Uncomfortable travelling seats (1 Viewer)

molson03

Free Member
Apr 16, 2018
East Anglia
Funster No
We've got a '6' berth moho (read 4 berth plus converted dinette for the dog), which has six travelling seats.

However the seats are shaped like an L, with a flat base and very upright back at right angles to the base. For anything other than a short trip, they become a touch uncomfortable - or so I'm told (as I get the drivers seat!).

Has anyone got any advice on how to make them more comfortable? Is there anything on the market that would help?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
DE3DD342-BD46-4AE3-A464-6A274C9FE09D.jpeg
Whenever I see the inside of new vans the dinette seats always look uncomfortable with the straight upright backs, that’s why when I did my conversion I used a mini bus seat which is very comfy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

molson03

Free Member
Apr 16, 2018
East Anglia
Funster No
That makes a lot of sense, much better. I guess they're not ideal for the coach built (like ours) as they take extra room with the reclined seat backs?

I wonder if you can get some sort of sculpted seat cushions to help? I haven't seen anything out there as yet!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That makes a lot of sense, much better. I guess they're not ideal for the coach built (like ours) as they take extra room with the reclined seat backs?

I wonder if you can get some sort of sculpted seat cushions to help? I haven't seen anything out there as yet!
You could try getting some wedge seat cushions and using them as back-rests instead, or get some lumber support pads, or make some yourself:

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We put cushions behind the bottom of the backrest to make it angled.
You can also get angled back rests of ebay.
Search for. Mesh backrest.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Without wishing to start a british/continental war, I do find the British vans tend to be more upright, its almost a "we build parallel seats like a caravan, if you must have forward facing seats like Johnny foreigner , you'll pay for it" attitude.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours have wedge shaped cushions behind the backrests as standard to give a little bit of rake. We've never used them to carry human passengers though so don't know how effective they are.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
View attachment 225419 Whenever I see the inside of new vans the dinette seats always look uncomfortable with the straight upright backs, that’s why when I did my conversion I used a mini bus seat which is very comfy.

Excellent solution! Some of the PVC dinette seats we tried were too uncomfortable even for lounging, never mind use as belted travel seats. Too firm and upright. Did the designers ever road test them? Obviously not.

Probably the best for travel comfort and safety would seem to be the dinette seat in the Westfalia Columbus 600D. We loved that PVC, but our budget didn't stretch far enough.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back