This Is The Sort Of Behaviour That Makes Me Hate The Apple Company (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My speaker on my Garmin sat-nav has gone tinny, I am going to buy one from an electronics company for £1.71. I can fit it myself.
Am I bothered about it not be genuine Garmin if it does the job?

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
fork out a LOT more money for the Apple version rather than a non-Apple product of the same calibre ...

you have evidence that knock-off Apple parts are of the same quality as OEM .. or is that just an assumption.. ?

go on youtube and watch demonisations of OEM Apple screens versus knock-off screens, then say they are the same
or are you taking about a different brand altogether ... ? not clear

What I don't understand is why people who don't want or use Apple products have a compelling need to slag them off.. has to be an explanation for this

If I want to spend my cash on an Apple product that is my choice.. my money.

in 20016 Apple sales of the iphone had topped one billion.. yes, 1,000,000,000. (before anyone get's pedantic, that's a US billion)

it's a crap phone bought by stupid people.. over a billion of them now ..

Since the mid 90s I've had all makes of phones Motorola, several Nokia, Blackberry, several Samsung.. then I bought my first iPhone 4s .. it was a revelation, a think of beauty and a joy for ever..
Current model is a 5S , had it since new, long in the tooth now but it is still a great phone.. runs the latest version of OS.. does all I need, and does it well..

I don't have a phone contract, never had, never will , I prefer buying unlocked and using on whatever network I want.. no ties..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My speaker on my Garmin sat-nav has gone tinny, I am going to buy one from an electronics company for £1.71. I can fit it myself.

of course not, I'd do the same... but a speaker is just a speaker.. hardly high tech. a few screws, two wires.. couple of chock block connectors , job done ;)

hardly the same league as repairing an iPhone.. and I wouldn't entrust a non Apple engineer to fit a new screen using non OEM parts to my iPhone .. would you ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
you have evidence that knock-off Apple parts are of the same quality as OEM .. or is that just an assumption.. ?

If you're gonna quote me please quote the whole posting ... I don't need 'evidence' at all as you have misread what I said:

If you like Apple products that's fine, not liking them is fine too ... what amazes me is the price of them though ... yes some say the customer service is great and you get a repair or replacement FOC when your existing one has an issue and is out of warranty BUT you are paying for that up-front when you have to fork out a LOT more money for the Apple version rather than a non-Apple product of the same calibre ...
I was talking about other products NOT other repair parts and many of the non-Apple equipment nowadays is as good, or in some cases, better than Apple IMV.

Apple may be great for some people but they are too restrictive for me - eg they don't have access to anything like as many apps that Android devices do.

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I don't like Apple or I should say I don't like Apple's policies. I have a Mac Air and it's definitely the best overall laptop I've owned for quality of build and reliability. I've had two Iphones and had a couple of problems with them (gps crap on Iphone4 for example) but they've otherwise worked well. But I will never buy another Apple product because Android phones offer so much more. Expandable memory, removable batteries (sometimes), cheaper or free apps compared to Iphone apps. My mother locked her Iphone accidentally the other day (I'm not the only daft bugger in the family) and what a carry on she had to get it unlocked. I tried to help but she lives in Spain and I was in Sardinia at the time. And finally cos JJ is my mate and I agree with everything he says :notworthy2:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you're gonna quote me please quote the whole posting ... I don't need 'evidence' at all as you have misread what I said:

I was talking about other products NOT other repair parts and many of the non-Apple equipment nowadays is as good, or in some cases, better than Apple IMV.

Apple may be great for some people but they are too restrictive for me - eg they don't have access to anything like as many apps that Android devices do.

like I said.. it wasn't clear what you were referring to.. thanks for clarifying..

what apps can you get on Android that you can't for an iPhone ?

I've never had that problem.. but I don't load my phone to the hilt with apps that I have no use for, they run in the background, use battery power and download data without you being aware.. so I keep mine to the bare minimum and weed out those that I haven't used much.

You can generally get most information you need on the browser without an app. that can also be a security risk.

What you won't get on an iPhone are third party apps that haven't been approved for use by Apple , so you can be assured when using Apple apps it won't be a security issue or hack into your personal details.. contacts etc..

I've had both Android and Apple so can compare fairly.. and don't have the compelling need to slag off Android.

Tied to Apple. or tied to Google ... ? much the same, we are all servants to one or the other..

typical-android-user.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
non-Apple product of the same calibre ...

For a lot of the Apple product line there’s no such thing.

Phones and tablets I accept just come down to brand preference. Apple and Samsung devices share many common components.

When it comes to computers though no mainstream manufacturer even comes close to competing.

They only way you would do that is build your own Linux based system from scratch and be clever enough to make an Apple 5K display work with it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For a lot of the Apple product line there’s no such thing.

Phones and tablets I accept just come down to brand preference. Apple and Samsung devices share many common components.

When it comes to computers though no mainstream manufacturer even comes close to competing.

