Electrical advice needed please (1 Viewer)

oddjob

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Cleveleys Nr Blackpool
Funster No
Exp
next monday hopefully
I managed to get one of those Aldi sat systems yesterday ,and after spending the best part of yesterday afternoon in the back garden trying to figure it out (tuning in )finally at 9pm last night success,going to try again later to see if it was a fluke.
It comes supplied with a 12 volt ciggy adapter which i shall get a 12 volt plug so i can use in a socket ,
Here's the question i only have one 12 volt socket with i use for the telly when not hooked up,is it possible for me to add another socket taking the electric supply from the existing socket so i can have them side by side and use both when not hooked up??.
If thats about as clear as mud let me know :RollEyes:
oddjob

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Yes

Look down the link below for double adapter.

Link Removed

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
How about one of these,

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
oddjob

oddjob

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Cleveleys Nr Blackpool
Funster No
Exp
next monday hopefully
Thanks for your speedy response ,
i was thinking more like this ,not ciggy lighter sockets ,can i join it to the existing plug
taking the power from the existing or is there a double socket??
oddjob

Attachments

• 12 volt plug.jpg
    12 volt plug.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 12 volt socket 2.jpg
    12 volt socket 2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 7

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Seems to me you wont more of a permanent supply, therefore if it was me I would look for a 12 volt supply off the leisure battery rather than the cab.

Roy

OP
OP
oddjob

oddjob

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Cleveleys Nr Blackpool
Funster No
Exp
next monday hopefully
Seems to me you wont more of a permanent supply, therefore if it was me I would look for a 12 volt supply off the leisure battery rather than the cab.
Exactly correct ,i already have one of these below can i link one to the other and have them side by side ,or is there such a thing as a double socket ,i have searched without luck
oddjob

Attachments

• 12 volt socket 3.PNG
    12 volt socket 3.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 8

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Plus check the size of your wireing,, dont know but might be a bit to much running two units of the wire that is there..

As said better to run separate heavier/appropriate wire from leisure battery with appropriate size inline fuse..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, we just wired both the tv and the sat box into the one plug ( just like yours ) but found that I could not be bothered taking about an half hour to tune it in so got rid of it :ROFLMAO:(people asured me you get better/faster at it :ROFLMAO: ) and got a 12v freeview box :thumb:We did the wiring ourself s ( well mate did it :thumb::ROFLMAO: ) so we knew the supply wires were heavy enough for the job :thumb:
terry

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi As all my toys (phone chargers, sat receiver, computer PSU) came with a cig lighter plug I have just added a multi outlet for them as shown. This is off the leasure battery and works fine without having to break into the wiring. The multi outlet had a long wire which I shortened & fitted the 2 pin plug, do make sure the conections are the right way round (plus to the centre pin).

Mike

Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Exactly correct ,i already have one of these below can i link one to the other and have them side by side ,or is there such a thing as a double socket ,i have searched without luck
oddjob

Yes you can link them.

You do this assuming that the feed to the existing socket is correct for the cable size.

So assume the cable is fused 10A for that single socket, you wire 10 more sockets but you still blow the fuse at 10A so the cable is safe from fire risk.

This will be fine for the low load of a sat dish. But I've no idea how much the TV draws.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Flippin eck. Felt dumb before but now feel dumber.. You lot arn't half clever:cry::cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back