Insurance for highish value without alarm etc? (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Our insurance is due on our Dethleffs, value about £60k but has no alarm/immobiliser, previously went with C&MC club as were first time motorhomers, and also wanted occasional business use, we could drop the business use, but preferably don't want to fit an alarm, any suggestions?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
A number of insurers don't seem too interested in alarms, they focus more on Cat 1 immobilisers and Cat 5 trackers. They all have differing trigger levels. The level for both of those stated appears to be around the 100K mark. The C&MC appeared to be one of the more flexible, underwritten by Axa. I have always found them to be the best price by far but that goes for absolutely nothing when discussing insurance as we all have so many variables.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We used AiB (brokers) for our insurance. The actual policy is with AXA this year. AiB give a discount for Funsters. Worth giving them a call? They have an ad at the top of the page.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Scenic don’t require an alarm or a tracker. Their premiums are quite high though. Might it not be more economical in the long run, to have an alarm fitted, though? They don’t have to cost an arm and a leg.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
for the first time ever I have a tracker on my van. An alarm serves little purpose in my opinion, people hear them and think nothing.

A tracker allows me to see where my van is to 20 ft and my insurers insisted on it. £399 for a lifetime activation and insurance insisted on it and brought it down by £75 compared to other makes. (caravan guard) in relation to business use, I use my car for business and the insurance do not load it at all so try with and without.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Caravan Guard and Comfort seem to have a £55,000 threshold for a tracker to be fitted.

Neither of them are bothered about alarms.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
U
We used AiB (brokers) for our insurance. The actual policy is with AXA this year. AiB give a discount for Funsters. Worth giving them a call? They have an ad at the top of the page.
AIB quotes appear to be very variable, qouted me 2½ times what I pay withComfo
Caravan Guard and Comfort seem to have a £55,000 threshold for a tracker to be fitted.

Neither of them are bothered about alarms.
Comfort is over £40k alarm or Tracker, £75k & over Tracker required. Insured mine for 74.5k (which is more than what it cost me but a lot lower than UK prices), to avoid a tracker and fitted my own cheap tracker.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
be careful with Trackers if it is for insurance purposes. Most insist on Cat 5 which is the highest standard available with a number of features including key theft protection which is the most annoying feature. Basically, a lot of vehicles are stolen (not MH specific) by the thief stealing the keys and then the vehicle. cat 5 has a flat disk which cannot be kept with the keys as no way of attaching. So if keys are stolen and the disk is not in the vehicle it alerts the tracking company.
Best check with each insurer to find tracker spec before you select one, or go for CAT 5 and you know you have highest standard. I paid 799GBP to have it fitted and 199GBP a year subscription. Don't want to and don't like having to but no one would insure without it.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Or give @eddievanbitz a call. I had a no start and tracker fitted, insurance company (comfort) gave a discount and I know exactly where the van is at all times. Circa £50 per year for subscription.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Comfort is over £40k alarm or Tracker, £75k & over Tracker required. Insured mine for 74.5k (which is more than what it cost me but a lot lower than UK prices), to avoid a tracker and fitted my own cheap tracker.

Lenny,

I've just this minute finished a quote with Comfort for a new van and because it exceeds the £100k threshold they have insisted upon a Cat-1 Alarm and a Cat-5 Tracker being fitted.

The lady (incredibly helpful I may add) who conducted my change in policy stipulated that no alarm (just the tracker) would be needed if the van was worth £1 less than £100k.

I'm now confused.

Cheers,

Andrew

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Can you let us know which tracker you have please Paul.

Hi Brian, mine is Global Telemetrics by Smart track. http://www.globaltelemetrics.eu/

Its a
Thatcham-Quality-Assured-CAT5.png

Thatcham Category 5 - Category 5 is the highest Thatcham Category for Vehicle Tracking. These devices must have the facility to recieve an immobilisation command from the Secure Control Centre to stop the vehicle from starting. At Police request only. Key protection is included with the end user having to carry a separate tag when driving the vehicle. If the tag is not present the customer would be called when the vehicle is being driven to confirm the safety of the vehicle.

I like this as I also have an app on my phone which alerts me to vehicle movement when I am not in the van with my phone (clever). The app allows me to track my vehicle myself as said before and that is really useful. I have no idea where the tracker is and they won't tell me....

What's important these days is how thieves work and how they move up the market when stealing things. Many vehicles when stolen will be driven somewhere and just left a week or so under cover whilst the toe rags work out if a tracker is installed or not. Once sure there isn't then they move the vehicle on, false plates etc etc.

Believe it or not it's actually extremely easy to steal a car/van nowadays, in fact probably easier than my day when a good yank of cable beneath the ignition or a good screw driver rammed in to the ignition barrel of a Mk 3 cortina, as long as you have the right equipment.

