Anyone use a chrome book? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i am thinking of swopping my iPad, and as I only use it for internet stuff, and all my other stuff is android , I have been looking at chrome books , but are they any good , can you use them for internet banking and stuff, or are they just one up from a toy?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
well it seems no one knows, anyway iv been and bought one today, so hopfully ill be able to enlighten you;)if anyone is interested iv bought acer r11, at the moment , well impressed, but early days.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I'm interested :hi:

I was just about to post similar. I haven't got a tablet but my lap top is on it's way out and I was also looking at chromebooks. I realise I won't be able to get a CB with similar screen size to my current laptop (15") but they do look pretty cool.

How you getting on with yours?

I am a big fan of google products but the price difference between their pixel CB and the rest is about 5-600 quid. Any idea what it has that the other haven't?

It's mostly just social stuff I would be using it for. I do like having a lot of films downloaded to watch when away in the van though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Both Mrs T and I have Chrome books for use in the MoHo - find them fine for internet stuff, emails, uploading & downloading fotos, Google maps etc.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Both Mrs T and I have Chrome books for use in the MoHo - find them fine for internet stuff, emails, uploading & downloading fotos, Google maps etc.

Can I ask what model you have? I am tempted to splash out on googles pixel model as I have always been fond of their products.

It is a lot of money though.

Also if you have been using a lap top before, what differences have you noticed between the two?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I got a chromebook with keyboard and touchscreen about 6 months ago. Like it a lot. Mrs mikebeaches also likes it, so she got one too. Seems OK for most things we do. Lightweight, compact and ideal for travelling. Got them both from John Lewis - never knowingly undersold - and they come with a free 2-year warranty.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
:rolleyes:
Can I ask what model you have? I am tempted to splash out on googles pixel model as I have always been fond of their products.

Also if you have been using a lap top before, what differences have you noticed between the two?
I have the acer r 11 , must say at the moment found it brilliant, my old ipad , that i have had for eight years cant hold a candle to it but i suppose time moves on.
havnt had a laptop since having the ipad so cant realy help on that but you will notice i am missing predictive text by useing the keyboard:rolleyes: probably move back to the tablet mode.
one definite thing i have come across is the wifi works for a far greater distance than the ipad.
anything else you would like to know just ask, at the moment cant fault it apart from the keyboard thing, which is down to me being thick rather than the machine, if you are coming from a laptop you wont notice the difference.
one thing to make sure of is if the model you are looking at has touchscreen or not , most havnt.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

I still have a laptop & desktop at home - the only real difference I have found is that you cannot download "third party" programs - such as microsoft word etc. - however Google seems to have acceptable alternatives for most of them

As to what model - not sure they are in the van (where they live) however I bought them from Currys/PC World last year for a bit over £100 - no touchscreen (which suits us fine - not a fan of touchscreens!) - keypad only - so they are probably bottom of the range but they do us fine when camping!! :)

Paul1958

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
Tavira, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I have had a Samsung Chromebook (with a sim card in it) for at least 6 years. I also have a chromebox desktop at home and a chromebit upstairs, plus a google chromecast. I find them all great. I don't do any complicated computing but for internet, photos etc they are fine, as they use the Goggle Chrome Operating System which has equivalents to windows programmes
They are allegedly totally secure and I have never had a problem. I would never go back to windows.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back