Which is best GPS App to download (1 Viewer)

Titchdog

Free Member
Aug 3, 2017
Funster No
we use a GPS App on my iPad instead of our TomTo. But the volume is poor and it won’t expand to show a close up of the journey. I don’t like it ! What is a good GPS App, with good clear volume and good graphics? Don’t mind paying but free is good too.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we use a GPS App on my iPad instead of our TomTo. But the volume is poor and it won’t expand to show a close up of the journey. I don’t like it ! What is a good GPS App, with good clear volume and good graphics? Don’t mind paying but free is good too.
"here maps" downloadable from play store or whatever its called on ipad

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
I am using Sygic Truck GPS app. Good clear screen on an ipad, useful warnings for speed limits, cameras, weight & height limits, sharp bends, etc. Also like that you can have a sidebar with current speed, turning previews, etc. Easier to check your speed on the app than on the Ducato speedo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Another vote for CoPilot, Sygic truck is good and I have a license but it's crap to load your own POIs so remain firm CP users, with 2 licenses so wife can have it on her tablet too which is useful at complicated junctions.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I manage to get around using Google maps, used it over seas and at home best free app on the internet....(y)

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Another vote for "Here we Go" . Got it on my phone and tablet , you can download the maps and use offline(y). I also have Maps.me for the ease of putting your own poi's on it . Again works offline.
John

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Google navigation works for us - always up-to-date and has free live traffic info.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another vote for CoPilot, Sygic truck is good and I have a license but it's crap to load your own POIs so remain firm CP users, with 2 licenses so wife can have it on her tablet too which is useful at complicated junctions.
Hubby said he doesn't have a problem loading up his own POIs onto Sygic Truck but its not quite so quick/easy as TomTom was (pre-Linux versions).

Sygic POIs have to be in 'upi' format and have to be added to the app country by country - obviously in order to download and use POIs you need to already have the mapping on your Android device!

He gets most of his from POI Plaza: https://poiplaza.com/?p=co

He's just given me a crash course on how to do it so I think the below is correct! :D

First you need to locate the POIs you want and download them, in the below example I'm looking for POIs for Belgium
  1. Laptop/Computer: Create a folder on your laptop/computer (NOT onto your android device) called eg 'Sygic POIs - Belgium' and within it a sub-folder called 'Downloads - Belgium'

2. POIs info: Go on the POI Plaza site (or wherever you want to get your POIs from) and find the zip file for the POIs you want, eg Aldi in Belgium

3. Download: Download the POIs to your 'Sygic POIS - Belgium' folder, repeat for any other POIs you want (eg Lidl, vets etc)

4. Unzip: Go to your 'Sygic POIs - Belgium' folder and unzip the Aldi file and it will create it's own folder called 'B-Aldi' (within the Sygic POIs - Belgium folder)

5. Copy: Go into the 'B-Aldi' sub-folder and copy the POI files within it (a bitmap image file and the data file which has the POI location info in it) [you don't need the text file]

6. Paste: Put these 2 files into your 'Downloads - Belgium' folder

7. Repeat steps 1. to 6. until you've got all the POIs you want for each country

You can now start to put them onto your Android device as follows:

1. Connect: Plug your android device into your laptop/computer (or connect via WIFI if it has that capability)

2. Transfer POIs: On your laptop/computer go to the folder 'Downloads - Belgium' folder and copy the contents (not the folder itself)

3. Android: On your Android device go to:

Android > Data > Com.Sygic > Files > Maps > Import
    (if there isn't an Import folder already create one)

4. Paste: Paste the POIs into the Import folder

5. Sygic: On your Android device start Sygic and it will tell you it's found a new POI database asking if you want to import it - say yes, it will then import them for that country and tell you when it's finished.

6. Stop Sygic (exit the app)

7. Repeat steps 2. to 6. for each country

Good luck! :D2

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have Co-pilot and can't complain.. it works really well...

Nikki's also Co-pilot and thinks she's better than the electronic version

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I've always used MS AutoRoute (2010) on a laptop working with a blue tooth GPS receiver, I did try the 2013 edition but didn't like it. I also use Co-pilot on an Android tablet. I have hundreds of POIs of my own relating to various campsites and Aires which are on both devices plus my own private Google Map.

Now my question is...

Is there an application for a PC that will provide all the facilities of AutoRoute? i.e. works as a SatNav, can manage almost unlimited POIs, can embed hyperlinks via the POIs etc.

Rod

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hubby said he doesn't have a problem loading up his own POIs onto Sygic Truck but its not quite so quick/easy as TomTom was (pre-Linux versions).

Sygic POIs have to be in 'upi' format and have to be added to the app country by country - obviously in order to download and use POIs you need to already have the mapping on your Android device!

He gets most of his from POI Plaza: https://poiplaza.com/?p=co

He's just given me a crash course on how to do it so I think the below is correct! :D

First you need to locate the POIs you want and download them, in the below example I'm looking for POIs for Belgium
  1. Laptop/Computer: Create a folder on your laptop/computer (NOT onto your android device) called eg 'Sygic POIs - Belgium' and within it a sub-folder called 'Downloads - Belgium'

2. POIs info: Go on the POI Plaza site (or wherever you want to get your POIs from) and find the zip file for the POIs you want, eg Aldi in Belgium

3. Download: Download the POIs to your 'Sygic POIS - Belgium' folder, repeat for any other POIs you want (eg Lidl, vets etc)

4. Unzip: Go to your 'Sygic POIs - Belgium' folder and unzip the Aldi file and it will create it's own folder called 'B-Aldi' (within the Sygic POIs - Belgium folder)

5. Copy: Go into the 'B-Aldi' sub-folder and copy the POI files within it (a bitmap image file and the data file which has the POI location info in it) [you don't need the text file]

6. Paste: Put these 2 files into your 'Downloads - Belgium' folder

7. Repeat steps 1. to 6. until you've got all the POIs you want for each country

You can now start to put them onto your Android device as follows:

1. Connect: Plug your android device into your laptop/computer (or connect via WIFI if it has that capability)

2. Transfer POIs: On your laptop/computer go to the folder 'Downloads - Belgium' folder and copy the contents (not the folder itself)

3. Android: On your Android device go to:

Android > Data > Com.Sygic > Files > Maps > Import
    (if there isn't an Import folder already create one)

4. Paste: Paste the POIs into the Import folder

5. Sygic: On your Android device start Sygic and it will tell you it's found a new POI database asking if you want to import it - say yes, it will then import them for that country and tell you when it's finished.

6. Stop Sygic (exit the app)

7. Repeat steps 2. to 6. for each country

Good luck! :D2
I never said it wasn't possible, but neither is walking to Ethiopia to get a root canal without anaesthetic, I just would not choose it.
;)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I’ve been trying to load POIs onto maps.me on my iPad. Trouble is, maps.me is not in my activities list, so I can’t just click “import to maps.me”. Any ideas anyone??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I never said it wasn't possible, but neither is walking to Ethiopia to get a root canal without anaesthetic, I just would not choose it.
;)
I never said you had ... I just gave details of how he does it without a problem, helpful to others hopefully.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back