Legal requirements in France......advice please (1 Viewer)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
A question if I may please about the spare bulbs.

I’m off to France in the car in July, and all external lights are LEDs...what’s the expectation there, please? I’m not sure how I’d change the light should it fail, I suspect you’d need to buy a new unit!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
A question if I may please about the spare bulbs.

I’m off to France in the car in July, and all external lights are LEDs...what’s the expectation there, please? I’m not sure how I’d change the light should it fail, I suspect you’d need to buy a new unit!

TBH I don't think I have spare bulbs let alone if they were LEDs, but major difference is that within a few seconds I have a list of excuses I can give them in reply.
Now if a foreigner, I would make sure I have what's needed to have my lights changed if any goes faulty. Then if caught you can tell them "sorry I have never been able to do the job" Désolée, je n'ai jamais su faire ça"
To get the right pronunciation enter this in google translate and press on the little sign speaker. You should not worry too much as the lights nowdays are very difficult to reach. I don't think the Police would annoy you with it.
If in despair, PM me to have my mobile number so you can call me if any prob!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
As a continental colleague said to me (you have to imagine the French accent).....
“Sure you need a set of spare bulbs, but any set of spare bulbs will do”.

Seriously though, there’s an AA website where you can download quite good pdf docs of different requirements and hints for various countries.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
OK

So you need everything stated above, and the warning triangles should be taken

BUT

I've only ever been asked for my passport.......................

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
:Eeek: Shiska? Religious bent? Wot's that?.....;)
I had to look it up before I posted, it’s word that is a derogatory terms for “a non Jewish female”.

In English, the word Gentile is used to describe a person not of the Jewish faith, but not derogatory.

So I think Lot Lover was making an international pun (y)

I thought the word “gentile” in French meant “kind”...as in generous, nice, and so on.. which was what I meant !

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I carry a spare set of bulbs, some of them may even be the right ones, though some are a pig to fix.

I returned from the continent Yesterday with, according to the display, one left hand rear light and one reversing light dud. It goes in for annual service on Monday so the garage can fix em.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Sorry BULBS are planted in the earth, You may be talking about LAMPS and Luminaires.

Once and Engineer ALWAYS an Engineer.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Sorry BULBS are what you fit in LAMPS...

Once a Mechanic, ALWAYS a Mechanic...:D

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
And there in lies the difference between reality and the bill to get you vehicle serviced. Ha Ha.

scrapjack

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Andover, Hants.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7/8 years
Just about everything has been mentioned, however, there is a need to ensure everything is in date. Particularly I am thinking of the Breathalyzer, only because I know the two I have are out of date.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just about everything has been mentioned, however, there is a need to ensure everything is in date. Particularly I am thinking of the Breathalyzer, only because I know the two I have are out of date.
Forget it. They are not required.

Richard.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Forget it. They are not required.

Richard.

Richard, I am sure you know that there is a law 'requiring' them but there was never one passed to establish the penalty - so carrying them is pointless, therefore in practice 'not required', as you say.

Unfortunately that does not stop people marketing them as 'required' e.g. Ports, Ferry Companies etc., but it is a bit of a con.

Geoff

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Richard, I am sure you know that there is a law 'requiring' them but there was never one passed to establish the penalty - so carrying them is pointless, therefore in practice 'not required', as you say.

Unfortunately that does not stop people marketing them as 'required' e.g. Ports, Ferry Companies etc., but it is a bit of a con.

Geoff
Yes, I'm aware that the letter of the law says that they should be carried but that there is no penalty for not carrying them.
This is one of those areas where the law really is 'an ass'.

I remember searching for them in France when the law was first introduced. Being a law abiding sort of chap I looked for them and they couldn't be found so didn't bother again. That was several years ago and I haven't bothered since despite spending long periods in France each year.

Richard.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I thought the fine for not having 2 was €11. If you used 1 then you wouldn't have 2 so would need to carry 3.
But then it was a non-starter law.
My son picked a pack up on ferry, asked me if mine where in date , no son no longer needed. A male shelf stacker reared up and aggressively told me they were.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We pulled up at a stop sign in Brittany, on tickover, wife said clear here, my side was clear so pulled out. Gendarmes pulled me in and i was fined! On leaving he said in English your wheels must not turn!

Trafico officers require wheels stopped for the count of 4 here.

I had my mh repaired in Portugal this year and they did not need my V5, I know that's not France but it is on mainland Europe. I think you maybe came across a jobsworth.
No quite common here. The local Ford dealers spare parts man will not serve you without the chassis number & only grudgingly with a registration number. :DEven better is to go in there asking for parts which were never originally fitted to your vehicle.:sneaky:Utter nightmare, but hysterical :LOL:at the time. I got them in the end even though it was like a monty python sketch.

