Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
OK, I've seen the weather forecast.

Instead of West Wales this bank holiday I've decided to do a quick raid to France.

I used to live in Normandy and spend loads of time there and in the South West and in Provence, but I haven't a clue about the area around Calais.

Any suggestions please? We usually wild camp and The Rosabella is a bit doddery so I don't want to do a load of driving - 80-100 miles a day will be OK. We're catching a late ferry tomorrow (Friday) and will stay at the Cite Aire, and we have to be back on the ferry at 19.30 on Monday.

Any suggestions please? Quiet and picturesque are top of the list.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Errrr well........from your neck o' th' woods its a good 200 + miles down to Dover so I reckon as soon as you get there, you can turn around and start driving back!

At 80-100 miles a day that will be just four days so will fit in nicely. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
TDH

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Errrr well........from your neck o' th' woods its a good 200 + miles down to Dover so I reckon as soon as you get there, you can turn around and start driving back!

At 80-100 miles a day that will be just four days so will fit in nicely. ::bigsmile:
:ROFLMAO:
That bit doesn't count!! I'm going to be half way to Dover anyway on Friday!! But thanks for the help:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think City de europe aire a bit grim. Better a night or even 2 on the free port aire at Gravelines, nice little town with eateries and a beach at end of estuary...nice cycling. Then Verune and aire near sea at bray dunes plage. ::bigsmile:

ritaderek

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
Exp
there's two aires at Le Crotoy which is a nice little town on the Somme estuary or on the other side of the river St Valery sur somme. Both within range for your travelling constraints. Both Bologne and St Omer are worth a stroll around.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
there's two aires at Le Crotoy which is a nice little town on the Somme estuary or on the other side of the river St Valery sur somme. Both within range for your travelling constraints. Both Bologne and St Omer are worth a stroll around.

Yes! very nice also, good idea and st valery one of our favourites:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TDH

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Thanks for your thoughts on this. Just in case anybody else is contemplating a quicky to France, this is what we actually did:

Friday:
Left Shrewsbury 16.30 for the 21.25 ferry.
Arrived Corely services, realised passports were in K's car, returned to Shrewsbury!
Re-left Shrewsbury 21.00 for rearranged ferry time of 05.55.

Saturday:
Arrived Calais, 08.30ish, local time.
St Omer for lunch and market mooch.
French war memorial at Notre Dame de Lorette (near Arras) for supper and overnight.

Sunday:
Arras for lunch
Amiens, via war cemetries, for overnight at town centre riverside aire. Dinner in great restaurant, 'Le Porc Saint Leu', and drinks in riverside cocktail bar.

Monday:
Brekkie in lovely coffee shop followed by mooch in Amiens.
Calais via coast road with stop in Wimereaux for walk along the prom, crepes and hot choccie.
Stock up at Cite d'Europe
20.25 ferry home.
Back in Shrewsbury at 00.Gorblimey.

Mileage in France: 238
Mileage in UK: Don't ask!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread