Site on the New Forest suitable for dogs (1 Viewer)

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
We are looking for recommendations for somewhere to stay in the New Forest or within an hour of Salisbury. Any experiences or recommendations that you can share on a public forum gratefully received.

Must Haves
Dog walking
EHU
Clean Showers/toilets

Preferences
Level pitch
Hard Standing
Away from road

Thanks

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Are you a member of the CAMC? If so their Black Knowl site is one of my favourites Or Longmeadows. Both an easy walk into Brockenhurst off road.

One of my fav spots in the world is very near there. Enjoy.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Yes, I'd echo the Alabama Rot risk, awful disease.
C&CC site at Salisbury is pleasant and you can walk your dog around Old Sarum.
There's also a large site near the lakes at Calne, or again C&CC Devizes, right on the canal.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Don't want to put a downer on things but there's a high incidence of Alabama Rot in the New Forest. We live fairly close and would love to spend weekends there but until things clear up we give it a wide berth.

There was a case in the next village to us, West of Salisbury a few months ago :-( so it’s certainly not confined to the New Forest. The dogs already walk on it near Brock as the youngest is at college there and one day has only a very short day so Mrs YMFB takes her’ walks the hounds and they all come back.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
No its not confined solely to the New Forest, far from it, but there is a high incidence of it there.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
There was a case in the next village to us, West of Salisbury a few months ago :-( so it’s certainly not confined to the New Forest. The dogs already walk on it near Brock as the youngest is at college there and one day has only a very short day so Mrs YMFB takes her’ walks the hounds and they all come back.

Not a good idea as others have said but then I suppose Salisbury has it's risks!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I think there are far greater risks than Alabama Rot, our local vets are not advising against walking in particular areas, so along with 1000s of others we will continue to enjoy the forest with our dogs.

I don’t know how many cases there have been, but it’s not prolific.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I think there are far greater risks than Alabama Rot, our local vets are not advising against walking in particular areas, so along with 1000s of others we will continue to enjoy the forest with our dogs.

There has been 152 cases since 2012. Not big numbers compared to the number of dogs being walked but no less distressing for the families involved. I like black Knowle too.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

I don't know what the greater risks are that you refer to when out walking in the woods... snake bites perhaps?

There are interactive maps of the country which show the concentration of cases. The highest number of outbreaks appears to be concentrated in Dorset County and in New Forest National Park and surrounding areas.

Obviously, its entirely up to you but I think it's wise to know the percentage risk you're taking and the likely outcome if your dog is unfortunate enough to contract the disease.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Longmeadow nr Brockenhurst ticks nearly all of our boxes, no hard standing left but flat level grass.

Plenty of sheep poo !

We can hear the A337 and occasional train but far enough away to not be too intrusive, just heard a jet, possibly taking off at Bournemouth, It would probably not be a lot of fun for grumpy middle aged folk like us in the main summer holidays.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Medowbank Farm CL on the outskirts of the forest, hard standings shower toilet, flat large field for walking dogs, pub and chip shop in walking distance, the owner also runs a health spa so you can even have colonic irrigation if you are up for it. :D2

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Longmeadow nr Brockenhurst ticks nearly all of our boxes, no hard standing left but flat level grass.

Plenty of sheep poo !

We can hear the A337 and occasional train but far enough away to not be too intrusive, just heard a jet, possibly taking off at Bournemouth, It would probably not be a lot of fun for grumpy middle aged folk like us in the main summer holidays.

It turns out it was deer poo, great dog walks without going on the road

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back