This Is The Sort Of Behaviour That Makes Me Hate The Apple Company (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A couple of years ago I replaced the screen on one of our hairdressers IPhone 5, cost £29.00 if I remember correctly, 30 min job no idea what an official Apple shop would charge.

No idea about an iPhone 5 because it's so old.

As a general rule I've found Apple Store repair prices for current products, using genuine parts and with full warranty, are always within a tenner of a back street DIY cowboy using knock off parts and with a warranty to the end of the street. Bit of a no brainer really isn't it.

I've done plenty of research on this as the keeper of a teenager who regularly breaks phones in many imaginative ways

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I was to buy it it would be in a box with a name l recognised - just not the name of the vehicle manufacturer. I can't see any difference with electronic parts - if you find a supplier of Chinese electronics that you trust then buy your spares from that source. I know it's more difficult to make that judgement but it doesn't mean a customer needing a repair should be denied the choice.
But would you know if the box or the contents were genuine,

Quote from the article,

The supplier sent the shop replacement screens with an inked over Apple logo on them

Norwegian custom's officials seized a shipment of aftermarket iPhone 6 and 6S replacement screens last year. Apple was alerted and claimed the owner was violating their trademarks by using aftermarket parts without authorization. Apple sued the owner, Henrik Huseby, and offered him a settlement agreement if he promised "not to manufacture, import, sell, market, or otherwise deal with any products that infringe Apple’s trademarks."

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
No idea about an iPhone 5 because it's so old.

As a general rule I've found Apple Store repair prices for current products, using genuine parts and with full warranty, are always within a tenner of a back street DIY cowboy using knock off parts and with a warranty to the end of the street. Bit of a no brainer really isn't it.

I've done plenty of research on this as the keeper of a teenager who regularly breaks phones in many imaginative ways

Sounds like that you are trying to justify to yourself, the money you spend on going to an authorized dealer. That's fine, your money your choice.
Myself I go on YouTube, find vid which shows you how to do it, and advises on where to buy it, and save pounds. Apple don't need my money but I do.

Just because a shop is not an authorized dealer doesn't make them cowboys, sounds like a bit of Apple snobbery to me.

Just looked, local shop £34.99, 12 months guarantee, genuine parts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sounds like that you are trying to justify to yourself, the money you spend on going to an authorized dealer. That's fine, your money your choice.
Myself I go on YouTube, find vid which shows you how to do it, and advises on where to buy it, and save pounds. Apple don't need my money but I do.

Just because a shop is not an authorized dealer doesn't make them cowboys, sounds like a bit of Apple snobbery to me.

Did you even read my post? I'll repeat for you: In my experience back street non authorised repairers using non genuine parts are never ever more than £10 cheaper than Apple. This has been tested across a variety of different repairs on a variety of products.

Anyway I'm not trying to justify anything to anyone. Why should I? I don't care what anyone else thinks.

It's based on personal experience of using Apple products at home and work for many years. Non genuine parts are simply not the same quality and I don't want them anywhere near any device that's vital to my business.

If you don't care about quality and price is the only thing that's important to you then you carry on. I won't.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Macs are not all they're cracked up to be. I never turn my iMac off and I had to reboot it twice last year. Was going to take it back, but its behaving now, and no reboots this year yet.

Yours was (ipad) when you ran over it with the trailer:p

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
It’s easy to have a go at big brands from behind your computer screen, but if it wasn’t for the fact that they invested heavily in R & D by employing loads of just out of university “engineers” we would not see the development that we do.

You have to make money where you can so protecting your IP and selling OEM parts are all part of the same thing.

Dyson/ Rolls Royce etc take a similar stance to McDonalds and Apple

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
A few days ago a few vertical lines appeared on the left hand side of the screen on my MacBook Pro .I took it to apple and was told I needed a new screen at a cost of £511. (it is three years old) after a little discussion they took a photo of the screen and said the would send it to Apple support. They phoned me later that day and said as good will there will be no charge.Its been repaired today,good result

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Yes but don’t forget that the apple bashing bandwagon is a very fashionable one to be on. Same as every other large evil corporation......

