Water system leak - how do I get at it? (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2016
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Help! Taking our Forte PVC out for the first time this year have hit a problem. Filled up the water tank and turned on the pump to see water pouring out from the bottom of the van. Found a pipe in the toilet compartment had come loose and water was pouring out. Reseated that and put on a new hose clip and some silicon sealant for good measure (see pic 2). Turned the water pump back on and it pressurised and stopped running. .. then... noticed water running down the black conduit at the top of the toilet compartment (see pic 1). No sign of any leakage inside the under-bed water pump / tank area. How do I get at the relevant area without taking the whole inside of the van apart?View media item 22820View media item 22819View media item 22818

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is this like yours?

upload_2018-4-15_21-52-28.png

upload_2018-4-15_21-47-7.png

If you can't access it via the cassette locker door then it looks like you might have to do a major bit of dismantling I'm afraid.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
508EF8A4-2D81-41EF-81E8-11FF48E23487.jpeg

I have no idea where that is as there's no reference point being a close-up, but it is a waste pipe.
If it's under the wash basin it simply pushes back on the basin plug hole waste stub

OP
OP
T
Nov 18, 2016
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
That top picture is the top of the toilet cassette compartment. It looks like a water pipe but has obviously been used as a conduit for wiring.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

in the photo of the water centre - the white 'gadget' - which I assume is a damper for water flow stabilisation is mounted entirely opposite than ours ie ours is mounted so the chamber is pointing down which means there is always water in it. when I filled our water up for the first time, I discovered it had 'burst', probably due to the water trapped inside freezing due to the recent bad weather. judging by the additional fixing holes it has happened previously aswell!.

the way yours is mounted makes more sense and allows for it to be emptied fully when draining down for the winter.

does anyone know of any reason why I shouldn't refit mine the 'sensible' way round?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
@MisterB I was thinking fitting 1 and did a bit of research - what I understood was upright with connection at the bottom.
Ring the manufacturer's help line if it don't say for sure n the fitting instructions with the replacement
@Teithwr from looking a the pictures it looks like the mixer tap or sink waste is leaking. If u cant get a hand up behind the glossy white bathroom panelnear the flush control then u will have to remove the central panel. Looks like its screwed both sides and I suspect there will be a serious amount of silicon to cut through.
Edit - maybe u could pop the flush control out to get a hand in.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
in the photo of the water centre - the white 'gadget' - which I assume is a damper for water flow stabilisation is mounted entirely opposite than ours ie ours is mounted so the chamber is pointing down which means there is always water in it. when I filled our water up for the first time, I discovered it had 'burst', probably due to the water trapped inside freezing due to the recent bad weather. judging by the additional fixing holes it has happened previously aswell!.

the way yours is mounted makes more sense and allows for it to be emptied fully when draining down for the winter.

does anyone know of any reason why I shouldn't refit mine the 'sensible' way round?
That is how they should be installed - air at the top.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Personally I would remove the gob of silicone as it won’t help mechanically.
If you have an issue in the future it will just frustrate you trying to clean it up then.
Just a thought :)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Berni, Tony - thanks for the response - it didn't make sense the way mine was installed -its asking for freeze damage to occur as it cant be drained in the winter ! I'm not even sure its required and perhaps was added as an aftermarket 'improvement' - especially as it seems to have suffered frost damage and been replaced previously.

my replacement didn't come with packaging as it had been set aside for another customer, but they were also waiting for additional parts, so the stockists let me have it as they can get a new one by wednesday

to the OP sorry for adding to your thread, but I always try to search before posting a new thread in case the question has already been answered !

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

Modern ‘accumulators’ have a bladder or diaphragm inside to prevent air escaping and allow it to be mounted in any position. I’d agree, however, that vertical is the best option where possible. The very early ones filled up with water over time and needed to be re-pressurised from time to time.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
what does this type of 'accumulator' actually do? it doesn't look as though there is a separate diaphragm it looks more like a damper to equalise flow as opposed to removing air from the system (which again would only work if mounted opposite to how mine is !)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Berni, Tony - thanks for the response - it didn't make sense the way mine was installed -its asking for freeze damage to occur as it cant be drained in the winter ! I'm not even sure its required and perhaps was added as an aftermarket 'improvement' - especially as it seems to have suffered frost damage and been replaced previously.

my replacement didn't come with packaging as it had been set aside for another customer, but they were also waiting for additional parts, so the stockists let me have it as they can get a new one by wednesday

to the OP sorry for adding to your thread, but I always try to search before posting a new thread in case the question has already been answered !
They're well worth having to prevent the pump short-cycling when using taps partly open. They also prevent the water coming in spurts under the same conditions. I've always fitted one to pressure systems I've had in the past (and my latest).

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
what does this type of 'accumulator' actually do? it doesn't look as though there is a separate diaphragm it looks more like a damper to equalise flow as opposed to removing air from the system (which again would only work if mounted opposite to how mine is !)

Damper is another name for the same thing. They are there to smooth the flow and stop rapid on/off switching of an over-enthusiatistic pump.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back