This Is The Sort Of Behaviour That Makes Me Hate The Apple Company (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Control freaks......unfortunately bought an ipod a few years ago:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So Apple say that their authorised repair shops must use genuine parts to protect their customers from fake or copy parts.

Seems quite reasonable really.

Martin
Yes but don’t forget that the apple bashing bandwagon is a very fashionable one to be on. Same as every other large evil corporation......

Me, I like and buy their products for a very good reason. They work seamlessly.

Plus of course that smug superior (better than Samsung/LG ) feeling, so a friend tells me......... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

*no Samsung/LG owners were hurt in the making of this post

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
So Apple say that their authorised repair shops must use genuine parts to protect their customers from fake or copy parts.

Seems quite reasonable really.

Martin
Is it? then you'd be quite happy having to buy genuine parts for your car, motorbike, motorhome etc, whilst small motor factor shops are forced to close down?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is it? then you'd be quite happy having to buy genuine parts for your car, motorbike, motorhome etc, whilst small motor factor shops are forced to close down?
If I put my car into a BMW garage I would expect genuine parts and would expect BMW to "police" the agreement they have with their franchised dealers, if I choose not to use a franchised dealer or a "back street garage" I would expect and be happy with non genuine parts.

Martin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A high quality product that has a reputation to maintain..

if you want to repair Apple products then get authorised.. simple

there is an Apple authorised repair shop in Ipswich, uses genuine parts and gives a genuine Apple warranty.. typically charges no more for a screen replacement than a 'knock off ' market trader.. I've had two iPhone screens replaced .. they also repair Mac laptops iPads etc ..

but it's Apple knocking time again.. comes round as regular as clockwork.. gets boring :rolleyes:

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
If I put my car into a BMW garage I would expect genuine parts and would expect BMW to "police" the agreement they have with their franchised dealers, if I choose not to use a franchised dealer or a "back street garage" I would expect and be happy with non genuine parts.

Martin
What Apple are (trying) to do is eliminate 'back street garages', so you have to take your car computer whatever to a franchised dealer.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have been moved into apple products by my daughters, kicking and screaming I was too

But we have fallen foul of Apples warranty, brilliant for 12 months, but even a product changed at say 10 months old for a brand new one then only comes with 2 month warranty left

I have a flickering grey band at the top of my screen, renders the touch screen inoperative and randomly opens apps etc, Apple fix a £500 board, new phone £550 surprise surprise o_O even apple shops cringe at the number of failures for this fault they have to sell the whole board repair option, but most dont bother and buy a new phone for about the same money

Non Apple shops know it is bad soldering of 2 components, £100 to fix, but apple will not allow that repair

I am still on the fence, I do like the product, especially now I have a 6 plus with much bigger screen, but not keen on high cost repairs / upgardes in my imminent retirement

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What Apple are (trying) to do is eliminate 'back street garages', so you have to take your car computer whatever to a franchised dealer.

I recall Audi going for that with a locked bonnet so that only their garages could open, they didn't get away with it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The case linked by the OP seems to be about somebody importing from China screens for apple iPhone's and they carry the Apple logo even though they are copies, I had a business and invested time and money in developing part for our company to sell, OK these parts were copied and I couldn't afford to stop it but at least they didn't put our company logo on the "knock off" parts. Apple may be trying to do as you describe but its not what I read in the linked article.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Aren't folk wonderful.

A factory turns out car spares.

Some they put in fancy boxes with well known logos on them.

The others (EXACTLY THE SAME) they put in less fancy boxes with their own logo on them.

One sells for half the price... guess which one!

JJ :cool:

And sometimes a dodgy factory produces "copy" parts that might last a fraction of the life of the originals or they might not even be safe, how do we tell the difference especially as in this case if the copy part carries the original manufacturers logo, buyer beware.

Martin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
JJ since you don't own any Apple products, and no plans to buy.. how can you hate a company and it's products you have had no personal dealings with by just reading a news paper report ?