Thieves are far more technologically aware and can be away in your pride and joy in a flash if they have the right equipment... See here

www.breakerlink.com/blog/security/thieves-bypassing-modern-vehicle-security-stop/

They don't like trackers, they are a pain in the arse if they want an easy vehicle clone or strip down for spares, yes there are means to block trackers but the minute mine is activated the vehicle can be immobilized.

Now I know many will now jump on and say yeah but they can do this or do that, block the tracker etc etc and I am sure they can, but I am simply reducing the risk, not eliminating it, just reducing it.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Lenny,

I've just this minute finished a quote with Comfort for a new van and because it exceeds the £100k threshold they have insisted upon a Cat-1 Alarm and a Cat-5 Tracker being fitted.

The lady (incredibly helpful I may add) who conducted my change in policy stipulated that no alarm (just the tracker) would be needed if the van was worth £1 less than £100k.

I'm now confused.

Cheers,

Andrew
I was exactly the same tried a couple of other companies and they were the same so stuck with Comfort

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Believe it or not it's actually extremely easy to steal a car/van nowadays, in fact probably easier than my day when a good yank of cable beneath the ignition or a good screw driver rammed in to the ignition barrel of a Mk 3 cortina, as long as you have the right equipment.
My Record with adjudication was in and started in under 20 seconds!

I couldn't hotwire a Merc or a Fiat nowadays

No one has had a motorhome stolen with a Growler fitted!, or a Non Starter

I'm not sure if any have been stolen with Strikeback.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Basically, a lot of vehicles are stolen (not MH specific) by the thief stealing the keys and then the vehicle. cat 5 has a flat disk which cannot be kept with the keys as no way of attaching. So if keys are stolen and the disk is not in the vehicle it alerts the tracking company

This is most certainly the case. We set off to Peterborough at the weekend and had forgotten the fob thing. Phone rang after about 5 mins, the tracker people had noticed the van moving without the fob bit. And we got a text Monday when we left Peterborough - we explained on Thursday that we’d inadvertently set off without the device - and so the text just said “if it’s not you driving then let us know”.

So the system at ScorpionTrack definitely works!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
My Record with adjudication was in and started in under 20 seconds!

I couldn't hotwire a Merc or a Fiat nowadays

No one has had a motorhome stolen with a Growler fitted!, or a Non Starter

I'm not sure if any have been stolen with Strikeback.

if you have the equipment and know how, you wouldn't have to hot wire anything as you well know. Fortunately, it's only the high end thieves that have the required equipment and to be honest I don't see them targeting motorhomes just yet when they can ship a nice Bentley across the water... not sure there's much call for Swift Kontikis in Saudi just yet.
I was quite amazed watching a recent demo of said high end thief taking a nice car with nothing more than some nice technology and a bit of knowledge.

The reason I have a tracker, ( i have a growler too) is simply put, there are far more "break in" car thefts happening now. Where people are breaking in to houses with the sole purpose of stealing keys to steal cars. No growler in the worlds going to stop that when they press disarm, but at least I will be able to watch where they are going on my app.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I tried AIB. They never even bothered returning my call to them, so put my business elsewhere

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
No growler in the worlds going to stop that when they press disarm, but at least I will be able to watch where they are going on my app.
Ah but Paul, We have the "Non Starter" for that. They may get your Growler remote control, they may get your door key, they may get your ignition key, but they won't start the engine without getting your phone (y)

On a serious note this is why we incorporated smart phones into our motorhome security regime, getting it back is fine, but shutting the stable door before the horse has bolted made much more sense.

ID tags (Pebbles) are a pain and hidden buttons can be easily watched and copied but if my motorhome is at home and the keys are at home I am either there, or I am out and my phone is with me

The cloning that you refer to is an issue with certain systems, but not your Growler as it uses a 16 digit alphanumeric code, 270 Billion combinations (so I am told) as difficult to scan or grab. However, even if some one did it wouldn't mater as the system only ever uses the same code once, then deletes it, so yes "theoretically" your Growler radio key signal could be "grabbed" but never used as it is immediately obsolete.

There are some clever thieves, but there are some clever people making it just too damn hard to steal some things

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
be careful with Trackers if it is for insurance purposes. Most insist on Cat 5 which is the highest standard available with a number of features including key theft protection which is the most annoying feature. Basically, a lot of vehicles are stolen (not MH specific) by the thief stealing the keys and then the vehicle. cat 5 has a flat disk which cannot be kept with the keys as no way of attaching. So if keys are stolen and the disk is not in the vehicle it alerts the tracking company.
Best check with each insurer to find tracker spec before you select one, or go for CAT 5 and you know you have highest standard. I paid 799GBP to have it fitted and 199GBP a year subscription. Don't want to and don't like having to but no one would insure without it.
Mine has a cat 5 tracker. Leave the disc (pad in my case) at home at your peril. I got 50 yards before they phoned. The remote shut down feature (has to be authorised by the police, so I understand) is a comfort....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back