Free Member
Nov 17, 2009
Braintree. Essex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
3 years
Hi all Just fitted a second leasure battery what size fuse should i fit between the two batteries .:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i use regular 30amp blade fuses, as close to the batteries as possible.

its advisable to fit a fuse at BOTH ENDS of the linking live wire as if the wire should chaff through on some metalwork etc then, yes, the fuse will blow but the other end of the chaffed wire is still fixed to the other battery and will remain live as it isnt fused.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I agree with Pappajohn - 30 amp fuses, but there again I would, he told me what to fit when I did it ::bigsmile:
Mine are Midi Fuse units rather than the blade type.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Tan, I hope you don't mind my butting in but can you tell me HOW DID YOU KNOW YOU NEEDED NEW FUSES?

This sort of post terrifies me.. I havn't a clue about engines, batteries, electrics, etc. and whenever I do something to the van I end up paying a fortune, which I can't really afford.... but my fear is that having done something, is there something else needed doing to compensate it. If I had bought a new battery (which I did last year . a bigger one) I wouldn't have thought about changing the fuse to go with it...... I have just had solar panel put on roof .... should I do something else to make it ok sort of comes to mind. I don't expect you to answer that... but can you tell me where do you get your info from please to know what to do as I note you state that you are new to motorhoming.

If all the above is a load of gobbledegook I apologise .... I have engine phobia.:Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Tan, I hope you don't mind my butting in but can you tell me HOW DID YOU KNOW YOU NEEDED NEW FUSES?

Only because he installed extra wiring, so the fuses protect that new wiring.

All wiring needs the protection of a fuse somewhere, otherwise first short and it's fire time.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Tan, movan, and also any new Funsters...

Can I add a very general comment?

This site has several very real technical experts, even if some are unduly modest. Using just one example, from this thread, you'll quickly realise that PJ is one of these, whereas other people, like me, waffle a bit...

But what I do is copy useful bits, maybe the actual guts of most of a thread, straight onto a word document, (Unformatted text). This is named and filed in a folder marked "MH tips".

(Being me, I also correct spelling etc, but these last two points, the reformatted text and the spelling etc are just so that I am not distracted by style, such as a typeface, when looking at these notes for advice. It's also bloody rude to make public comment, when someone is trying to help or entertain us, so I am not referring to any individual.)

I also attribute authorship, so if, for example, I noted a comment by a lightweight, like me, I'd probably pay less attention than to something by a heavyweight like PJ.

As I said , this is not on this particular subject, but just a suggestion on how to make use of something in six months time, and I at learn more this way. It might seem anal, but it works for me...

Hope this helps.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with papajohn.. :thumb:

however, if the batteries are next to each other, ie only short links between and no fear of chaffing or damage there is no need to use a fuse in the link.

OP
OP
tan

tan

Free Member
Nov 17, 2009
Braintree. Essex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
3 years
movan

I am still learning and when unsure I ask and the funsters usually come up with an answer. With respect to the battery it is an additional battery to the original and from reading on fun previously I have seen that a fuse may be necessary as brian says new wire needs protecting but I wasnot sure of size hence the question. So do as I do if unsure ask cost nothing could sae lots good luck with the solar panel keep us posted as to how you get on with it

Terry:thumb:

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I agree with scotjimlad and also if the battery(ies) are already connected by a fuse in the circuit any short will blow the fuse wherever the short is; indeed if you protect the second battery lead with a fuse it will still probably blow the main one as well if a short occours....IMHO of course.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
tan, there's one bit of advice which is that it's generally reckoned you should replace leisure batteries in pairs, and if you are adding one to an existing one-battery system, you should actually put in two new batteries, even if your existing one ought to have plenty of life left in it.

This is because if there's one old and one new, the old battery pulls the new one down to its level, and not far down the line you'll probably end up by having to get two new ones!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with scotjimlad and also if the battery(ies) are already connected by a fuse in the circuit any short will blow the fuse wherever the short is; indeed if you protect the second battery lead with a fuse it will still probably blow the main one as well if a short occours....IMHO of course.

the reason for fitting a second fuse.....

if only one is fitted and a short occurs anywhere along the linking live wire then the fuse will blow BUT the other battery hasn't any protection from earth.....earth already to earth and live directly to earth via the short circuit point.

hope this is clear.

Attachments

• 03 May 2010.jpg
    03 May 2010.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
tan

tan

Free Member
Nov 17, 2009
Braintree. Essex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
3 years
imprint

Thanks for the advice but the first battery was only 2 days old when I went to Peterborough and couldnot resist the second at £49.99 for a 110ah

terry:thumb:

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Pappajohn, yes I see that if there is a distance between the batteries.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the diagram, PJ, which 'blew up' nicely (in size) when I followed my earlier advice and copied it to file!!!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Imprint Thank you for that useful tip. I have, actually, meant to do that for a long time but always seem to forget when the time comes. You've made me think I had better get my act together.... as you say, it is handy and I always find that using the search engine months later doesn't always prove fruitful. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the diagram, PJ, which 'blew up' nicely (in size) when I followed my earlier advice and copied it to file!!!

should have copied it to file myself then when members ask how to connect, its there in black and white......even though the live wires were supposed to be in red and are red in my drawing program...along with blue fuses (i know, wrong colour for 30a fuses :Doh:)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I also attribute authorship, so if, for example, I noted a comment by a lightweight, like me, I'd probably pay less attention than to something by a heavyweight like PJ.

so you're calling pappajohn a fat bugger are you?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Well, I wasn't, but when the cap fits..gotcha!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back