I thought the fine for not having 2 was €11. If you used 1 then you wouldn't have 2 so would need to carry 3.
But then it was a non-starter law.
My son picked a pack up on ferry, asked me if mine where in date , no son no longer needed. A male shelf stacker reared up and aggressively told me they were.
But you only had to carry 1 not 2. You couldn't be asked to carry any more than the required amount & , as I posted before ,you couldn't be asked to actually use that as it would leave you with none & they would therefore be ' conspiring to commit an offence ' by actually asking. So it was never even a starter.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, I'm aware that the letter of the law says that they should be carried but that there is no penalty for not carrying them.
This is one of those areas where the law really is 'an ass'.

I remember searching for them in France when the law was first introduced. Being a law abiding sort of chap I looked for them and they couldn't be found so didn't bother again. That was several years ago and I haven't bothered since despite spending long periods in France each year.

Richard.

I was quite sure you did know. I just posted to add the warning that the marketing 'as required' is a con., and why.

Geoff

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Keep your v5 safe with you, if if a disaster occurs and your van is stolen the French police will not get involved until you show your v5. Enjoy your trip lol.

There was I all smug as I have a digital safe installed and thought "I know where I will store my original documents" but if the vehicle is stolen.... there goes my docs too!

I will take a photo of my V5 on my phone for the French police until an original copy can be obtained?

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
There was I all smug as I have a digital safe installed and thought "I know where I will store my original documents" but if the vehicle is stolen.... there goes my docs too!

I will take a photo of my V5 on my phone for the French police until an original copy can be obtained?

It amuses me that it is a legal requirement to carry registration documents in some countries, but I have seen British Police advice not to do so, and it is not a legal requirement in UK.

So if the vehicle is legal in UK without the V5C what happened to the the idea that it must be legal in country of registration?

Just askin'

Geoff

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It’s a requirement of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic (the same treaty that specifies that a vehicle being driven in a foreign country must meet the legal requirements of its country of registration) that a vehicle being driven in a foreign country must be carrying its registration document.

Absolutelyalan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Chalabre, South of France
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 2008
I've only just come to this thread....

We spend most of our time in France and the gendarmes do carry out random checks and they do ask to see all your docs. We carry a colour copy of our V5 which is indistinguishable from the original.

A couple of other points - as a previous poster said, you need hi vis vests for everyone in the vehicle, but they must be reachable from the seats before you exit the vehicle, so no stashing them away in a side locker.

Another point to remember is that whenever you come to a town/village and the name sign is bordered in red, that is automatically a 50kpmh limit unless it states otherwise. Most places make a token gesture at slowing you down with a 70 sign - usually about 100 metres from the start of the 50! Assume the limit continues until you pass the town name with a line through it.

And now for the good news - in July, the government intends to reduce the national limit for non-dual carriageway roads from 90 to 80. At the moment there's a lot of yelling from drivers but I'm not sure if it will make much difference.

For all that, France is beautiful and a great place to tour. They love camping cars, as they call us, as witnessed by the many aires. Oh, and on the subject of aires, they are officially classified as car parks so you can get into trouble if you open your awning, set out the picnic tables, hang out the washing, etc.

I hope all that helps. Come on over and have a great time.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya beware that traffic coming from the right has priority in some small villages even if you are on main road it makes you jump if a car comes straight out of a side road some or most main roads have a passage protected sign

Last edited:

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Podney
Just back from Bergundy, went through Arras, and into champers territory, and across to Bordeaux land, so you'll have a good drive.
All the above. "Airwave" got it all including one breathalyzer needed. API is advance passenger information for the Eurotunnel, always filling that out.
Cheers

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Been stopped twice in France over the past 4 years.
in 2014 they set up a road block in the middle of a small town and breathalysed everyone passing through. Despite switching my headlights off as they were not aligned for France then switching them on again when I realised I had no lights (Fiat), they took no notice of this and did not ask for a breathalyser.
Stopped last week at a peage coming north from Reims, where they asked for my driving licence and checked it through a tablet. Happy with that, said it was a bit froid and on our way in a couple of minutes.
As for the API; we were taking a 16yo German student to France with us and completed the API early to ensure smooth passage; no problem they did not even look at her on the way over although the French did. On the way back the UK passport controller did have a chat and we did not have the documents immediately to hand but they were happy; I explained we had filled in the API so had expected to be quizzed then. As the CO said "We are far more interested in who is coming in rather than who is leaving". Makes you wonder why the API is not required for entering the country rather than leaving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back