Not sure if my lock cover is right? (1 Viewer)

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
2002 Swift Bel-Air

The lock cover doesn't seem to meet very well with the latch cover fitted to the van. No big deal but leaves a fair old gap when trying to keep flies and mosquitos out.

Not having seen another Bel-Air to compare it with I wondered if the door/lock assembly is the same as other models (Kontiki etc?)

20100424-IMG_5226.jpg

Lock cover slid open

20100424-IMG_5229.jpg

Shape of latch cover doesn't match the lock cover

20100424-IMG_5228.jpg

Leaving a gap when its closed

Anyone recognise the parts and know which bits, if any, need replacing?

OP
OP
neilmac

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
try opening the door and then see how far it closes, it only needs to close when the door is open

Thanks for that, but the gap is the same with door open/closed which is why I suspect that the two parts are not meant for each other.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
same as my kontiki......or it was 'til madam slammed the door and broke the bit that covers the latch.

mine had a furry draft excluder fixed to it.....same as the sticky backed sponge tape stuff for house doors and windows.

worked a treat 'til she broke it. :Sad:

edit.

just had another look at your pics and the center one shows the latch cover too far to the left and too close to the door frame.
doesnt look like it can be altered though as it appears the two fixings are very close to the door frame edge as it is.
the left side of the lock/handle should be hidden behind the moulded cover when the door is closed.

OP
OP
neilmac

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
just had another look at your pics and the center one shows the latch cover too far to the left and too close to the door frame.
doesnt look like it can be altered though as it appears the two fixings are very close to the door frame edge as it is.
the left side of the lock/handle should be hidden behind the moulded cover when the door is closed.

Thanks papajohn, I'll see if the latch cover is moveable on the frame.

There will still be a gap below the latch cover though as the cutout on the sliding lock cover is deeper to allow clearance past the handle when sild shut.

Is your latch cover deeper than mine? - To match the cutout on the sliding cover?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi have a look
Link Removed
product overview
scroll down to locker doors hinges
you will see your lock minus the keep but if you look at eldiss door you get a full pic of lock and keep
terry

OP
OP
neilmac

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Hi have a look
Link Removed
product overview
scroll down to locker doors hinges
you will see your lock minus the keep but if you look at eldiss door you get a full pic of lock and keep
terry

Thanks very much terry, that's a great link :thumb:

The keep shown looks a little different in shape but would still leave the same gap, so I'm still looking.

Mind you that site has the fridge icebox hinges I also need so will be ordering those :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I think I still have the plastic lock/ catch cover - as seen in picture of the lock- in my garage if it is of any use to you.I gave a complete lock away last year to a member who had broken his.Unfortunately it was the only one I had :cry: I got the chance to buy ten at a tenner each :Doh: but I only got one for spares for the van I had at the time :RollEyes: After seeing how much they are going for I should have got more :Doh::ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks papajohn, I'll see if the latch cover is moveable on the frame.

There will still be a gap below the latch cover though as the cutout on the sliding lock cover is deeper to allow clearance past the handle when sild shut.

Is your latch cover deeper than mine? - To match the cutout on the sliding cover?

as you can see in the thumbs mine is really well spaced to fit the door opening.

the two disc's on the latch are the plastic 'through pin' fasteners which hold the cover onto the frame but the corresponding bits on the cover have broken through.

to remove the cover.... first push in the two 'through pins' in the plastic fasteners in the recesses in the cover or the cover will break....mine did when madam slammed the door....then carefully pull the cover free.
without removing the pins the fasteners wont move at all.

Attachments

• IMG_1272_1.jpg
    IMG_1272_1.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1271_1.jpg
    IMG_1271_1.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 9

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!