Those Awkward Hymer Bathroom Lamp Switches we Fumble for! (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Fed up fumbling around in the dark at night trying to find the lamp switch for the Bathroom. Usually hidden behind the loo roll.

I have fitted a 12v Sensor. Simply comes on automatic when you open the door and you can set from 5 seconds to 8 mins.

I hope its of some use to someone else.

TM

EF907ADA-6459-4AC2-A60B-2C21777BCC34.jpeg
67AAF395-1E4F-47A5-A7F6-A74F23D99F8D.jpeg
B9CE1A25-FE51-4600-B4E9-AF6708E996E5.jpeg

Last edited:

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Fed up fumbling around in the dark at night trying to find the lamp switch for the Bathroom.

I have fitted a 12v Sensor. Simply comes on automatic when you open the door and you can set from 5 seconds to 8 mins.

I hope its of some use to someone else.

TM
Thanks. Do you have a product name, link and preferably a picture of the install?

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

I have put it all back together now.

http://www.velleman.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p552_pir416.html is the item. Widely available.

I simply cut into the two existing wires and used Wago connectors to connect the unit into.

Small hole through the plastic for the sensor. Blob of glue on the plug to stop it popping out during transit and hey ho. Simples.

The PIR416 comes with a multi language instruction sheet. Very easy to follow.

- Negative in
+ Positive Live in
+ Switched out to lamp(s)

I wired after the switch. So it can still be switched off permanent

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Great idea I will certainly be looking at them I can think of a few cupboards that they would work in and not that expensive either.
Thanks for telling us.(y)(y)(y)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Various types on Ebay:
A note of caution. In electronics, 12 Volts often means 12 volts give or take half a volt. For example if these things are designed for wardrobe/kitchen cupboard lights, that's what they'll be expecting.

Habitation voltage will vary from 10 to 15 volts on a routine basis, because of power demand and battery charging. Getting a nice steady 12 volts from a supply that is always moving above or below that level is particularly awkward. You need to trim or boost the input in real time. Something like this will do the job OK.

DC-DC 5-32V to 12V 3A Automatic Voltage Stabilizer Power Converter Regulator

However some of these PIR sensors may be intended for burglar alarm systems, which will have battery backup and battery charger just like the habitation side of a MH. In which case, they should be OK.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I bought a battery powered led with pir, works well only coming on after dark. Problem is the pir drains the battery whether light coming on or not.
Might look at this, thanks for idea.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
A note of caution. In electronics, 12 Volts often means 12 volts give or take half a volt. For example if these things are designed for wardrobe/kitchen cupboard lights, that's what they'll be expecting.

Habitation voltage will vary from 10 to 15 volts on a routine basis, because of power demand and battery charging. Getting a nice steady 12 volts from a supply that is always moving above or below that level is particularly awkward. You need to trim or boost the input in real time. Something like this will do the job OK.

DC-DC 5-32V to 12V 3A Automatic Voltage Stabilizer Power Converter Regulator

However some of these PIR sensors may be intended for burglar alarm systems, which will have battery backup and battery charger just like the habitation side of a MH. In which case, they should be OK.

Yes, some of those listed by Minxy Girl may not be compatible. In-fact, one looks like its only 1 component of a 2 part system

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, some of those listed by Minxy Girl may not be compatible. In-fact, one looks like its only 1 component of a 2 part system
No idea, I just put up some for consideration ....

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
How about an illuminated cassette so you open the flap and are met with a shaft of sublte glow from within ....... I working on the design right now, I can see a winner.
What's the number for Deborah Meeden ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This reminds me of the 'Letter of the Month' prize that I won (MMM) for my suggestion on how to be 'easily flushed' in the camper washroom! :D

Do you suffer early morning groping?
Or fumbling around at night?
Doing acrobatic manoeuvres
In a space that’s a little bit tight?

As bleary eyed and half asleep
Trying to see by just moonlight
You feel around for the exact ‘spot’
But it’s never there ... not quite

Defeated you’ll have no choice
But to switch on the dazzling light
Disturbing others with the glow
Oh dear, you’ll feel contrite