They only way you would do that is build your own Linux based system from scratch and be clever enough to make an Apple 5K display work with it.
There are always going to be exceptions and when you go to the high level stuff like Apple 5K etc then there may only be 'one' best product, however we're talking more about the general stuff that people use such as phones, tablets etc.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
like I said.. it wasn't clear what you were referring to.. thanks for clarifying..

what apps can you get on Android that you can't for an iPhone ?

I've never had that problem.. but I don't load my phone to the hilt with apps that I have no use for, they run in the background, use battery power and download data without you being aware.. so I keep mine to the bare minimum and weed out those that I haven't used much.

You can generally get most information you need on the browser without an app. that can also be a security risk.

What you won't get on an iPhone are third party apps that haven't been approved for use by Apple , so you can be assured when using Apple apps it won't be a security issue or hack into your personal details.. contacts etc..

I've had both Android and Apple so can compare fairly.. and don't have the compelling need to slag off Android.

Tied to Apple. or tied to Google ... ? much the same, we are all servants to one or the other..

typical-android-user.jpg

I'm no fan of Google either but its nice to have the option of 3rd party apps, I accept there is a security risk but its a personal choice which Apple don't allow you. I do have lots of apps on my phone and tablet and I should get rid of some but I can't help myself :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

You'll be lying awake at night "Can I trust it" "Will it set fire ?" "Oh why didn't I buy Apple ?" "Will I get lost ?" "Will I fall into the clutches of a nymphomaniac gang who will strip and abuse me until I pass out ?" "What an olde foole I am ?".

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There are always going to be exceptions and when you go to the high level stuff like Apple 5K etc then there may only be 'one' best product, however we're talking more about the general stuff that people use such as phones, tablets etc.

Find me any commercially available laptop anywhere in the world, running any OS you choose, that’s even remotely approaching the calibre of my 5 year old MacBook Pro and you might have a point.

I know you can’t though.

I’ll give you a starting hint. Until Windows requires updating and restarting less than OS X all Windows machines are disqualified by default. (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
it's a crap phone bought by stupid people.. over a billion of them now ...

Just about every young female I see is wearing expensive jeans with great big designer holes in the knees.

Don't ever underestimate how stupid and gullible human beings are.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Find me any commercially available laptop anywhere in the world, running any OS you choose, that’s even remotely approaching the calibre of my 5 year old MacBook Pro and you might have a point.

I know you can’t though.
Why would I want to do that ... ? If you want a p*ssing contest I'm not 'holding' it for you! :D

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I've had two iphones , and and ipod thingy. The iPhone 2 ran ok until an update, then it ran slower than a dead dog on tranqualisers, went to an Apple shop, shrug of the shoulders, the last update caused more issues than it solved, a fix in a few months.

I also hated the lock down, changing a ring tone, a nightmare. There is some justification fie some control, but, apple appears to have gone OTT.

I moved to Android and have been happy, new scred £180 Samsung Galaxy part.

Would I go to Apple, I don't think so, not because of the build, it's just their control over the users .

Each to their own.

I think I'm right, are Apple losing ground on Android in the sales of mobile phones?

Oh yes, I did use an Apple desktop in the USA some years ago, couldn't get on with it at all. From memory a one button mouse.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm no fan of Google either but its nice to have the option of 3rd party apps, I accept there is a security risk but its a personal choice which Apple don't allow you. I do have lots of apps on my phone and tablet and I should get rid of some but I can't help myself :)

That’s a complete and utter myth.

At least 90% of the apps I use on my iPhone are third party.

A higher percentage than that of apps on the Apple App Store are 3rd party.

The only difference between. Apple and Google in this regard is that Apple have a much more stringent set of tests for stability and security. Personally I like that. Why would I want to use an app that can’t pass decent testing?

This “Apple don’t permit 3rd party apps” story was started many years ago, right at the start of the smartphone era I’m guessing by some people who couldn’t get their app through the Apple testing.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why would I want to do that ... ? If you want a p*ssing contest I'm not 'holding' it for you! :D

No pissing contest. You mentioned products of an equal calibre to Apple ones. I’m merely asking for an example (y):D2

There was an easy answer: Chinese Mac rip offs are generally as close as you can get, certainly closer than anyone else’s offerings :D2

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Lots of myths and misunderstandings on here. I am not going to address each one to the poster but try to cover them all.
  • Knock off or cheap parts are propaganda. Apple does not manufacture screens and the screens are not just manufactured for apple. They are standard parts and all built on the same productions lines.
  • The guy who imported these screens was not buying knock off apple branded parts. Some were apple parts but they had the branding obscured, they were not sold as official Apple parts. He was cleared on copyright and trademark infringement due to this. He was not pretending these were official apple parts. Some were in fact apple parts, but were not sold as Apple parts.
  • Apple want to shut down ALL non authorized repair shops. They are using copyright, trademark and other legal routes to do this.
  • Apple also try the argument about safety..
  • Apple don't want anyone to repair their products except them and are fighting many many court cases to prevent you have this option.
If BMW were to do the same, only BMW garages could repair BMW's with BMW parts. You would no longer be able to fit Bremco brake parts anymore, nor could you take your BMW to your local garage for service/repairs. You couldn't fill it with Castrol GTX you would have to use the correct BMW oil even though BMW doesn't make oil and just rebrands Castrol.

