Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Broken Link Removed
Hoping this will help with finding more wool . If anyone can add info (what other colours???) on the thread that would be great. . Also I tried going back through this thread to find out about where display will be but couldn't find it. Hope what i posted is OK with everyone xxx
Kate

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi hon ... sure it will be fine ...

Thanks for starting a thread appeal ... enthusiasm is priceless. :)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I cut out this jersey cardigan pattern last weekend, sometimes these projects then languish for ages but I have been busy on the sewing machine today , all finished
FBE4CFE4-96B8-4FC8-AFED-7002AEA1E084.jpeg

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Wow @Jenben that looks good I a,ways regret that I never learnt how to sew, I somethimes see material and my imagination runs riot but that's as far as it gets.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Wow @Jenben that looks good I a,ways regret that I never learnt how to sew, I somethimes see material and my imagination runs riot but that's as far as it gets.

Thanks Carol, to be honest I have only taken it up since giving up work. It is often cheaper to buy clothes than to make them myself but I do love a bit of fabric buying, although trying to work through some of my stash at the moment.

My next project, this fabric is from South Africa it’s a bit bright but I am hoping it will make a nice skirt for a little girl.
706A048C-8B9A-4545-BD45-67AACF9C0385.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Right, home from Spain but had a busy week with daughter in hospital twice, hyperemisis in pregnancy AGAIN! I have had 2 x 2am stints driving around Bristol and more hours than I care to count sitting in gynae emergency.
Wish I had started the learning when away because then I would have had something to do other than reading.

I have just spent last half hour trying to hold the wool and the CH. I cannot get the hang of it and keep dropping it. I have tried starting at the beginning of the thread but as I wanted to make a poppy and couldn’t get the hang of a chain anyway, jumped to magic ring. Was that a mistake?
Tried a couple of YouTube videos as well as the photos but hands stiffening up now. I have large clumsy hands and Dupytrens with some numbness and bent fingers....maybe it’s not for me!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Right, home from Spain but had a busy week with daughter in hospital twice, hyperemisis in pregnancy AGAIN! I have had 2 x 2am stints driving around Bristol and more hours than I care to count sitting in gynae emergency.
Wish I had started the learning when away because then I would have had something to do other than reading.

I have just spent last half hour trying to hold the wool and the CH. I cannot get the hang of it and keep dropping it. I have tried starting at the beginning of the thread but as I wanted to make a poppy and couldn’t get the hang of a chain anyway, jumped to magic ring. Was that a mistake?
Tried a couple of YouTube videos as well as the photos but hands stiffening up now. I have large clumsy hands and Dupytrens with some numbness and bent fingers....maybe it’s not for me!

... and relax. Don't tense up or your hands will ache. There is a knack to it all and soon you will wonder why you couldn't do it. :)

Forget the magic ring for now and just make some chains and trebles until you get more confidence.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Its early days just keep practicing. I've got the hang of the poppies now and 90 percent of the time the wool and hook behaves itself :LOL:.

Going to have another go at something else sometime soon but quite happy poppying at present.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Joy I got some in Home Bargains I think it was only 99p if you need some and you haven’t got a home bargains nearby I could send you some:)

:) I got some from Proper Job but thank you. I will look in Home Bargains next week.

I think I will take a lead out of @SueTayBon book and do lots of the centres as they are difficult to see in the dark .. and then do the flower part in the evenings . :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I’m not very patient when I don’t get the hang of the simple bit like holding the thread!
I only just returned to knitting and it took a while to find a way of holding the wool as I could no longer do it the way I used to but at least I knew the stitches.
I sewed a summer dress from a 1943 pattern to go to Goodwood Revival
last year, it was the first time for years I had made anything like that but handling the needles was a challenge. I had to add 5 inches to bodice pieces and 7 inches to skirt (lengths not widths!).