Me, I like and buy their products for a very good reason. They work seamlessly.

Plus of course that smug superior (better than Samsung/LG ) feeling, so a friend tells me......... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

*no Samsung/LG owners were hurt in the making of this post
I was Apple through and through, till I bought. Samsung

Never looked back(y)

It communicates with everything with no expensive gizmos

My car started reading me messages and emails, I was offered printer services in the office I’d never dreamt about, my TV’s in the house started waving at me and when wandering into the Laundry diary room looking more beer, my phone started “flirting” with the walking machine thing :eek:

I now have an inherent distrust and dislike of Apple having bought Apple pods, pads, airport, airport express’s, Apple TV devices just so the stuff can communicate, badly

Also in many tests around the table “OK Google” beats wimpy “Siri” (Chinese for ‘Silly’) hands down. It must really pee Apple of that they have to use a Google who will of course be the inevitable, eventual winner! Obviousl;)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
£10 nick? Just found apples price for iPhone 5 screen repair £136, that's nearly £100 more, maybe you forgot to add a nought. :LOL:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/pricing

Really? Someone is going to supply and fit a genuine Apple screen for you for £36? Link please?

If you're buying a knock off Chinese part from eBay to fit yourself it's a bit of a silly comparison don't you think? Who is warrantying your DIY job? What diagnostics and tests are you running before and after the job? Or is it just some near enough is good enough bodge job where you don't care how good it is as long as it's cheap?

The last one I had repaired was an iPhone 7. Apple Store price £79 with a full 12 month guarantee. Best supply and fit price I could find elsewhere using non genuine parts £70 with a 3 month guarantee.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A few days ago a few vertical lines appeared on the left hand side of the screen on my MacBook Pro .I took it to apple and was told I needed a new screen at a cost of £511. (it is three years old) after a little discussion they took a photo of the screen and said the would send it to Apple support. They phoned me later that day and said as good will there will be no charge.Its been repaired today,good result
My iMac was well out of warranty when the HDD failed. Took it to the apple store and it was repaired within a day free of charge.
I was Apple through and through, till I bought. Samsung

Never looked back(y)

It communicates with everything with no expensive gizmos

My car started reading me messages and emails, I was offered printer services in the office I’d never dreamt about, my TV’s in the house started waving at me and when wandering into the Laundry diary room looking more beer, my phone started “flirting” with the walking machine thing :eek:

I now have an inherent distrust and dislike of Apple having bought Apple pods, pads, airport, airport express’s, Apple TV devices just so the stuff can communicate, badly

Also in many tests around the table “OK Google” beats wimpy “Siri” (Chinese for ‘Silly’) hands down. It must really pee Apple of that they have to use a Google who will of course be the inevitable, eventual winner! Obviousl;)

Not so sure that I like the seamlessly connected household there, Eddie - a bit more than a little too much for me, but that is progress and each to their own. I wonder what other unknown devices that your TV and walking machine are flirting with, unless you live in a faraday cage

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes but don’t forget that the apple bashing bandwagon is a very fashionable one to be on. Same as every other large evil corporation......

Me, I like and buy their products for a very good reason. They work seamlessly.

Plus of course that smug superior (better than Samsung/LG ) feeling, so a friend tells me......... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

*no Samsung/LG owners were hurt in the making of this post
You must admit that they have lost it with this iPhone X jobbie though. Who wants to be seen using one of those..(n)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They phoned me later that day and said as good will there will be no charge.Its been repaired today,good result

They usually do something like that if you go into an Apple store. The customer service is unbeatable.

As long as their diagnostics don't show non authorised repairs using non genuine parts (and they will) more often than not they will come up with some reason for either doing the repair for free or replacing the device completely for the cost of the repair.

