Aged early 40’s / £50,000 value, what are you paying ? (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
when I had my previous van, I was in my mid 20’s and I had no shocks whatsoever with the insurance of a 6.1m coachbuilt Bessacarr, as I remember, it was similar to the cost of insuring a typical family car. Insuring my 1.9tdi Skoda “family car” is currently in the region of £275 (there’s little value in it however) should I expect quotes of close to twice that for my Motorhome ?

I understand that insurance is very specific to each individual, and varies by vehicle and the area you live. Just wondered if there is anyone in their early to mid 40’s who can give me an example of what you pay and who you’re insured with ?

Clearly, I’ll get some more quotes, just curious

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm 45, NE located, proffesional occupation albeit retired now, with a MY17 Pilote P740GJ Sensation valued at £61,000 and our insurance premium with Comfort is about £265 (excl European breakdown cover).

All the best,

Andrew

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I’m a mere 44, paying just over £300 inc breakdown cover, that’s with Comfort.
Two ‘high risk’ cars are around £200 each for some perspective....

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I’m thirty eighteen, Cindy is, ahem, considerably older, we pay Comfort about £300 to insure us and our Burstner A class.

Don’t tell her I said that though... :cautious:

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I'm 40-32 paying £416 via A.I.B. for 2013 Autotrail Savannah(45k)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I've just got off the phone to CaravanGuard, who have insisted I have either a Tracker or Cat 1 Alarm (or 2-1 upgrade to the immobiliser) ..... as far as I'm aware the Rollerteam T-Line 590 doesn't have an alarm. I've full NCD and experience of driving LWB Ducato high-top vans (I drive one for work)

I was initially surprised at being asked for an alarm, but I suppose I'd be p*ssed if my new motorhome went missing

quotes are coming in at £400 - £500 for just me as the driver, no euro cover, but does have breakdown and legal, that's through Royal Sun Alliance

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
.......A van type and related value would help the OP;)
Does value make a difference to the cost of cover? I don’t recall ever giving Comfort a valuation to base a quote on, only mileage (6,000pa)
I honestly have no idea what it’s worth, 25-35k???
2005 A Class Hymer (as shown in my avatar)

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
you guys are a blast, really funny

this is a really great forum :)
you've helped me out a lot, so thanks very much for your time, and all the amusement :)

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I just had a check on Comforts Website, it lists about 15 different Motorhomes, mine wasn't included, so I could only choose Fiat as the base vehicle and the value, and remarkably quickly it fired out a quote of £369 ..... and was happy with the factory fitted immobiliser. Are Comfort a decent company, I think they use Aviva ?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've just got off the phone to CaravanGuard, who have insisted I have either a Tracker or Cat 1 Alarm (or 2-1 upgrade to the immobiliser) ..... as far as I'm aware the Rollerteam T-Line 590 doesn't have an alarm. I've full NCD and experience of driving LWB Ducato high-top vans (I drive one for work)

I was initially surprised at being asked for an alarm, but I suppose I'd be p*ssed if my new motorhome went missing

quotes are coming in at £400 - £500 for just me as the driver, no euro cover, but does have breakdown and legal, that's through Royal Sun Alliance

Paul, you should be aiming for a bit less than that good-mate. Try Comfort tomorrow and see what they say.

If you're young and still have use of your hips and knees then don't bother with the likes of NFU insurance etc.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Comfort are looking quite good, unless the keen price online is the bait to make you ring up.

got Euro cover, got breakdown, ok with factory security. price is the best yet at £369, and when adding the girlfriend on, who has been driving in Malaysia for years, only moved here and passed a UK test 3 years ago, adding her put exactly £0 on the quote

little bit strange, bit lax somehow, is this company good, they use Aviva by the looks of things ?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Comfort are looking quite good, unless the keen price online is the bait to make you ring up.

got Euro cover, got breakdown, ok with factory security. price is the best yet at £369, and when adding the girlfriend on, who has been driving in Malaysia for years, only moved here and passed a UK test 3 years ago, adding her put exactly £0 on the quote

little bit strange, bit lax somehow, is this company good, they use Aviva by the looks of things ?

That's a good price in that case Paul, especially when you add the other cover caveats. You will be very hard pushed to get a better deal IMO but even so I would still give them a bell in the morning.

Comfort is one of the top companies for us motorhomers(y)

Just make sure that you get the right policy that is tailored to your needs.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Comfort are up there with the best of them. I bought my MoHo new almost three years ago, it is a Frankia Platin Plus 840 and at the time the retail price was £147,000, it is currently £164,000. Fully comp with NFU without a tracker is £314.

I have a non-starter Tracker from Van-Bitz but not vbecause the insurance company did or did not want.

The value of the van has little to sway the price, it is more to do with any claims you've had plus where you live and how attractive the goods are to a thief.

Boy racers rarely steal motorhomes!

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
all sounding good ! I'll be on the phone at 08:30

I'm almost a bit excited ! .... if insurance can be exciting

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Another +1 for Comfort, been with them for years, Just renewed ar £330 for our 2015 Autosleeper Broadway.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not a youngster unfortunately but once over 40 age doesn't make much odds until you get into your 70's.
We have been with Comfort for years as well, last van was a Hymer Exsis A class insured for £62k premium was £295. Current van a Hymer B Class Dynamic Line insured for £75k renewed yesterday £385 gone up by £2 over last year, increase is less than the premium tax increase so in real terms a reduction. By comparison Safeguard wanted £600 and AIB £875.

Ian1801

Free Member
Feb 24, 2017
N lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 424
Exp
6 months
The wife and I are both 47, the old swift sundance valued at 12000 insurance was £180, our new one is a bessacarr valued at 47000 insurance is £300

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
thanks for all of the replies. I know I would probably be wise to have an alarm fitted, perhaps I will at the first service, but how many of you have been required to have an alarm (or tracker) by your insurance ?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
thanks for all of the replies. I know I would probably be wise to have an alarm fitted, perhaps I will at the first service, but how many of you have been required to have an alarm (or tracker) by your insurance ?

Most companies will want a tracker fitted when the van gets into the mid-50k Mark but alarms don't seem to be that important to most insurance Companies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back