In America the same thing is happening with hugely expensive farming equipment like tractors and combines. There are laws being passed at the moment called "Right to repair".. Farmers are not able to fix their combines or replace parts without taking them to dealers. This is a huge issue.

It is also worth noting that apple don't do board level repairs. So if a single component say a resistor is blown, they will force you to replace the whole board. Whereas a 3rd party repair centre like Louis Rossman's will fix water damage right down to the board/component level. These back street repair places are quite often more skilled and knowledgable than so called Apple 'Genius'..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w

Seriously, watch a few of his videos...

Oh and on the quality issue. Apple are not as good as the fan boys think... Just one example here (of many)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Right to repair. I have been following this for a while now.. These two videos are ones I have watched and stood out in my memory as worth watching.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Apple are not as good as the fan boys think.

calling Apple owners 'fanboys' doesn't lent weight to your opinions
and you were doing so well until you said that .. :(

I don't consider myself a 'fanboy' , just a very satisfied owner of an iPhone, MacBookPro and iMac

Apple Fanboy
1. A person who believes in almost anything that apple says and gives into it's marketing strategy. 2. A prime target for apple marketers to impose their superfluously costing products to. 3. A person who honestly believes that Windows XP or Vista is Archaic, Inferior, Does Not Work, or just plain ripped off ideas from the Mac OS. 4. One who waits in line for days in some instances, for Apple keynote speeches. 5. One who believes adding an "i" prefix to anything is automatically superior to anything that does not have an "i" in front of it.
Most apple fanboys will possess three or more of the following:

1. iPod
2. iPhone
3. Macbook
4. iMac
5. Mac Pro
6. 3 or more Apple Connector Cables
7. A membership at Macheist.com

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

same reason some are happy with an old banger camper van and others need a £100k motorhome .. both do the same thing.. go the same places

no one needs to justify what they buy to anyone, and no one has the right to judge

I have a couple of Nokia 6310i phones, probably the best handset ever made. keep them charged and with £10 credit on them for emergencies.
very popular for its robustness, simplicity and long battery life and years after being discontinued still fetches good money on ebay

Last edited:

Deleted User
5 pages and 81 posts about phones and lappy's, as long as it works and does what you want does it matter.......the doing what I want is the only thing important to me........82 posts now:)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Simple answer "you wouldn't" you need a phone to suits your requirements and that would not be an iPhone on this occasion.

Martin

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
calling Apple owners 'fanboys' doesn't lent weight to your opinions
and you were doing so well until you said that .. :(
I wasn't targetting you or any other poster. There are quite a few people who are almost religious in their support for Apple, that ignore or genuinely don't see the flaws in the product or the company... Their position means they can't see the damage that Apple is doing with court cases like the on that @JJ mentioned. My use of fanboy in this case is perfectly warranted I thought?

Exactly, not just Apple, it is common practice hence my reference to Tractors/Farm equipment. Right to repair is extremely important and hopefully we will get some protections on this front once we leave the EU.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

Well @airwave, there you go then! If the phone had been an iPhone it would easily have stood up to being run over by a steam roller, let alone a few lightweight cars. Ask @scotjimland he will confirm I am sure! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
of course not, I'd do the same... but a speaker is just a speaker.. hardly high tech. a few screws, two wires.. couple of chock block connectors , job done ;)

hardly the same league as repairing an iPhone.. and I wouldn't entrust a non Apple engineer to fit a new screen using non OEM parts to my iPhone .. would you ?
Yes I did, bought one on ebay for less than a tenner (iPhone 4 so an old 'phone but), son fitted it who can see those tiny screws. Works fine.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a 2012 Samsung Galaxy Note 2, still on it's original battery and the battery lasts me two days still... :p
Quite a good phone, but not as good as my old Nokia N900 or any other pre-Microsoft Nokia for that matter.
I still miss my Blackberries though :(
Had one of the original iPhones and would never get one ever again. Still love my Apple iPod nano and iPod Touch.
Can't stand Apples computers but that is the OS, not the hardware itself which I have to admit is over priced for what it is.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yes I did, bought one on ebay for less than a tenner (iPhone 4 so an old 'phone but), son fitted it who can see those tiny screws. Works fine.
Not hard to do. iFixit is a brilliant site for those who want to fix stuff themselves.
https://www.ifixit.com/

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
You'll be lying awake at night "Can I trust it" "Will it set fire ?" "Oh why didn't I buy Apple ?" "Will I get lost ?" "Will I fall into the clutches of a nymphomaniac gang who will strip and abuse me until I pass out ?" "What an olde foole I am ?".
No Brian, the above is what you asked yourself having just bought a Swift :rofl::rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back