I have been an Apple user for almost 20 years.. I should have said , very happy and contented Apple user..

I've also owned Samsung phones, Dell computers , Blackberry phones et al. .. some were good others not so..

Apple product and service are second to none, you pay a premium price for a premium product..

and I haven't mentioned the security yet.. unless you jailbreak an iPhone, and install non Apple apps, the chances of your data being hacked are almost zero.. FBI tried hard enough and failed.

Am I biased , yes of course , just as you are with your Samsung whatsitcalled thingy you can't live without.. but I don't go on and try to knock it down

samsung-copy-cat.jpg

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I recall Audi going for that with a locked bonnet so that only their garages could open, they didn't get away with it.
That would of course be their prerogative and as long as the purchaser knew what the rules were "no problem" I wouldn't buy one though(y)

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
And sometimes a dodgy factory produces "copy" parts that might last a fraction of the life of the originals or they might not even be safe, how do we tell the difference especially as in this case if the copy part carries the original manufacturers logo, buyer beware.

Martin
If you are talking about expendables like brake and clutch parts, oil, filters, tyres, bulbs, batteries, springs, dampers, steering racks, bearings, wiper blades, etc, then there are many manufacturers turning out excellent products who have a reputation they can ill-afford to see tarnished. Most if not all supply the vehicle OEM trade too. I can't see any reason not to use their parts?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are talking about expendables like brake and clutch parts, oil, filters, tyres, bulbs, batteries, springs, dampers, steering racks, bearings, wiper blades, etc, then there are many manufacturers turning out excellent products who have a reputation they can ill-afford to see tarnished. Most if not all supply the vehicle OEM trade too. I can't see any reason not to use their parts?
Well we were originally talking about Apple but the analogy crossed over to automotive parts so OK how do you know a "good clutch" from a bad one if it doesn't come in a box with a name on that you recognise as being respected, and if that is the only way where would be be if those companies did not protect their name and trademark #confused.com.

Martin

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Well we were originally talking about Apple but the analogy crossed over to automotive parts so OK how do you know a "good clutch" from a bad one if it doesn't come in a box with a name on that you recognise as being respected, and if that is the only way where would be be if those companies did not protect their name and trademark #confused.com.

Martin
Its actually more like a car manufacturer refusing to allow anyone other than their dealer network buy or supply any genuine pars for their cars or any pattern parts. I recon they would be done for unfair trading pretty soon.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Its actually more like a car manufacturer refusing to allow anyone other than their dealer network buy or supply any genuine pars for their cars or any pattern parts. I recon they would be done for unfair trading pretty soon.
I don't really know the ins and outs of the motor trade other than when I went into our local parts place for an IVECO exhaust it was not from IVECO but a copy that didn't look very good or come with all the gaskets and things that I needed so I went down the road to an IVECO dealer to get the genuine part as it was better and not much more money(y)

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Very easily in the case of Apple...

(I hate the Klu Klux Klan too but I have had no personal dealings with them either.)

JJ :cool:
A lot of people don't like the idea of Benidorm but love it when they give it a go so you could be wrong about Apple and KKK.

Martin

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
A couple of years ago I replaced the screen on one of our hairdressers IPhone 5, cost £29.00 if I remember correctly, 30 min job no idea what an official Apple shop would charge.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That would of course be their prerogative and as long as the purchaser knew what the rules were "no problem" I wouldn't buy one though(y)
Martin

It was quite a while ago and I think they were trying to push it as EU law, for safety reasons of course.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Martin

I was to buy it it would be in a box with a name l recognised - just not the name of the vehicle manufacturer. I can't see any difference with electronic parts - if you find a supplier of Chinese electronics that you trust then buy your spares from that source. I know it's more difficult to make that judgement but it doesn't mean a customer needing a repair should be denied the choice.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... you mean like habitation checks ....! :rolleyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Macs are not all they're cracked up to be. I never turn my iMac off and I had to reboot it twice last year. Was going to take it back, but its behaving now, and no reboots this year yet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back