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Lol @Riverbankannie to me the magic circle is flipping magic and a mystery I have not solved yet so my poor Poppy's have to start with a chain stich and get covered up with a button, but it's all practice, @Janine was very patient with me but something mustn't have clicked so getting Polly to show me at Peterborough, then eventually I hope to progress to a festival shawl, but little steps, whereas @movan is now showing off and doing them in her sleep. :) I think it's just practice really.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
the magic circle is flipping magic and a mystery
It was to me Carol and I still sometimes don’t get it quite right first time but I’m getting better as I have to do it for my flower throw that I’m making.
Must do some poppies today but as my ankle is still sore from yesterday I shall sit this afternoon and get poppying :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry not to have got back to everyone sooner. We took the grandson back to his Mum and then had a weekend away - except that the weekend didn't work out as expected and we had to come home early due to martin being unwell ......

I won't be at Old Mo's so I am not sure why @movan tagged me. @Puddleduck I am going to the Lymington Seafood Rally and the Upton Blues Festival and the FFF meets. I was wondering if you are going to any of those as if so I could pass on my poppies to you.

49, 299 -10 = 49, 289

Sorry, no .... we are at Millport, Dumfries and Kelso.

OK girls sorry I haven't been contributing been so so busy with one thing and another anyways I'm ready to start poppy crocheting. I tried to do two of my own design those are the two at the back of the pic. I wasn't happy with them so watched the video on page 33 the poppy in front of the pic is a poppy I did following the video. If your happy with how it looks I will get started. Can't promise to do loads as you know I I have a lot to do with Amanda but I shall do what I can I only have 1ball of red and one ball of black wool so once that's gone I shall have to source more wish me luck, let me know if your happy with them and then I'll carry on with making View attachment 224740 them x
Kind regards Kate x

They look fabulous!

@Ambilkate your poppies are fine I think the minimum size is 2'' across - please correct me if I'm wrong @Puddleduck

2" is what the British Legion says but if any are smaller I will use them anyway :)

I know I was aiming for 1,000 poppies and they are to drape our local war memorial over the week leading up to Remembrance Sunday and then for the week of the 100 years since the signing of The Treaty of Versailles (28th June 1919 / 2019). Our war memorial is one of the ones dated 1919. I am hoping we will be able to use them several times for different anniversaries.

I have been buying yarn in Poundland / Poundworld and also Home Bargains / B&M Bargains. I also made an offer on ebay and had that accepted but when the yarn came it was more pink than red and the white was variegated shades of grey but never mind, it will be used.

Once I have finished unloading the van I will count the poppies I made whilst we were away and subtract from the total. :)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Got some bright red wool today :D and black :(. The black is too thick but it's the only one they had in the Chino shop. Sooo still struggling with the middles. Got some buttons for the ones already made though.

I've tried to make a small circle with the black wool and I've managed to make some but it's taking longer to do the centre than the rest of the poppy. Would a magic circle work? I've never done one but I'll give it a go. Otherwise it's a rethink or stitching the centre's.

Anyway I've made another 11 (not for scrutinizing though :LOL:)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Got some bright red wool today :D and black :(. The black is too thick but it's the only one they had in the Chino shop. Sooo still struggling with the middles. Got some buttons for the ones already made though.

I've tried to make a small circle with the black wool and I've managed to make some but it's taking longer to do the centre than the rest of the poppy. Would a magic circle work? I've never done one but I'll give it a go. Otherwise it's a rethink or stitching the centre's.

Anyway I've made another 11 (not for scrutinizing though :LOL:)

Just a thought Judith are you using a thicker crochet hook with the black,wool being thicker it may be easier if you do

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just a thought Judith are you using a thicker crochet hook with the black,wool being thicker it may be easier if you do

Yes, but the wool is too thick. The middle is bigger than the rest of the poppy :LOL:.

I've made a black one but it's twice the size of the others I've done.

I'll try another shop for some thinner wool.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Terrible photos, the colour is all wrong. The middle in the red one was done with a chain of six, looped, and hooked into it. You can imagine the thickness of the wool from that :LOL:. Trouble is it's so fiddly to get started it takes too long to continue that way.

20180416_222100.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back