Insurance for under 25s (1 Viewer)

W

Woooodyyy

Deleted User
Hi all,

My partner and I are looking into the possibility of investing in a van and converting it to a campervan, to travel around Europe for around 6 months next year.

However, something I'm constantly finding problems with is the insurance. We don't want to spend time and money on doing up a vehicle, only to find we can't actually use it! We don't, however, mind paying up to £2000 annually for the cover if necessary.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice on this? Is it actually possible to get insurance for under 25s on a campervan? Once the van is modified and sent off to the DVLA for reclassification as a campervan, will it be possible? I know companies pretty much refuse point blank to insure under 25s on modified vehicles, but surely if it's been reclassified, it's no longer a modified vehicle?

We've both just turned 23, I've been driving for over 5 years and no accidents, so the possibility of not being able to get insurance is grinding my gears a bit!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
when my lads were young we found coop to be great.
C.I.S insurance try a google .
and they covered then abroad.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You should find it cheaper to insure camper than van . It can also save you money to have your dad as named driver on policy (if he has good record) even if he might hardly ever drive it :)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
As said above, once classified by DVLA as a 'motor caravan' insurance is usually cheaper.

It also depends on where you live, No Claim Bonus, licence, etc

I suggest you try Adrian Flux, as they seem to be van in conversion & converted van friendly, also you speak to a real person - give them a call.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
You should find it cheaper to insure camper than van . It can also save you money to have your dad as named driver on policy (if he has good record) even if he might hardly ever drive it :)
We have also found that it makes a big reduction in cost to have one or both parents ( or other appropriate adults) as named drivers but be honest about who is the main driver and that person should also be the policyholder. Named drivers do not have to share your address

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back