A few years ago we went in with an 3ish year old iPad that had died. The girl plugged it into the diagnostics and immediately said "oh it's out of warranty isn't it. Hold on let me speak to my manager" 5 minutes later she was back with a brand new replacement free of charge.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My iMac was well out of warranty when the HDD failed. Took it to the apple store and it was repaired within a day free of charge.

Not so sure that I like the seamlessly connected household there, Eddie - a bit more than a little too much for me, but that is progress and each to their own. I wonder what other unknown devices that your TV and walking machine are flirting with, unless you live in a faraday cage
I know that my every movement is scrutinised by the Chinese secret service, so far they have found me very boring :Eeek:

They know about you now :hi5:

Written from my iPad :blush:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I know that my every movement is scrutinised by the Chinese secret service, so far they have found me very boring :Eeek:

They know about you now :hi5:

Written from my iPad :blush:

That will be the Russians, Eddie........ you should never have worn that fur hat with the red star on the front at the last motorhome show. They now think that you are defective :whistle2:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've never owned an Apple anything. Has my life been a complete waste?

;)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Surely, once you bought the product it has NOTHING to do with the manufacturer or seller what you do with it.
You OWN it, you don't rent it.

Of course , as the owner you can do as like.. use it as a wheel chock.. Apple don't care .. no one has suggested otherwise.

You want to open it up and fix it yourself, go right ahead.. give it to a market trader for a new screen, no problem, Apple don't care .. it's YOURS to do as you wish.. I replaced screen on an old iPhone 4. .. nothing to lose as it it is way out of warranty and now obsolete but it got it working again.. Apple don't care what you do .. as you rightly said.. YOU own it

but if you want to operate an Apple repair shop it requires certification and you agree to follow a strict set of rules that Apple defines.

This protects the consumer and the warranty .. I don't want a screen fitted by an uncertified "Apple" shop that is not using OEM parts even if it is half the price.. and I certainly don't want un-trained people poking about inside my iPhone or Mac..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
@NickNic

You obviously feel that the service you get from an authorised shop is worth the price and that's fine, but you continually refer to anyone else doing the repairs as "back street" thats unfair, some maybe but many are properly run companies, run by competent, enthusiastic staff, some quite possibly ex Apple employees.

As you don't use anything but an authorised shop how can you know how good the others are? :)

Deleted User
Of course , as the owner you can do as like.. use it as a wheel chock.. Apple don't care .. no one has suggested otherwise.

I fear not, never ever managed to load anything onto my ipod touch without an itunes account.......which then proceeded to 'sync' with my laptop without my permission or knowledge.........control freaks!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you like Apple products that's fine, not liking them is fine too ... what amazes me is the price of them though ... yes some say the customer service is great and you get a repair or replacement FOC when your existing one has an issue and is out of warranty BUT you are paying for that up-front when you have to fork out a LOT more money for the Apple version rather than a non-Apple product of the same calibre ...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you like Apple products that's fine, not liking them is fine too ... what amazes me is the price of them though ... yes some say the customer service is great and you get a repair or replacement FOC when your existing one has an issue and is out of warranty BUT you are paying for that up-front when you have to fork out a LOT more money for the Apple version rather than a non-Apple product of the same calibre ...
That was brought to my attention by a (friendly) discussion with a stallholder selling reversing cameras at Lincoln a couple of years ago. I asked him why his camera / monitor kits were selling for around £150 when l could buy the same off eBay for under £40. He said he replaced faulty kit foc without any formal warranty time limit and regularly assisted in person when his customers had difficulty installing it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That was brought to my attention by a (friendly) discussion with a stallholder selling reversing cameras at Lincoln a couple of years ago. I asked him why his camera / monitor kits were selling for around £150 when l could buy the same off eBay for under £40. He said he replaced faulty kit foc without any formal warranty time limit and regularly assisted in person when his customers had difficulty installing it.
... nearly 4 x the price though ....! o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back