appplying underbody wax treatment (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
So, I've a few weeks to wait for my Rollerteam T-Line 590. I've decided to make sure I get this vehicle sprayed with Dinitrol under body wax, I've had similar on various vehicles over the years, and can vouch for the huge difference it makes, I feel it's worth the cost and effort. I'd like to do this myself for a couple of reasons, I actually enjoyed doing the previous motorhome, it's a lot cheaper cheaper than some professional centres.... and I'll actually know that I've done a decent job rather than hope they did. Only problem is, this is a pretty low motorhome, and I can't scoot underneath it like I did with my old Bessacarr.
I'm not aware this vehicle will fit on my local trusted mechanics electric lift, but I can certainly have him help get it off the ground somehow. Im guessing we can drive it up ramps at one end and chock it safely ?
hmmmm, wondering about borrowing somewhere that has an MOT pit, will that likely be sizeable enough to get around to spray the treatment on ?
any ideas or suggestions appreciated

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Hydraulic trolley jack and axle stands, but ones rated to load rather than car units.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think hymers waxoil theirs as standard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
You *enjoy* doing it?? Crikey, I spent yesterday underneath my van touching up the pro Dinitrol job that was done 3 years ago, I hate it!! Nasty, smelly, mucky 'orrible job, and that's from someone who regularly crawls under vehicles!

But each to their own! I think the problem you'll have is finding someone who is happy for their ramp to get grotty from the inevitable Dinitrol drips. If you're lucky maybe an HGV place who has an outside pit they use for steam cleaning, if you can persuade them to let you use it. Otherwise, axle stands on the drive I'd say, doing the front and rear separately.

I had mine done by JR Classics which wasn't cheap but you do get what you pay for - he had it for a week, stripped the wheel arch linings off and lots of other bits like the door linings and bonnet sound insulation to really do it properly. I've had various bits of the van apart in the 3 years since and I've been impressed by the job he did, very thorough. He doesn't use a lift, he has two "tippers" that sit under the wheels on one side and tilt the van over. I could go back and see him to get my van touched up every year, he only charges ÂŁ25 to do this, but he is a long drive away for me.

Some of the rustproofing places you see advertise say that they do it in a day - steam clean then treat - don't even take the wheels off, I don't see how they can ensure the vulnerable hidden places are done. I also wouldn't be happy that it was properly dry after steam cleaning, especially if done same day.

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
thanks for all of your replies, I'm going to get in touch with JR Classics, might be worth a chat, at least :)

Paul

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Just bear in mind your van will stink to high heaven inside for about 4 weeks afterwards! I drove home from JR high as a kite on the Dinitrol fumes, even though he'd finished the job 2 days previous......getting it into all the box sections and closed off bits means it takes a while to evaporate off all the solvent. In all seriousness don't plan to go away for at least 3 weeks after treatment would be my advice - and expect a few drips on your drive the first hot summer after treatment.

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I got in touch with JR, they need it for several days and quoted ÂŁ780.... which is taking some coming to terms with. The logistics of it ending up down there for a few days is not going to be so easy. It'll certainly be being done, just not so sure it'll be down at JR. Thank you very much for the advice though, it's a starting point at least

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think hymers waxoil theirs as standard
Nope, both the Fiat bit & the Al-Ko chassis are galvanized and you are not supposed to treat galvanizing with anything. I'm sure it says on the Al-Ko info do not coat with anything. although the Fiat bit is painted over like most cars.

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
just remind me what exactly an Al-Ko chassis is ? (excuse my ignorance) ..... and this is something used on the Rollerteam vans ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
just remind me what exactly an Al-Ko chassis is ? (excuse my ignorance) ..... and this is something used on the Rollerteam vans ?
Al-Ko is a chassis manufactured for motorhomes and fixed to the Ducato van front (assuming its on Fiat) you can tell if it's Al-Ko as it will be galvanised, the alternative is the standard Fiat chassis which it would appear is used by Rollerteam. The image is from their web site.

fdbf7baf87c31aa14eb9aff9767724111d293576.jpg

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A chassis made by Al-Ko that bolts onto the Fiat cab, often standard sometimes an extra
Generally gives a better ride and handling, has torsion bar suspension instead of coil springs.
I don't know if Roller Team fit Al-Ko chassis, a look at the chassis will tell. Fiat one will be painted white with coil springs, Al-Ko one will be bright galvanizing with no springs also there will be a Al-Ko weight plate under the bonnet.

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I have a feeling that it's not Al-Ko then, it certainly doesn't jump out on Rollerteams website, and that seems to list a lot of spec. I'd better get undersealing then ! ;)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
A chassis made by Al-Ko that bolts onto the Fiat cab, often standard sometimes an extra
Generally gives a better ride and handling, has torsion bar suspension instead of coil springs.
I don't know if Roller Team fit Al-Ko chassis, a look at the chassis will tell. Fiat one will be painted white with coil springs, Al-Ko one will be bright galvanizing with no springs also there will be a Al-Ko weight plate under the bonnet.

I think you mean leaf springs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back