Adblue (1 Viewer)

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Coming home with my MH I got a Adblue warning come on and then engine management light come on this is on a Mercedes sprinter 2016. Took it to Mercedes and when I went to collect it I was told it was because I was using and I quote (Fault code P1C6A00 inadequate adblue quality) so am going to Autosave I get my adblue from them and ask what he thinks.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Doesn't happen in wagons that are Euro 6 and they use variable quality of pigs stuff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bilM
Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Am I being cynical or should that read: "Fault code P1C6A00 inadequate adblue sensor quality" ?

No it does not say sensor quality.
151A6014.JPG

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
No it does not say sensor quality.View attachment 216340
They were saying that the Mercedes sensor quality of info might be more of a factor than quality of adblue which i would go along with as well. Like any precision tech stuff more possibility of going wrong (ie outside of parameters ). Similar to accuracy of volkswagen sensor equipment :rolleyes:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Oh well, that rules out making your own adblue.

[Not that my Euro 6 Ducato needs it. :)]

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Can someone explain why the vehicle makers are getting away with selling engines so poor they need pee added to run ?

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Can someone explain why the vehicle makers are getting away with selling engines so poor they need pee added to run ?
They're not, they run fine without it.... It's the emissions that are cleaner with it added (y)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
If rhey only ‘topped up’ surely the inadequate adblue is still in the system, just less of it.
I would agree with that and the bill doesn't show the quantity added either.

I recently had mine topped up by 7 litres while the van was in at Peugeot for some other work and the bill showed exactly how much they had added and charged for.

If they genuinely believed the AdBlue was poor quality, they should have flushed it out before adding their own superior stuff.

Deleted User
My observation stands then !

No.

The engineers have gone as far as they can at the moment in making the combustion process as efficient as possible, although I am sure research is still being carried out, unfortunately all combustion processes leave by products, gases, water, particulates.

With progressive Euro standards for emissions various methods for cleaning up these emissions have been used, one of which uses adblue, particulate filters, some use EGR and some now use a combination.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No.

The engineers have gone as far as they can at the moment in making the combustion process as efficient as possible, although I am sure research is still being carried out, unfortunately all combustion processes leave by products, gases, water, particulates.

With progressive Euro standards for emissions various methods for cleaning up these emissions have been used, one of which uses adblue, particulate filters, some use EGR and some now use a combination.
So 50 years ago we could go to the moon, today we incapable of designing an engine that does not require an additive..
Smacks badly of lazy engineering...
Or worse.......

Deleted User
So 50 years ago we could go to the moon, today we incapable of designing an engine that does not require an additive..
Smacks badly of lazy engineering...
Or worse.......

Oh well....................

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
things like this boil my piss.....oops thats where adblue comes from. the cheap stuff being less concentrated

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I accidentally spilt some AdBlue in the locker where it is refilled and didn't notice it as it's a clear liquid.
Within a week a huge cluster of white crystals appeared across the locker floor covering and up the carpeted side wall; a right devil to remove it was too!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I accidentally spilt some AdBlue in the locker where it is refilled and didn't notice it as it's a clear liquid.
Within a week a huge cluster of white crystals appeared across the locker floor covering and up the carpeted side wall; a right devil to remove it was too!

Did you manage to get it off the carpeted side wall completely?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Please accept my apologies if this has been covered, but what does adblue actually do?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Please accept my apologies if this has been covered, but what does adblue actually do?
It chemically breaks down the Nitrogen-oxide to nitrogen and water, I think just changes the combination of one polluting material with another to make another ??????????????? All engines produce oxides of nitrogen. Jet engines make loads and that is why we have an LEZ in London to try and nullify the pollution from Heathrow upwind of London, by cutting back on the vehicles.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It chemically breaks down the Nitrogen-oxide to nitrogen and water, I think just changes the combination of one polluting material with another to make another ??????????????? All engines produce oxides of nitrogen. Jet engines make loads and that is why we have an LEZ in London to try and nullify the pollution from Heathrow upwind of London, by cutting back on the vehicles.
What he said and it's pig's urine

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I have not really been too particular with regard to where I purchase it or who manufactured it. Last lot I bought was on a forecourt in Germany. Not had a problem, but my engine is Iveco so may very well be the Mercedes sensors are a bit more sensitive.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
So are Merc engineering this in on purpose so that you have to buy their adblue?

I bought addblue in a service station in Spain for my Merc - used it no problem!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back