Dethleffs / Transit Warning ( may be old news ? .......But) (1 Viewer)

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Alert from the Dethleffs Owners Club and Police which will be of interest to those of you that own a transit based motorhome.( Received via MCC)

SPECIAL THEFT WARNING To Ford Transit based motorhome owners (Dethleffs Fortero, Sunlights until 2010, SED Van). Please note, it is ONLY Transits, NOT Fiats.

There is an epidemic of Transits being broken into and also being stolen. This is because the Transit cab door lock can be duplicated by a picking device widely available. This puts the alarm/immobilisers off and allow entry. The thieves then access the OBD port near the steering wheel to drive off. 65 per month are disappearing in the West Midlands alone! We have had Dethleffs Owners Club members lose their Transit based motorhomes even though they have both keys in the house! Please fit some other, physical security. Adding cab deadlocks would be a start, steering wheel lock also.

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you for heads u , we have Ford based motorhome and use a crook lock and invested in Eddievanbitz security!
We don’t want any scrotes taking our van.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Comfort have upped their premiums on ford based units due to the number of thefts. I put the blame wholly on the manufacturers.
Perhaps mh builders and purchasers should avoid ford based units in protest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Ford Transit base and was warned about this three years ago.
Ours has a wheel clamp, steering wheel disc lock, OBD port lock, drivers and passengers seats locked at together at 90 degrees and Eddie Vanbitz alarm. Hopefully they will walk on to the next Motorhome.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
MCC and Dethleffs Owners Club are a bit slow getting to the party. This has been going on for years, Ford know about it but have no interest in the issue. You can buy a master key off Amazon / eBay etc for about £20.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Deadlocks are the biggest security addition I made to my (fiat based) van. I strongly recommend them as the very first security device to be fitted.

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
MCC and Dethleffs Owners Club are a bit slow getting to the party. This has been going on for years.
That's as maybe .....but not much help to the 65 folks who have had their pride and joy knicked this month !!

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
MCC and Dethleffs Owners Club are a bit slow getting to the party. This has been going on for years, Ford know about it but have no interest in the issue. You can buy a master key off Amazon / eBay etc for about £20.
Thats it, tell other scum bags who did not know.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thieves like opertunity, even after casing a motorhome, they like to be in quietly, steal and be gone, so the more visual deterrents the better.

I've added all that I can, but my latest is this strap as another visual means and deterrent. Also means they'll struggle to open the doors.

The strap is also high enough for me to slip under and still drive safely away when I'm wild camping, should the need arise.
IMG_1478.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2011
So how should this information be passed on for owners to be made aware then ? or would you rather not know until your pride and joy disappears ?
The inforformation was was posted on the first post. To be aware fit more security. I did not know that you could buy master keys on eBay. Maybe i'm think. If I was a scum bag I would know now.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I think deadlocks should now be very high up on most peoples accessory list. I know for myself, this is one of the first things being fitted to my refit.

The thefts are one thing (and awful), but the threads like from @Riverbankannie the other week where her handbag was stolen whilst asleep in van really made me think.

What if a scumbag broke into our van the same way and ran away when they saw the dog? What if the dog then ran after them and was hurt? I'd feel like it was my fault if I hadn't done something to prevent this, after reading others experiences.

Mine are on order and will be fitted next week.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
The inforformation was was posted on the first post. To be aware fit more security. I did not know that you could buy master keys on eBay. Maybe i'm think. If I was a scum bag I would know now.

But now you do now and have the choice whether to make it harder for scum or not. Surely that's a good thing?

It isn't like thieves weren't aware before this thread.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2011
But now you do now and have the choice whether to make it harder for scum or not. Surely that's a good thing?

I do know, that is why I make it harder for the scum bags. People telling scumbags how easy it is get into vans, who do not know is stupid.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2011

Yes tell owners to be aware. IE Add security. Don't tell scumbags how to do it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I do know, that is why I make it harder for the scum bags. People telling scumbags how easy it is get into vans, who do not know is stupid.
Yes tell owners to be aware. IE Add security. Don't tell scumbags how to do it.
They may be scum bags but they are not stupid. They already know how easy it is to break into Transits for years. They have learnt it from their other scum bag mates in the pub. That is why so many work vans are broken into for the tools.

It does not take many brain cells for them to realise that some motorhomes use the same base cab with the same locks. But many owners do not know this because they do not drink with these scum bags and therefore don't take the extra precautions they should to protect their pride and joy.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2011
They may be scum bags but they are not stupid. They already know how easy it is to break into Transits for years. They have learnt it from their other scum bag mates in the pub. That is why so many work vans are broken into for the tools.

It does not take many brain cells for them to realise that some motorhomes use the same base cab with the same locks. But many owners do not know this because they do not drink with these scum bags and therefore don't take the extra precautions they should to protect their pride and joy.
But why tell the one's that done know.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Everybody knows about fords , just google how easy is it to break into a ford

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It's a pity that Ford haven't sorted out the Transit vulnerabilities and made it more thief resistant.

Otherwise I would have a Transit PVC on my wish list, now that Ford have made a new automatic gearbox an option.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Nah, what's stupid is not knowing what's been common knowledge for over a decade.
Cap.Fits.Wear.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
It's a pity that Ford haven't sorted out the Transit vulnerabilities and made it more thief resistant.

Otherwise I would have a Transit PVC on my wish list, now that Ford have made a new automatic gearbox an option.
Too true. IMO this should be an issue for the manufacturers and they should be doing a 100% recall to retrofit improved locking / anti theft measures. Of there's a known issue, and they're continuing to supply base vehicles with a known and proven security issue, then surely this is at the least a sale of goods "unfit for purpose... ' argument?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back