Cite Europe or Aire etiquette (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi
Having never stopped on an Aire yet, we are thinking of stopping at Cite Europe after a 5pm tunnel crossing. As its August, I'm expecting it to be busy. I've read reports of don't park in the open, don't park near trees etc, is there an etiquette to follow? ie how much space do you leave between motorhomes and do you keep your door from facing your neighbours?

Thanks

Paul

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi
Having never stopped on an Aire yet, we are thinking of stopping at Cite Europe after a 5pm tunnel crossing. As its August, I'm expecting it to be busy. I've read reports of don't park in the open, don't park near trees etc, is there an etiquette to follow? ie how much space do you leave between motorhomes and do you keep your door from facing your neighbours?

Thanks

Paul
The spaces are marked out and when quiet, people leave one space between MH. I wouldn’t worry about whereabouts you park in the Cite Europe Aire. If busy and have to park immediately adjacent, then, if possible, park with hab door away from neighbour but it’s not always possible as you could have a Brit RHD van on one side and a LHD one on the other.

Don’t worry about it, all will become clear once you do it. Just follow others lead.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Things will vary from aire to aire. There’s no set etiquette as such. Just look at what the locals are doing in each place and then copy them.

Above all use your common sense. If it’s a quiet aire with plenty of space by all means make use of it. If it’s busy you’ll see how close you’ll be expected to park. If you try and leave too much space someone will swiftly make you aware (y)

On the really busy ones in tourist destinations you’ll have enough room to open your door and that’s all you’ll have. In more out of the way quieter places you could well find that you’re the only people there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The cite europe is really just a huge car park other aires are often smaller . Just do the same as the others.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Behave as you would like others to and they might follow suit.
Cite Europe is not a typical Aire, so don't expect many others like that.
In season, you may need to arrive at an Aire early (soon after noon) to get a spot if it's a popular one.

Reactions: Pia

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don’t forget your generator, but don’t use it after 3am.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don’t forget your generator, but don’t use it after 3am.

Or if you see a French van with a generator running. "Mon sewer arveh un amp or de for un anglish". He won't need all the output of his generator.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
just go and do it, after the first couple you will see there are no set rules, and no two aires the same.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
It's a VERY LARGE CAR PARK ( it's free! and a sign saying that MH's can park there) not an "aire", you will have much room as you want. No facs but i understand there are at the near by filling station.

colyboy

OP
OP
camel
Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks everyone, helpful as always

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are the only van on an Aire and a French van comes in don't be surprised if they park so close to you that you can't open this your habitation door, they don't like being lonely.:)

I've even seen a French van ask another French man to put his step in do he could get nice and close.:rofl:

And if it's a paying Aire where a man comes round to collect the money in the morning, expect to get woken up early when all the French scarper to avoid paying.:D2

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
As you are on a 5pm crossing arriving at 6:35 have you considered pushing on for an hour or so rather than stay in Cite de Europe ?.

The shops, supermarket and restaurants will still be open for a couple of hours but suspect there will be a lot of arrivals and early morning departures which may not make for the most peaceful of first nights in France.

For example we often use it for a last meal in France and then a 4:30 start for an early crossing back home and you will find vans coming and going a lot of the time.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Few reports of bikes being stolen at night.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Few reports of bikes being stolen at night.

yes, not surprised.. that can happen on any aire or site.. lost one at Capbreton aire.. cut off during the night..

Van next to us at Gravelines lost two chairs, left stashed under van at night..

Best deterrent is a bike loop alarm such as Stikeback.. otherwise they just take them.. or buy a van with a garage ..

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The Gendarme's usually patrol the Cite Europe aire/car park fairly frequently. We were there last Thursday night and saw them drive round several times.
We stop there a lot and have yet to see anything or anyone 'dodgy'.
It's not the most peaceful of places to stop as there is a background hum of distant traffic and train noise as well as vans coming and going at times. Having said that, we always sleep well there.
Above all, it's very convenient and being a trainee FLT, it's free. (y):)

Richard.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
CB82BAF5-9582-4849-879D-016AEFDD2163.jpeg

Love thy neighbor. This is a very popular aire. Some you’ll be the only van there, then a French van turns up and parks right next to you. In Arras I have shaken hands with the van next to me through our windows :cool:

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Aire etiquette??

If you tow a car park it elsewhere, went to Watten couldn't stay as some frenchie had taken the last space with their car !

Have ended up in a busy cite europe ,rather than a peaceful last night on a nice quiet aire.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I parked about 5 foot from a cloggie on a busy aire at St Tropez, he came out and gestured that I was blocking his sunlight, so I moved over another 4 foot, only to have a French van shoehorn himself in about 15 minutes later. :LOL:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I don’t understand why people park so close. We were on an Aire the size of 4 football pitches. We parked right away from the crowd only to have a MH pull right up close... then another pulled into the gap between our two vehicles. There was so much available space there was absolutely no need to park so close. We moved on.

Are they doing this because they feel safer herded together?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don’t understand why people park so close. We were on an Aire the size of 4 football pitches. We parked right away from the crowd only to have a MH pull right up close... then another pulled into the gap between our two vehicles. There was so much available space there was absolutely no need to park so close. We moved on.

I take it they were French.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

There's actually some truth to that ... depending on what the aire is like ... if it's need the town or on the outskirts, or in the country, we may park next to other MHs, or even in-between them ... this is something we've done more since our MH got bricked in Holland during the early hours on a Sunday ... we were at the end of the row and the only one that got hit! :(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There's actually some truth to that ... depending on what the aire is like ... if it's need the town or on the outskirts, or in the country, we may park next to other MHs, or even in-between them ... this is something we've done more since our MH got bricked in Holland during the early hours on a Sunday ... we were at the end of the row and the only one that got hit! :(
must admit we do it as well, mostly though to keep a bit of order in the parking, what do you need a lot of space for , you arent supposed to have tables and chairs out or anything , i know people do , we do as well, but thats beside the point, if everyone just parks willy nilly and the aire starts getting full you are only going to have to move to let others in so might as well start off right.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Given the choice, we tend to park beside UK registered vans if abroad and in transit, perhaps not close enough to see in but close enough for anyone passing to think we were in convoy i.e. would support each other if any issues arose.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I take it they were French.

Not English... not sure of origin as we moved away :D

This particular Aire had no line markings and was just a massive tarmaced area right by the harbour mouth. When I say they parked close they were no more than about 6ft from us. Too darned close for comfort!

If they’re parking like that due to fear then why go motorhoming? I think if you’re going to get robbed it will happen no matter whether you have someone parked alongside or not. Anyone coming into our vehicle would risk being bitten.... by our dog! And/or clouted round the head with something heavy... by me! ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back