitted anti-slip matting which helps prevent free standing items from moving about. We use proper cups not plastic type and find that if you put some kitchen roll inside it helps prevent rattle on the move. usually have one or two items that will not go in with anything else so use several beer mats to fill the gap and these work a treat :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back