Battery and Power Management (1 Viewer)

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We want to increase the leisure battery capacity. Its was a new van in December. The battery has only been used on EHU for one week and several weekends.

We have a Varta Hobby 90AH leisure battery and think our cheapest option is to buy another one to double the capacity. Its under a bench in the dinette so there is plenty of room but will need a new tray and clamps.

I understand about keeping battery age and capacity the same - is our battery still new enough to do this and if we do it will the charger cope?

We are also thinking about installing a battery monitor like the NASA BM 1 to monitor usage and battery status. Is this a good idea?

We want to do more wild camping and hope to run the standard van bits and pieces and TV (12v) and Sky (on small inverter) and also charge laptop intermittently. All our lights are now LEDs. In the longer term we will need to consider something like B2B charger or solar but at the moment will be relying on driving and occasional EHU.

All comments and advice welcome - thanks in anticipation! :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have a Varta Hobby 90AH leisure battery and think our cheapest option is to buy another one to double the capacity. Its under a bench in the dinette so there is plenty of room but will need a new tray and clamps.

You have a perfect plan, just do it.

I would have expected a vent from battery to outside.

We get a good 3 days out of one battery but no sky box.

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
We are also thinking about installing a battery monitor like the NASA BM 1 to monitor usage and battery status. Is this a good idea?

All comments and advice welcome - thanks in anticipation! :thumb:

Hi

We fitted the NASA BM-1 monitor and it is brilliant. Gives peace of mind as you know exactly what is going on with your leisure battery's. :thumb:

I just wish there was a suitable one for the chassis battery (they say the NASA is not suitable). :Sad:

Kevin and Tricia

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

We fitted the NASA BM-1 monitor and it is brilliant. Gives peace of mind as you know exactly what is going on with your leisure battery's. :thumb:

Kevin and Tricia

I felt like that until we got back from Carmarthen and found that my Leisure batt. would not run anything off the 350W inverter-even though the BM-1 was saying 105% charged and showing in excess of 14v. :cry:
I took the inverter back to Sterling Power and it checked out ok-M/H is now going in on Wed to be checked over-will post results on here.

Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back